USB-C Portable Monitors

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 17, 2016
Hi,

Is it possible to use this monitor with a normal GPU-equipped PC? Maybe thru the use of DisplayPort over USB type C? I know that this product is designed for laptop users with USB type C ports.

Asus MB169C+

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Hi,

Is it possible to use this monitor with a normal GPU-equipped PC? Maybe thru the use of DisplayPort over USB type C? I know that this product is designed for laptop users with USB type C ports.

Asus MB169C+
Probably, if you can find a Displayport to USB C Active adapter.

Edit: I didn't read it right. You can if you have a USB C 3.1 port on your computer.

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It looks like no: this product specifically requires a Type C port that supports the DP Alternate Mode: i.e. a port that is linked to an actual DP output. If you have a Type C port on your motherboard, for example, it would either have no DP Alternate Mode, or be linked to the CPU integrated graphics' DP output.

I have not seen a single desktop motherboard that has had a Type C port supporting the DP Alternate Mode (or the HDMI Alternate Mode for that matter).
The only hope would be for someone to create an adapter that 'slipstream' a normal Displayport output into a Type C connector, but I am not aware of any existing. It is slightly more difficult than just a passive adapter, as a Type C connecot can always be assumed to have a USB2 link present, whereas regular DP does not.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
The only hope would be for someone to create an adapter that 'slipstream' a normal Displayport output into a Type C connector, but I am not aware of any existing. It is slightly more difficult than just a passive adapter, as a Type C connecot can always be assumed to have a USB2 link present, whereas regular DP does not.

I looked around for an adapter like this with no luck. I'm thinking it would need to have inputs from the GPU's DP, a USB 2.0 connector, and a 5V power source capable of USB Power Delivery v2.0 (it could be that the USB connector may just need to be plugged into a USB 3.1 connector on the motherboard).

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Why bother? GeChic 1503H or 2501H is your friend. In general, if you want advice on what monitor to haul around, ask chx :)

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
What are you looking to use such a monitor for? I've had good success turning laptop panels into portable monitors.

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 17, 2016
I looked around for an adapter like this with no luck. I'm thinking it would need to have inputs from the GPU's DP, a USB 2.0 connector, and a 5V power source capable of USB Power Delivery v2.0 (it could be that the USB connector may just need to be plugged into a USB 3.1 connector on the motherboard).

or maybe nvidia/amd add USB type-C as a video output option for GPUs. But yeah I was thinking if a passive adapter is enough to use the DP on gpu to usb-c on the monitor.

What are you looking to use such a monitor for? I've had good success turning laptop panels into portable monitors.

because there is no proper portable monitors for desktops (with steamboxes gaining popularity) except for GeChic.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I made my own by going with guides like this one:
(He goes all out and makes a custom acrylic case but you could get away with something much easier)

You basically use a laptop LCD screen, buy a controller board, and then bring it all together. I mounted mine to a piece of wood and then attached it to the lid of a pelican case. I get power off the SFX PSU molex connector (the converter board runs off 12v so it is an easy splice).

If you wanted to go a different route you'd have to make/repurpose an enclosure. Get the screen and converter, and if you were looking for truly portable you could try getting a lithium battery (or be lazy and get a power bank and and a buck board voltage booster to boost 5V usb to the minimum need for the controller card) then whip it all together. Similar to the GeChic but I made mine for $150ish. Someone else on the forums just found a 4k kit with a controller board plus panel for about $399 (I don't even think GeChic does 4k?)

Not for everyone but it is an option. I've also thought about mounting a monitor directly to the side/top of my case....

See how I did it: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/deployment-box.567/

4k monitor: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/small-4k-monitor.1233/#post-24214

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I made my own by going with guides like this one:
(He goes all out and makes a custom acrylic case but you could get away with something much easier)

You basically use a laptop LCD screen, buy a controller board, and then bring it all together. I mounted mine to a piece of wood and then attached it to the lid of a pelican case. I get power off the SFX PSU molex connector (the converter board runs off 12v so it is an easy splice).

If you wanted to go a different route you'd have to make/repurpose an enclosure. Get the screen and converter, and if you were looking for truly portable you could try getting a lithium battery (or be lazy and get a power bank and and a buck board voltage booster to boost 5V usb to the minimum need for the controller card) then whip it all together. Similar to the GeChic but I made mine for $150ish. Someone else on the forums just found a 4k kit with a controller board plus panel for about $399 (I don't even think GeChic does 4k?)

Not for everyone but it is an option. I've also thought about mounting a monitor directly to the side/top of my case....

See how I did it: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/deployment-box.567/

4k monitor: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/small-4k-monitor.1233/#post-24214
Yep or even maybe make a custom case for the monitor and controller board

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
or maybe nvidia/amd add USB type-C as a video output option for GPUs. But yeah I was thinking if a passive adapter is enough to use the DP on gpu to usb-c on the monitor.

Nope. USB-C Alternative Modes need to be negotiated so you'd need some circuits, it's not just rearranging the pins.

zad

Case Bender
Jan 31, 2017
I currently own an Asus MB169C+ which was working fine with my Asus Z170-Premium MB, along with two other monitors. The Asus Z170-Premium has a powered USB Type C Port which support DP Alternate Mode. Now that I have installed my new GPU (Asus DUAL-GTX1070-O8G), the Asus MB169C+ does not work anymore.

My first idea has been to try to activate both display adapters (drivers) simultaneously. I was hoping that the driver of the onboard GPU, which is Intel HD Graphics 530, could still manage the DP signal over USB-C and that the Asus GPU, with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 driver, would manage the other monitors. But Windows 10 won't let me do that, as I don't think it is supported. I am not able to install the intel driver when the NVIDIA driver is installed.

My second idea was to use an adaptor which would use a DP-out of my GPU, provide power and transfer DP signal to a USB-C connector. As mentioned on Asus FAQ for the MB169C+:
"Q5: Can I buy third party adaptor to transfer DP signal to USB-C?
A: To certain extent, Yes, but the adaptor needs to have built-in IC to transfer DP signal and provide power capability as original DP port doesn’t support power output."
Still I haven't been able to find any suitable adaptor on the market and no model is mentioned on Asus website.

I have contacted Asus support two times, and exchanged with their first level of support, and this was really not helping as their responses were incomplete and too basic. They did not help solve my issue.

Do you guys have any thoughts about how I can solve this? Any luck finding an adaptor on your side?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Is there a BIOS setting to enable both the iGPU and dGPU at the same time?

Otherwise you're in the same boat as me, there's no adapter apparently to make that monitor work with video cards :(

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
I almost bought that monitor before seeing those restrictions. Such a shame. I had hoped you could at-least use it in the same way as the mb169b+ until wider support for the standard was implemented...
Otherwise you're in the same boat as me, there's no adapter apparently to make that monitor work with video cards
I assume you can't use it with the stick in pcie express thunderbolt cards?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Asus Z170-Premium MB
Looking at the manual (p.3-36) there is no explicit option for activating both the PCIe GPU and iGPU at the same time. However, I believe the terribly named "iGPU Multi Monitor" setting is the one needed, located under "Advanced" > "System Agent" > "Graphics Configuration". "Primary Display" may need to be set to "PEG" rather than "AUTO" or "PCIe" (Asus confusingly refers to PCIe slots connected to the CPU as "PEG", and PCIe slots connected to the chipset as "PCIe", with absolutely no explanation that this is the case).

zad

Case Bender
Jan 31, 2017
Looking at the manual (p.3-36) there is no explicit option for activating both the PCIe GPU and iGPU at the same time. However, I believe the terribly named "iGPU Multi Monitor" setting is the one needed, located under "Advanced" > "System Agent" > "Graphics Configuration". "Primary Display" may need to be set to "PEG" rather than "AUTO" or "PCIe" (Asus confusingly refers to PCIe slots connected to the CPU as "PEG", and PCIe slots connected to the chipset as "PCIe", with absolutely no explanation that this is the case).

Big thanks @EdZ for pointing out that BIOS settings. It works!!! :thumb::)

I was able to complete my build, here is the proof showing the Asus MB169C+ up and running with my PCIe GPU: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/k7P323

I did not see that setting when I browsed the BIOS in search of a solution and as you said, the manual does not explain very well those settings, but at least the description in the BIOS is better. When I enabled "iGPU-Multi Monitor", the "Primary Display" changed automatically to "IGFX" with the only other option being "PEG", which I selected. I was able to reinstall the Intel HD Graphics 530 driver and now both display adapter are available in Device Manager of Windows 10. @Aibohphobia, I did not try the Thunderbolt expansion card option, but I know the Asus Z170-Premium support the Asus ThunderboltEX 3, which also provide a USB Type C port.

boborambow

What's an ITX?
Apr 29, 2017
I have a computer that I built in the Silverstone RVZ02 case. I have it next to my couch. I've always wanted to create a way to use a Laptop keyboard and Monitor with it. The video that was shared was really awesome, but I didn't know how I would make a full keyboard and monitor setup. I ended up using my Razer Turret and I 3d printed a bracket to mount my USB monitor to it. I'm using the AOC e1659FWUX. It's 1080p and it works really well. If you want to do the same, I uploaded the 3d design to thinigiverse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2283453

I'm still working on the angle, but here is what it looks like:

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017

In the press release MSI states the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z graphics card combines groundbreaking new technology with proven features such as TriFrozr, TORX 2.0 Fan, Military Class 4 components and Mystic Light. Btw the photo that is brought into circulation at the usual leaking clickbait sites, is not accurate.

Next to that, MSI will also be releasing a GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G Graphics Card with USB Type C connector. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G features Pascal-powered graphics and MSI’s exclusive TWIN FROZR VI Thermal Design to deliver cool and quiet gaming graphics with unprecedented performance and power efficiency. With a USB Type C, the interface support is even more flexible. Some some monitors already offer the interface adn paired with a graphics card it can function and use a broad display protocols like passing DisplayPort, Thunderbolt and HDMI. So basically thunderbolt or any other USB-C configuration (DP, HDMI) for the display signal.

More next week.