Unnamed - Slim PIO based build

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
I have been playing around with some new toys with the aim of building a small slim build to take travelling with me.

I'm aiming for hardback A4 book size (letter paper size for my US cousins) to allow some decent 1080p gaming for hotel room stays.

Here as some pics for your viewing pleasure:

Board, CPU, CPU block and 150mm heatpipes pipes all laid out. GPU is de-shrouded and put in place.

That's the CPU cooling Aluminium block that will eventually get bolted onto the CPU heatpipes. Blue area is to cut out ready for the the noctua to sit in it.

I have a very nice forum member on bit-tech printing me a GPU fan bracket to hold the dual 80mm's, link to the .SKP is here: Linky

That's it for the moment. Obviously more to come....

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Model and source of your motherboard, PLEASE!!! ?

Re-looking around, I found this

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Build list:

CPU: i5-9500k
M/B: TH310C-P (supports 6th-9th gen CPU's)
RAM: 32gb Samsung Sodimm
GPU: MSI LP 1650 OC
PSU: 12V Laptop brick

I took the big boy dremel out and attacked the aliminium heatsink:

The fan now fits in nicely (I overcut slightly, but this is more a POC, if it works satisfactorily I will try to get it CNC'd).

Used quite a bit of the wheel!

Model and source of your motherboard, PLEASE!!! ?

See the parts list :D

Yea what motherboard is that? Where do you put the RAM?

It uses Sodimm

The RAM looks like it is in 2 sodimms parallel to the motherboard, under the longer heatpipes of the cpu cooler.

Spot on

Re-looking around, I found this

Thats it!

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
How does the Mobo get power? I see a single 6pin. But no 24pin or anything... Seems pretty cool TBH. Looking forward not following this thread.

watts_happening

Caliper Novice
Apr 15, 2020
Power is via a DIN connector on the back. From what I've read, it sounds like the 6-pin connector can be used either for power in *or* for power passthrough to a GPU or other devices.

Nice work, goatee! I hope to follow up with a similar thread with my own build.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
While I’m waiting for the 3D printed GPU fan holder to arrive I assembled my build.

Posting to BIOS shows a nice mid 20’s temp on the I5-9600k. I think I’m convinced this will work.

The only issue I have is I remembered I had a niche radiator I keep meaning to get in a build.....

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
3D printed bracket arrived.

I got it installed on the LP1650 with twin thin 80mm fans.

Running the fans at 12V it’s got a low hum, nothing obtrusive.

Furmark tops out and is constant at 60c after 30mins.

watts_happening

Caliper Novice
Apr 15, 2020
@Goatee What kind of SSD do you have installed? NVMe or SATA? I've tried both Samsung 970 EVO Plus and 970 Pro NVMe drives, but the board is not recognizing them at all. Tried turning off CSM in the BIOS and checking other settings, but no luck. BIOS updates and support for the TH310C-P are non-existent as far as I can tell.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
There is a switch on the board to move between Sata and NVME for the M2 slot.

Make sure its set to NVME if your using an NVME drive.

Let me know how you get on.

Reactions: Arboreal

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Power is via a DIN connector on the back. From what I've read, it sounds like the 6-pin connector can be used either for power in *or* for power passthrough to a GPU or other devices.

Nice work, goatee! I hope to follow up with a similar thread with my own build.

@watts_happening I'm just about to try using the 6 pin to power the board. Did you ever try useing the 6 pin as a input?

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
There are two options for this 6-pin connector and i was wrong about every board can provide 6pin power for GPU
I am curios if this 6 pin is like 12V PCI-E power for GPU (ground pins will tell) or it will work with reversed 6 pin 19V HDPlex too

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Thats an awesome bit of info.

I have the TH310C-P which from looking at that chart means the 6 pin next to the 4 pin DIN is actually a 12V in.

For me that's great news as it means I can run an 12V power supply to run the board and the GPU using internal connections.

For your question what do you want to know? need a photo of the 6 pin?

watts_happening

Caliper Novice
Apr 15, 2020
@Goatee no I never tried powering via the 6 pin connector. Couple thoughts:
  1. The position of the "rounded" pins vs square pins may give some clues. I would guess it can handle a standard motherboard EPS pinout like my Supermicro Epyc 3251 server board.
  2. If you have an electrical continuity tester, I would bet that 6 pin plug probably connects via traces directly to the 4p pin DIN plug. That might give some clues about the +12v vs ground.