Tweak Current Build, Complete Overhaul or Wait?

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
Bought an NCASE 6.1 with the hopes of, in time, throw together an air cooled 9900k or 8700k plus a 2080 Ti build but then learned about the extreme heat and impending noise from a likely little bake oven. Add that to the likely need for 240 AIO cooling, I decided to put the project on hold and rethinking now, I don't believe I need the extra processing power of an i9.

I understand, as it is, the system is great and could certainly be tweaked for more power (but like the big weirdo I am), I really wanted to start from the bottom and fill it with all new internals.

Question: Out of these options (or include your own), what might you personally do?

1. Upgrade to 32GB and acquire all new Z390 required internals
2. Upgrade to 32GB, tweak current system for more power and wait til next gen.
3. Switch it all up, keep what's compatible and go Ryzen

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 960 PRO 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Mini Video Card
Case: NCASE M1 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Last edited:

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Wait a few weeks until Intel's 10th gen comes out. Supposedly there will be some improvements to thermal transfer according to Gamers Nexus. Basically they chip itself will be closer to the IHS so less space to transfer heat through.

Also you might see the older chips drop in price.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Apr 11, 2020
@Creep,

I'm sort of in the same situation and bought my M1 6.1 last week, which will be arriving in a week or two.

I was initially going to wait until fall for next-gen GPU's and maybe even Intel's 11th gen Rocket Lake but decided against it as I need a new PC ASAP, especially with the pandemic. I decided to wait until Comet Lake - S is announced next week and either go with a Z490 motherboard using the LGA1200 socket combined with an i7 10700K or go with an i7 9700K on and a Z390 motherboard if pricing is significantly lower. If I go with the second option I'll be upgrading again in a year or two, as opposed to potentially sticking with the LGA1200 socket and just upgrading the CPU when Rocket Lake comes out as supposedly it will be based on the LGA1200 socket.

I also made the decision to go with the RTX 2070 Super as I don't need more GPU than that. And since it utilises the same processor as the RTX 2080 so overclocking is a breeze and should get it performing about the same as the RTX 2080.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Apr 11, 2020
Just as I posted I got wind of NVIDIA hosting their GTC event digitally on the 14th of May. Let's see what they have up their sleeve, maybe some tasty next-gen GPU's?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Just as I posted I got wind of NVIDIA hosting their GTC event digitally on the 14th of May. Let's see what they have up their sleeve, maybe some tasty next-gen GPU's?
Considering the title of the preso is "Get AMPED" and the rumored codename for the next GPU family is Ampere, I would say that's almost a certainty. Now what they will launch and in what segment remains to be seen. Remember they launched Volta at GTC several years ago and that never came to GeForce cards.

Reactions: mickvwijk

Ezzoud

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2018
If you decide to complete overhaul i suggest going amd unless you really need your cpu to hit over 5ghz. But from the test i saw amd cpus at 4.4ghz are roughly the same as intel ones on 5-5,2 ghz. Also from the leaked price of 10700k you could get the 3900x 12 core 24 thread and it wouldbt require such a massive cooling intel ones do. Also z490 motherboards cost a fortune.

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
@Creep,

I'm sort of in the same situation and bought my M1 6.1 last week, which will be arriving in a week or two.

I was initially going to wait until fall for next-gen GPU's and maybe even Intel's 11th gen Rocket Lake but decided against it as I need a new PC ASAP, especially with the pandemic. I decided to wait until Comet Lake - S is announced next week and either go with a Z490 motherboard using the LGA1200 socket combined with an i7 10700K or go with an i7 9700K on and a Z390 motherboard if pricing is significantly lower. If I go with the second option I'll be upgrading again in a year or two, as opposed to potentially sticking with the LGA1200 socket and just upgrading the CPU when Rocket Lake comes out as supposedly it will be based on the LGA1200 socket.

I also made the decision to go with the RTX 2070 Super as I don't need more GPU than that. And since it utilises the same processor as the RTX 2080 so overclocking is a breeze and should get it performing about the same as the RTX 2080.

Yeah I considering, depending on availability and pricing, to go towards a 8700k or 9700k with a new chipset if the prices look enticing. Same with me, I've been considering getting a slight upgrade from my 1080 8GB to something like a Super. I've heard of some flashing different BIOS settings into older GPUs but haven't looked too much into it and seems somewhat unnecessary if a problem arises.

May upgrade my cooler, as well but still might find it unproductive. Maybe that home server plan I've had for a long time just got closer to fruition.

If you decide to complete overhaul i suggest going amd unless you really need your cpu to hit over 5ghz. But from the test i saw amd cpus at 4.4ghz are roughly the same as intel ones on 5-5,2 ghz. Also from the leaked price of 10700k you could get the 3900x 12 core 24 thread and it wouldbt require such a massive cooling intel ones do. Also z490 motherboards cost a fortune.

Thanks. I agree and you're right, these 490 prices are eye opening.

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
I think option #2 is your safest bet! Fight the urge to make purchases out of boredom, especially since you're quite close to new hardware releases. You'll thank yourself later.

Stay strong! ?