Log Upgrading an i7 computer from 2011

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
I have a computer that’s almost 12 years old now.

It has one of the first i7 processors, is maxed out at 24 G of RAM and the video card is a GTX 1080.

I'm thinking of just taking the harddrives and video card and building a new upgraded computer
with a new motherboard, processor , RAM and case.

I know the GTX 1080 is kinda old now but I feel with a new CPU and new motherboard capable of using more RAM it could still be put to good use and be a big improvement performance wise.

What do you guys think and recommend?

Reactions: m.trix

m.trix

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2019
I am actually doing something similar to with, albeit upgrading my 6700K that has served me faithfully and put up with my abuse over the years (overclocking, watercooling, etc).
Was able to pick up a 5800X3D during the Labor Sales & some 3200 RAM. Also snagged a used AM4 board off of eBay to go with it. Will be transplanting them from my Skyreach S4M, into the Lian Li Dan H2O. Holding onto my GTX 1080 mini, cuz it still handles most of the games that I still play (minor graphics tweaks).
There was an article that one of the Mods on here did able the 1080 still being viable, even now. Of course 30xx cards and Radeon are coming down in price but I plan on holding out until the holidays for the really steep discounts.
~ Cheers

Reactions: rfarmer

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
For a gaming setup....get a 5600X, a B550 motherboard, 16GB of DDR4...and whatever tier of GPU you can afford with your left over money. Nvidia is manipulating the markets again, and the price-falls have stalled at MSRP (for FE cards) and 110% of FE-card-MSRP for AIB cards....and probably will not go lower in retail channels.

The new AM5 stuff is coming out this fall...but expect beta-quality BIOS/UEFI issues with that. New GPUs are also coming out, but only the top-end first and mre expensive than the last gen stuff that is going to be simultaneously sold (to keep inventory low and prices up).

m.trix

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2019
For a gaming setup....get a 5600X, a B550 motherboard, 16GB of DDR4...and whatever tier of GPU you can afford with your left over money. Nvidia is manipulating the markets again, and the price-falls have stalled at MSRP (for FE cards) and 110% of FE-card-MSRP for AIB cards....and probably will not go lower in retail channels.

The new AM5 stuff is coming out this fall...but expect beta-quality BIOS/UEFI issues with that. New GPUs are also coming out, but only the top-end first and mre expensive than the last gen stuff that is going to be simultaneously sold (to keep inventory low and prices up).
I've noticed, that on some (not all) retailers, they have been "trying" to maintain MSRP pricing but they are still trying to offload inventory. AFAIK, B&H and a few others have slipped below "market" prices and even seen a few "Opened box/Returned" items below the next lower tier. So you can find deals. It just takes a lot of hunting and waiting.
Either way you slice it, it wouldn't hurt to wait for some deals while you upgrade. Maybe a used board or affordable kit of DDR4. Save some $$ here and there and still get a good upgrade.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
Cheapest DDR4 S1700 board you can get + 12100 non F, or decent AM4 (B550) + 5800X3D.

That's what I would do with AM5 comming out soon.

Both very capable the i3-12100 will give you a big upgrade and can be useful without a dedicated GPU (my i3-2100 is still in use as my parents desktop). No more than 50W (no expensive board needed), no heatsink needed and only ~140.

The 5800X3D might carry you as far as your i7 did, but it also might not. Very efficient, very interesting (collectable) but expensive and would need a dedicated GPU for future retirement.

Reactions: m.trix

m.trix

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2019
Cheapest DDR4 S1700 board you can get + 12100 non F, or decent AM4 (B550) + 5800X3D.

That's what I would do with AM5 comming out soon.

Both very capable the i3-12100 will give you a big upgrade and can be useful without a dedicated GPU (my i3-2100 is still in use as my parents desktop). No more than 50W (no expensive board needed), no heatsink needed and only ~140.

The 5800X3D might carry you as far as your i7 did, but it also might not. Very efficient, very interesting (collectable) but expensive and would need a dedicated GPU for future retirement.
I chose the B550 w/ 5800X3D route. Was able to score one for about $50ish off MSRP & I like the concept of the additional L3 cache. I just "retired" my i7, which was Skylake (og 6700K) and it served me very well.

@tinyitx That was the article that renewed my affection for my 1080 mini. It still runs very well, despite it's age.
"Maybe I don't need to upgrade completely just yet..."