Travelling with a SFF rig

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017

That looks really neat, what do you think of the backpack so far?

It does everything they said it does and I use it for everything.
Commutes to work/Short business trips.
Groceries (I stuff the hard stuff first, then the breads in the extended zone, and the 2L bottles in the side pockets)
Cycling/Weight training while jogging.
Full Out Hiking with camping gear ( I Just tied the voluminous things to the outside of the bag and it was stable and stiff)
My only bag for short trip international flights.

No tear so far.
Very easy to clean. A pickle jar did open inside one time ,but I just took it to the shower and left it to dry for a night and it was good as new.

You look like a geek because it is so high up your back, but deep down inside you know you are cool because it looks like snowtrooper backpack.

I did a test today with a box exactly the same size as an NCase M1 and unfortunately I could not close the zip all the way (very very close though). Even if I used the extended zone, it didn't natter because it could no fit through the upper opening.

Alternatively though, a less deep case like an sg13b, or flat cases that aren't wider than 29cm ish would fit.

the NCase steambox concept Rev 3 by Necere would be the perfect case for this.

I also love the blue textile padding on the interior. It's like those microfibres cloths for glasses so its perfect to just throw gadgets inside.

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
I have a Goruck GR1 which might work fine for any of these SFF cases. But then you'd have to add in the power brick and an external monitor as well as a 60% mech kb and mouse ... that adds up to a lot of stuff.

I kinda avoid Kickstarter stuff and go with the products and brands that have been out there for awhile. I find that you have to wade through a lot of overhyped products when you back a KS project. Very few are truly as innovative/life-changing as they claim to be. Note I've backed probably 8 or so project, one being a backpack project ... this one: ... it wasn't worth the money imo.

Reactions: Biowarejak

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
While intended for motorcycle use, I can highly recommend Kriega's 'Quadlock' backpacks. You can think of it as a sternum strap that actually works, and because the clasped straps form a semirigid structure, they pull the base of the straps against your hips like a hip-belt but without a separate front waist strap.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
For anyone in Canada, Nanuk Cases are 20% off for Prime Day if you're a prime member. The 935 is going for between 230-240 CAD which is well below the normal price of 280-290.

ColorZepppelin

Trash Compacter
ColorZeppelin Computers
Apr 8, 2016
Traveling has been a major factor regarding my PC choices. As a student (industrial design) worked at nightclub just to save up to buy a Dell inspiron with 1.2Ghz Celeron and 128MB Nvidia 6800 Go (year 2005, bad driver support). Spent 1200 gbp, underperformed, couldn't upgrade, bad choice really. Equivalent desktop lasted much longer and performed better. This dynamic of price/preformance&quality still wins out for desktop in my opinion although much narrower nowadays.
As a professional also working in China there were many issues. Desktop was posted, got lost, opened by customs, paid import taxes (20% at original price, not current value), received it severely damaged. Lesson learned. Trip back from China dissassembled it, put some components in backpack (ironically some in laptop bag), wrapped individually, screen and stand in suitcase, case posted together with other belongings. Went relatively well if you don't count being stopped repeatedly at scanners, turns out culprit was silverstone sff 450W old model.

Long story short I have been developing a portable laptop style PC with desktop components since last year on-and-off.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...n-desktop-components-mechanical-keyboard.990/

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
How about this XD

http://www.overclock.net/t/1626729/build-log-exlr-matx-portable-zero-halliburton-briefcase-pc-mod/30

It's pretty sweet. I want to take a crack at this some day.