Concept Unnamed 11.78L Console Style Case - Full ATX Motherboard Support

DefinitelyTech

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 7, 2019

The goal for this Console-Style Case was to be able to fit a full ATX motherboard, with a full size graphics card in the smallest enclosure possible. This case can hold any and all motherboard sizes ATX and under as well as all PSU sizes! Some configurations may interfere with others.

First prototypes are being created out of 3mm acrylic to work out physical flaws while proper machinery is ordered for other products; future designs will hopefully be made with 18 gauge Steel.

No current design or prototype timeline at the moment as I have a baby due in less than two weeks, as well as possible further state-wide stay-at-home order interference. Conceptual design may improve and advance quicker during latter scenario.

Case Specifications:

Size:
318mm (L) x 353mm (W) x 105mm (D) = 11.78L

Motherboard Support:
ATX
Micro-ATX
mini-ITX
mini-DTX -untested-

GPU Support:
3 Slot Width
350mm Length

PSU Support:
ATX PSU -untested but measurements work- (only mini ITX motherboard/ may limit GPU clearance)
SFX PSU (only mini ITX motherboards)
SFX-L PSU (only mini ITX motherboards/ may limit GPU clearance)
Flex PSU (all motherboards)
2U PSU (all motherboards)

CPU Cooler Clearance:
98mm Air Cool without Cooling Bracket
120/140mm AIO with 15mm fan supported with Cooling Bracket
-Some AIOs with smaller block's (NZXT M22) may be able to support 25mm fans.

Drive Support:
Recommend m.2 drives only

Fan Support:
2x 80mm fans
120/140mm fan with Cooling Bracket

I/O:
None atm.

Possible Configurations:

ATX/Full GPU/Flex PSU

-with Cooling Bracket and AIO

ATX/Full GPU/2U PSU (estimated PSU size)

mini-ITX/Full GPU/SFX PSU

-with Cooling Bracket and AIO

Future Additions:
-SIDE PANEL
-Holes for 2.5” drive support (mini-ITX motherboard only)
-Single piece all PSU bracket attachment
-ATX PSU Support (measurements work)
-Customization front panel (wooden plate?)

Product Models:
AIO: 140mm Corsair AIO Radiator
Fan: 140mm Noctua Fan
GPU: NVIDIA Founders RTX 2080
ATX Motherboard: Asus P6T SE motherboard (X58 Chipset)
ITX Motherboard: Gigabyte B360N Wifi ITX motherboard
Air Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S

NOTES:
-This concept does have some slight cosmetic issues including some hole symmetry offset. Future Designs will contain exact measurements for better symmetry.
-All PSUs will connect to rear via AC Power Cord Extension (not shown in models)
-All GPUs must connect via PCIe Cable extension (not shown in models)
-Case will hopefully have product name soon.
-ANY AND ALL CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM IS WELCOME AS THIS IS MY FIRST CONCEPT AND I AM OPEN TO LEARN. INCLUDING THIS DESIGN IS POINTLESS.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
At a glance I think it's an interesting concept at that volume. Do provide 2.5" drive supports as well (or 3.5" too, why not?)

I see that there's a potential for your cooling bracket to be on top of the GPU as well - some people replace their original GPU fan & cooler with, say, Accelero cooler & put giant fans on such cooling bracket (I think quite common mod in NCase M1 or Lone Industries L4/5). Also helpful in case waterblock is used on GPU. Additional fans can help to cool GPU VRMs.

Next thing you'd want to do is fine tune the distance required for cable. Some of them can have minimum bend radius, for example. And some PSU cables are so stiff that they cannot be bent in certain ways.

Reactions: DefinitelyTech

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
If it won't affect structural integrity of the bracket, I'd recommend removing some of the venting over the radiator in the aio bracket. It will increase airflow and reduce the restrictive nature of the panel.

That is to say, unless the aio bracket holes line up directly with the case ventilation. If they line up perfectly then it wouldn't really matter. However, if the side panel ventilation will be smaller, larger, different shape, or different design, then you are reducing airflow and reduce potential cooling performance (which is so essential in sffpcs) :) interesting design. :) Looking forward to seeing more progress. :)

Edit: Also, it's a little hard to tell in the renders, with an ATX motherboard is 3slot GPU still compatible? (That would make this a little more friendly than the p-atx for system downsizers... Granted they are willing to compromise on a flex PSU in that configuration)

Reactions: DefinitelyTech

DefinitelyTech

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 7, 2019
If it won't affect structural integrity of the bracket, I'd recommend removing some of the venting over the radiator in the aio bracket. It will increase airflow and reduce the restrictive nature of the panel.
Also, it's a little hard to tell in the renders, with an ATX motherboard is 3slot GPU still compatible? (That would make this a little more friendly than the p-atx for system downsizers... Granted they are willing to compromise on a flex PSU in that configuration)

I had planned to have a complete open vent over the AIO bracket to improve airflow but since I didnt have exact measurements down yet for both 120mm and 140mm radiators yet, I left it as the "holed" pattern. The open vent will most likely be in the final concept.

To answer your question, yes. Both the ATX motherboard and 3 slot GPU are compatible simultaneously.

Reactions: Poblopuablo