USB-C Portable Monitors

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
A USB C cable can share TWO DP lanes with a USB3 link, and that's enough bandwidth, at least for the current resolutions.

Very interesting. I haven't heard of this mixed mode before but looking at the intro

• DisplayPort can be combined with USB 3.1 operation over the same USB Type-C cable – Implemented with two high speed pairs for DP (using two lane DP operation), and two high speed pairs for USB (USB 3.1 only uses two high speed lanes for normal operation)

Fancy. So everything but 4K and USB 3.1 ... but which gen, Gen 1 or Gen 2? https://superuser.com/a/1213324/41259 apparently Gen 2. I wasn't aware of this capability, really, very interesting. I guess it's used less because dock makers don't want to release "2K display" capable docks only?

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I'm about to run into the same problem with my own MB169C+ monitor. I'm currently using one as my main monitor, but the GPU I plan on buying (1650 low profile) does not have a type-c connector.

*Edit - Just checked, the StarTech CDP2DPUCP doesn't work, does anyone know of any alternatives?

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Of course we do. I am now a mod of r/UsbCHardware/ that's a treasure trove of knowledge about all things USB-C and I am everywhere spreading the gospel :)

You are looking for the Delock 63928 https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_63928/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en

This adapter by Delock is suitable for the connection of a USB-C™ monitor to a computer with DisplayPort interface.

But, it doesn't provide power on the USB C connector. If that is also necessary then you need https://cforcedesign.com/collection...central-hub-video-processor-for-cf015c-cf012s which reportedly has a fan and it's loud. But this being the forum it is, I wouldn't be surprised if within a week posting this someone would show how to do a Noctua fan swap :D

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I am now a mod of r/UsbCHardware/ that's a treasure trove of knowledge about all things USB-C and I am everywhere spreading the gospel :)
You had my interest but now you have my attention. ?

I'd love usb-c to unify the world again like micro usb did, but I can't help thinking that mixing host/client interface into a single port is bad design. With micro usb you know it must be the client, but dp output over usb-c for example, is still the same port.

What happen if one plugs a usb-c charger to a usb-c output (tb3 or dp, whatever)?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
You had my interest but now you have my attention. ?

I'd love usb-c to unify the world again like micro usb did, but I can't help thinking that mixing host/client interface into a single port is bad design. With micro usb you know it must be the client, but dp output over usb-c for example, is still the same port.

What happen if one plugs a usb-c charger to a usb-c output (tb3 or dp, whatever)?
USB-C chargers don't output any voltage until this has been negotiated between the USB-PD source and drain, so at least on paper nothing at all should happen (though a PC would likely give some sort of error message). It's supposed to be relatively idiot-proof, though the early debacle of non-compliant cables showed that even a negotiated solution with chips on each end can be messed up by bad engineering. Mind you, I haven't tried plugging a laptop charger into the type-C port on my desktop, but now you've got me intrigued XD

Still, you're right that there is plenty of potential for confusion when host and device ports are the same. I guess that's the price we pay for universality. The fact that the same cable can charge my phone and serve as a 10GbE Thunderbolt Networking link between two laptops (or power a monitor or VR headset) is cool enough that I'll gladly live with some confusion :p

Reactions: Soul_Est