Using a desktop like a laptop

Zarquan

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 4, 2019
I usually use a gaming laptop as my computer for the simple reason that I don't have a desk. I also don't want a desk. I like gaming from a couch on my lap with the monitor on a hinge with a keyboard attached. I only game from one place, my couch, but I also need to be able to clear my computer stuff away when there are guests. I believe that a gaming laptop is not optimal, as gaming laptops are far less powerful than desktops of similar cost, even if you take in to account a decent monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I also have to worry about thermals when gaming because the actual computer is on my lap rather than to the side.

I am willing to pay these costs for the laptop form factor. But I feel like I should not have to choose between a more powerful machine and a device I can use like a laptop in this way.

I would like to know if anyone knows of or has made a monitor-keyboard combo that is good for gaming, meaning it has a good monitor (resolution, refresh rate, aspect ratio, etc) and keyboard. I've seen devices for smart phones, but they tend to have too small of a screen, as they are geared for portability rather than gaming. I have also seen these for server rooms, but they are obscenely expensive and have lousy specs.

I have considered streaming, but I would rather not have the most basic functionality of my computer depend on the stability of my router.

I'm thinking this fits in a small form factor forum because the actual monitor and keyboard are usually larger usable space hogs than the actual computer.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
You'd likely have to DIY this, I've never seen an actual product like this. There are "lapdesks" for a keyboard and mouse for TV gaming, and some are good, but none with attached monitors. There are also various small monitors available from Taobao, Aliexpress and some times Amazon, but they're usually expensive, bad or both. Your use case is a rather small niche, sadly. There are relatively "simple" DIY controller boards for buying a laptop display panel and connecting it via HDMI or DP, but you'd need to build the casing/hinge setup/keyboard+mouse rest yourself. The upside is that you'd get to select your display panel and size yourself, and could even get FreeSync if you want to.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I am not sure what you are exactly looking for but are these coming close?

It can accommodate 13.3'' monitor of 13mm internal thickness (whatever it means) and take 330mm long display card (50mm thickness)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I am not sure what you are exactly looking for but are these coming close?

It can accommodate 13.3'' monitor of 13mm internal thickness (whatever it means) and take 330mm long display card (50mm thickness)

I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about having a desktop PC on the floor or somewhere close to the couch, but with a lap-"mounted" keyboard+monitor combo, not fitting the entire PC into a laptop-ish form factor.

Reactions: Zarquan

Zarquan

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 4, 2019
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about having a desktop PC on the floor or somewhere close to the couch, but with a lap-"mounted" keyboard+monitor combo, not fitting the entire PC into a laptop-ish form factor.

Exactly what I want.

Zarquan

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 4, 2019
You'd likely have to DIY this, I've never seen an actual product like this. There are "lapdesks" for a keyboard and mouse for TV gaming, and some are good, but none with attached monitors. There are also various small monitors available from Taobao, Aliexpress and some times Amazon, but they're usually expensive, bad or both. Your use case is a rather small niche, sadly. There are relatively "simple" DIY controller boards for buying a laptop display panel and connecting it via HDMI or DP, but you'd need to build the casing/hinge setup/keyboard+mouse rest yourself. The upside is that you'd get to select your display panel and size yourself, and could even get FreeSync if you want to.

It's a shame I'm not very crafty on that scale. When there are moving parts, I don't trust my constructions over long periods of time.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
... you know you could fab something up, but I almost think this is a case where the laptop makes more sense.

Would you be willing to use wireless kB/m and controller on a lap board and have a sff case hooked up to a tv?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Ah, that is what he is talking about. Now I see.

Zarquan

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 4, 2019
... you know you could fab something up, but I almost think this is a case where the laptop makes more sense.

Would you be willing to use wireless kB/m and controller on a lap board and have a sff case hooked up to a tv?

Not really. I am a bit nearsighted, so I can't really use the TV because I can't read things from across the room. Also, I would rather not inflict my games or other computing activities on other people.

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Cool idea, can't believe I didn't think of it when designing my "lapdesk"/portable PC. You could buy 2 aluminium sheets, 2 or 3 hinges like I did for my project and just put them together for a lapboard with a portable screen on hinges (17'' 144Hz are still quite affordable).

Basically the 2 top sheets of my "lapdesk", but probably both 2mm thick for rigidity (or bottom sheet even thicker). Bottom sheet larger to also work as a lap desk/space for mousepad?

I don't like cables around so I'd probably go for a wireless keyboard, mouse and headphones, the only cables to the lapboard would be monitor power and display

Last edited: