Accessory USB key drive for ITX storage

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
This Silverstone ML05 will be very crowded soon. My pc storage hovers around 50-75Gb. Can I ditch the HDD or SSD for a 3.0 usb key drive of 128 Gb or so for my storage. I am Win 10 now. I don't game or office, just mail,shop, etc. Oldie, but still newbie. I have more questions than answers, so far. Thanks, dinosoar.

Reactions: Biowarejak

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
You could, but it wouldn't be very fast and depending on the drive may result in a near unusable condition.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Most USB drives aren't really usable as a main storage device and will wear out soon. As @GentlemanShark said, most USB sticks have appauling performance compared to even the worst SSDs, which you will especially feel in a desktop OS.

You'll inevitably run into the more expensive "SSD-like" USB sticks that cost a pretty penny and aren't that small. Your best bet is to get something like the Samsung 750 EVO SSD like @Aibohphobia did in his STX160.0 project:

Depending on the motherboard, there might be other options.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks to ALL respondents on the USB storage question. I'll take my "dents" on that one! That dart sure missed the bull's eye. SSD it is!