DP over USB-C Power Injection

CarbonVirus

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 6, 2016
So I'm quite interested in purchasing an ASUS MB16AC for my LAN rig to scratch the maximum-portability itch I have, but I'm having quite the time trying to locate a discrete GPU that has a USB-C connector on it.
According to the FAQ section of displayport.org DP over USB-C should provide the necessary power:
Q: Can we expect to see displays using DisplayPort over USB-C for video input?
A: Yes. Displays will also take advantage of the USB Type-C connector to enable the use of the reversible connector as well as carry USB data and power over the same cable. This can allow the inclusion of a USB hub in the monitor, for example, and allow the monitor to provide power to the computer – thereby enabling a single cable for desktop use of a portable system. A standard, full-featured USB Type-C cable would be used in such configuration.
Has anyone found a discrete GPU that provides a USB-C connection (other than the vaper-hardware MSI GTX 1080 TI Gaming X)?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I know that feel, LOL

MSI's the only one so far, and I don't think all the GPU makers would adopt it that quickly. Hell, they're still hugging that DVI port

Reactions: jtd871

khaaamy

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 29, 2017
I have the same monitor, and just to save you some effort, I tried to see if I could use existing DP + USB-C PD to USB-C converters, and reverse the intended direction of use. No dice - the chip that converts the video signal is not reversible, though power delivery does work. GeChic monitors are really the only way to go for now, until someone makes a converter or more GPUs come out with USB-C.

Reactions: VegetableStu