GPU Triple monitor setup and gpu temperature

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I supose that you learn things when you buy them.Probably due to my various post, one can tell i am fine tuning and understanding my new workstation that i just finished building.(will post photos later)

I just discovered that multiple monitors rise the gpu idle themps and clocks.I googled it and it looks like its nothing new.I just didnt knew about it.Still just to be on the safe side, I would like to dump in a small info just to double check if you guys find everything ok/ acceptable for my situation.
One quadro p6000 and 2x27inch 4k monitors at 60hz and one 29inch 2560x1080 60hz monitor.

-one 4k monitor on=17c-20c idle on the gpu, with 164mhz and 405mhz clocks(afterburner)
-activating a second monitor (doesnt matter which one)= will still maintain the idle speed and gpu will go to 27-28c
-and activating the third monitor the gpu now will idle at 37-39c and the clocks are now stuck at 1113mhz and 4513mhz.

I understand that this is a nvidia thing/fault, but having the gpu idle at worst 40c, is this bad for its lifespan?
Also, i noticed that if i turn off 1 or 2 of the monitors the gpu clock is not going down as if the gpu still sees the other monitors turned on.Only way to get the update on the clocks and themps is to ;
-restart pc
-or go to nvidia panel>set up multiple displays>and turn off the already turned off monitors..

Everything seems ok?

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
It's fine. Most electronics works efficiently at 50 centigrade, something to do with electrons displacement energy threshold. Most IC datasheets I've read dictates operating temperature of up to 85 centigrade so that's the magic number I always avoid.

Don't overthink it - enjoy your build.
If I had the money for that kind of build...