Log turning a NUC into a 1080p gaming rig - the cheap way - DIY eGPU

julianknowsme

Efficiency Noob
Aug 12, 2020
Basically yes. You'll also need some connectors and cables as shown below. Not sure how these are called, might need to search a bit around.

The limiting factor is that the PCIe slot can only provide 75W max. If you want to use higher TDP GPUs you can do this by connecting an additional 6/8 PIN cable to the MEANWELL.

Hope this picture helps:

Cheers, I think I get it! Many thanks. Ps, as for housing it all together, when do you reckon you'd be taking orders for your case?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Cheers, I think I get it! Many thanks. Ps, as for housing it all together, when do you reckon you'd be taking orders for your case?

I made two prototypes. You can have one if you like. It's not perfect though, e.g. the bending radius does not match with the NUC and tolerances are a bit off. Just send me PM.

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
I have a question about the GPU riser you're using. Isn't it supposed to have a 3.3v or 5v input pin there as well? Which one is it and what are you using to buck to that voltage?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I have a question about the GPU riser you're using. Isn't it supposed to have a 3.3v or 5v input pin there as well? Which one is it and what are you using to buck to that voltage?

The GPU doesnt need 3.3 or 5V to work. Just connect the 12V cable (yellow one) and the ground (black) which comes with the riser.

julianknowsme

Efficiency Noob
Aug 12, 2020
I made two prototypes. You can have one if you like. It's not perfect though, e.g. the bending radius does not match with the NUC and tolerances are a bit off. Just send me PM.
This forum limits me to only 1 reply per hour (in our conversation -thus why I'm adding this comment). Please add the riser cable and resend the PP request.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
update build log / assembly instructions:

Piprian

Chassis Packer
May 21, 2021
Will the 5v front panel to ps_on trick work the same way on an ATX power supply? (more specifically the HDPlex 200w DC-ATX)

I checked an ATX PSU design guide and it seems PS_ON will only turn the PSU on when there is 0.8v or less coming in.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Will the 5v front panel to ps_on trick work the same way on an ATX power supply? (more specifically the HDPlex 200w DC-ATX)

I checked an ATX PSU design guide and it seems PS_ON will only turn the PSU on when there is 0.8v or less coming in.

So far I didn't find a way to make it work with ATX power supplies. Like you said, they need a low level trigger (e.g. PS-ON pulled to GNG) to turn on.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Alright thank you!

I'm gonna try using a relay but it will take a while until I can get a PSU to test it with.

A relay might be too slow. If the GPU is not powered on exactly at the same time together with the NUC (or within some ms) the NUC will not detect it. But you can try and let us know here if it works.

Piprian

Chassis Packer
May 21, 2021
Sorry for the double post. I can't seem to figure out how to edit.

The relay I bought is rated for 0.5ms. That sounds pretty good as far as I can tell.

Piprian

Chassis Packer
May 21, 2021
Let's hope there's some standardized deviation for the time the bios takes to check then!

Definitely gonna try it soon! Thank you for the help!

I just checked ATX specifications and it says the time between receiving the PS_ON signal and reaching regulation ranges on the 12v rail should not exceed 500ms.

0.5ms seems irrelevant compared to that, though I don't know if the GPU can get recognized while the rail is delivering less than 12v during start up.

Last edited by a moderator:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Let's hope there's some standardized deviation for the time the bios takes to check then!

Definitely gonna try it soon! Thank you for the help!

I just checked ATX specifications and it says the time between receiving the PS_ON signal and reaching regulation ranges on the 12v rail should not exceed 500ms.

0.5ms seems irrelevant compared to that, though I don't know if the GPU can get recognized while the rail is delivering less than 12v during start up.

From my tests, the NUC seems very sensitive if the GPU comes on just a little bit too late. But I'm really curious if your idea works. That would be great.

Not sure how many watt you need for your project, but if you don't succeed with the ATX PSU you can try the setup I used e.g. for my eGPU1 project:

Piprian

Chassis Packer
May 21, 2021
From my tests, the NUC seems very sensitive if the GPU comes on just a little bit too late. But I'm really curious if your idea works. That would be great.

Not sure how many watt you need for your project, but if you don't succeed with the ATX PSU you can try the setup I used e.g. for my eGPU1 project:

Tbh if I had the space I would have immediately switched to the meanwell unit with the 5v PS_ON after seeing this thread, but in my case I have barely enough room for the nanoATX one.

Have you tested if powering the m.2 riser from the NUC's internal sata power changes something?

I doubt it can be recognized with just the power from the riser but I might as well try.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Tbh if I had the space I would have immediately switched to the meanwell unit with the 5v PS_ON after seeing this thread, but in my case I have barely enough room for the nanoATX one.

Have you tested if powering the m.2 riser from the NUC's internal sata power changes something?

I doubt it can be recognized with just the power from the riser but I might as well try.
Why do you need that NanoATX? Maybe if you can describe what you are planning to do I could try to help.

No, the SATA port does by far not have enough power. Your GPU can pull up to 75W via the PCIe slot. You might fry your NUC if you try this. I know, ADT & Co. are including those Sata power adapters with the riser cables but these are not meant to power a GPU.

Piprian

Chassis Packer
May 21, 2021
Why do you need that NanoATX? Maybe if you can describe what you are planning to do I could try to help.

No, the SATA port does by far not have enough power. Your GPU can pull up to 75W via the PCIe slot. You might fry your NUC if you try this. I know, ADT & Co. are including those Sata power adapters with the riser cables but these are not meant to power a GPU.
Oh that is good to know!

How else am I supposed to power the riser if not with the included sata adapter. (I would have plugged it into the PSU originally.) I'm pretty sure the riser I bought said it is intended for use with a GPU.

My (pretty stupid) project is to use a NUC with a GPU, but I want to fit it into a Wii case.

Next to NUC, GPU, cables and 1 or 2 tiny fans, there is not much room left.

The plan I have right now is to plug a dell 330w external power brick into the case and split it internally to the NUC and (over the HDPlex PSU) to the GPU.

I want to avoid making the Wii look too different from the outside and I would also like to not have 2 power cables plugged into it.

Thank you very much for the help!