Unnamed M-ATX build

DeMoB

Chassis Packer
Jan 28, 2016
I thought looking these up on the UL database might help, but the UL listings don't seem to quite match the labels for these PSUs (making things even more confusing!), and sadly it doesn't list combined max wattages.

The middle three columns are Max Outputs for: V, A, VA

InWin UL Listing

FSP UL Listing

Now I would have thought that the bottom FSP table was for this unit as it's not 80 Plus rated which is presumably what the "(80)" bit means on the top table names, but the bottom table shows two ~20A rails (with 18A usable) which is a massive difference to the stated label amperage!

So based on the PSU labels, the In Win seems the obvious choice, but given the much higher UL rating, I'd be inclined to think the FSP is actually more capable...

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Aww, too bad to see the scratch build being dumped for now.

For ventilation, you'll have to mod the sidepanels extensively. Either, if you're feeling confident in your accuracy with a drill, drill vent holes yourself in the same pattern they already use on the side panel into both the top and side so the GPU can draw air from there. If that's not good enough, you could also try to duct the intake air.
And if you don't trust yourself to make the holes in a good pattern, just use a dremel to cut the sections out and glue black mesh to those sections from the inside of the panels, should look decent enough.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Good points guys.

Yeah, the UL listings are very misleading. I've opened both up and they both seem to be quality (and definitely have active PFC and whatnot). They are both easily capable of powering my FX-8350 and R7-360 though. I may have to do further testing on them in regards to fan curves and the like.

For ventilation I was thinking of re-making the front section of the case in aluminium and building in 2x 120mm fan mounts - I will post a screenshot of this idea in a few hours

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
So turns out the In-Win just could not cope with the heat my system puts out. So, back to the original design. This is mocked up in 3mm foam core board;

Yes, there will be expansion slot cutouts in the design :p The open slot in the front will be a combination power button/light strip

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yes, please pursue this! That material seems to be suited ideally for mock-ups like this, it looks great!
I see you've put the PSU at the top now. Any specific reason why you want to do it that way or did you just want to try it out?

The strip at the front is a very cool idea. I think the best place for it would be directly above the area where the two fans meet, that would minimise obstruction of optic and airflow. Maybe you could actually mount it on the fans as well, could make your life a little bit easier.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The board is basically this stuff: http://elmers.com/product/detail/950047

Tried it at the top - I orientated it like this for the shots due to the gap (which came about from running out of material) having to be nearer the bottom for aesthetics. I will probably stick with PSU at the bottom.

I probably will be using the fans as mounting points, yes.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Awesome design, i like your way of tackling problems with multipurpose solutions.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Thanks :) I've used this type of foam board many times before as a prototyping material. Would be nice if i could find a cheaper source though.. NZ$12 for a 500*750mm sheet is a little pricey. About 3 times cheaper than acrylic though!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Very nice idea, that'll look amazing.

Good job on the ATX design too !
"Confusis' entry is one of the smallest designs, but it still manages to cram in some serious cooling hardware."

ATX motherboard, 360mm radiator and still one of the smallest designs, damn.
@GuilleAcoustic was also present in that competition with a nice design !

Reactions: confusis

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Did I miss something?

Click the link in my post :p

Very nice idea, that'll look amazing.

Good job on the ATX design too !
"Confusis' entry is one of the smallest designs, but it still manages to cram in some serious cooling hardware."

ATX motherboard, 360mm radiator and still one of the smallest designs, damn.
@GuilleAcoustic was also present in that competition with a nice design !

Doing things small from early on. The contest brief was for ATX mobo support, or else it would have been a M-ATX case from the start.

For those interested, I shared the design with Razer2007, and we (along with a few others.. @j0rd, @GuilleAcoustic, @craigbru and a couple others) redesigned it into this: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=216706

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting, I like the opportunities the HDPlex AC-DC + DC-DC ATX bracket gives. But I'd be amazed if it wouldn't overheat on long duration loads. A 140mm fan between the heatsinks could fix that, but preferably you'd want that fan to be on the top with a cutout. The GPU seems to block a lot of the airflow path but that's difficult to overcome in this case (unless vertical-mounting the GPU).

Unless you oversized it for passive running.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

Will be running a low profile card for cheapness and airflow. Even then, the fan has 50% of airflow bypassing GPU and hitting CPU cooler. The top panel of the case has been spaced up to enable extra venting.

Air flows from bottom to top.

Reactions: iFreilicht

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I like that, using a low-profile card to get better airflow on the CPU is a very interesting idea. I'd do everything to cover up the vents at the back to make sure the air is forced through the CPU cooler, though.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
That's a good point. I had planned on using noise dampening foam to quieten the system, but I could use it to help channel airflow too