Travelling with a SFF rig

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For discussing all things related to travelling with your SFF case, whether it's by train, plane, automobile, or whatever!

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
My local aiport (Birmingham UK) said its ok to bring AIO cooled mini pcs through security. Its just that it could be subject to extra checks like regular computer devices.

Reactions: Phuncz

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
In a technical sense, AIOs are just fine to take on flights, as pressure relief is built in. They manage to survive shipping via Air Freight with absolutely no issue after all, so you could put it in the hold if it is rejected as hand luggage.

Reactions: Phuncz

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
In a technical sense, AIOs are just fine to take on flights, as pressure relief is built in. They manage to survive shipping via Air Freight with absolutely no issue after all, so you could put it in the hold if it is rejected as hand luggage.
If I had to put it in the hold through checkin I would not go on the trip period.

I've seen people at the baggage claim with the locks of their samsonite hard cases torn off and missing their valuable tech contents (monitor from hong kong to frankfurt).
And with no insurance coverage from the airline.

I've seen other similar cases around the world but I was only able to confirm this one because they were part of my trip.

Anyway, I am paranoid, and I would not let my baby go further than 10 meters away from me during transport.

Edit:

And I wouldn't be worried about pressure change much as even the hold is pressurized.
Road bike tyres should be deflated though, as those go up to their pressure limits even at ground level.
And I did not believe this was true, but apparently some people bring tyre inflating co2 canisters on board and they burst open during flight spooking everybody.

Edit 2:
@EdZ
HAHA I finally figured out what is written on your shirt
まーぶる = Marvel (but written in hiragana, which is like the lazy/comical way to write Company Names)

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
All these talk about airports got me to look into carrying methods actually. Like "should I get a hardcase? Or bring it in as-is and stow under seat" (Nanuk 933/940 seem to be the closest, but site says it's not carry-on applicable. Pelicans are either too big to carry on or too small for the case)
Also "should I unhook my CPU heatsink and GPU before flight?" and "Would making a backpack for the bloody thing on my own be easier?".

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
All these talk about airports got me to look into carrying methods actually. Like "should I get a hardcase? Or bring it in as-is and stow under seat" (Nanuk 933/940 seem to be the closest, but site says it's not carry-on applicable. Pelicans are either too big to carry on or too small for the case)
Also "should I unhook my CPU heatsink and GPU before flight?" and "Would making a backpack for the bloody thing on my own be easier?".

From your next rig target I would just stick the cerberus in a slightly bigger carry-on case. and stuff the sides with socks. Since its the nh-c14s is a regular cooler why would you remove it if you are just stowing the case under the seat in front?

Bare in mind that different airlines have different carry-on limits.
Saying that, the Cerberus can fit into most no problem.
The problem is that a cerberus system might go over the limited weight for carry-on but it shouldnt be a problem in most cases.

One more thing to worry is for there to no longer be any space left in the overhead compartments, and for you to be on a wing seats. You are not allowed to stow stuff under the seat in front of you if you have the seats near the wing, because those are emergency exits.
And in such cases they might take away your hand luggage and stow it away in the hold.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The problem is that a cerberus system might go over the limited weight for carry-on but it shouldnt be a problem in most cases.

That's the issue I ran into and part of why I made Jolokia. Luckily they didn't actually measure because I still would have been over, but on airlines with a 7kg weight limit it'll be difficult to carry a Cerberus and have anything else in the suitcase.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Since its the nh-c14s is a regular cooler why would you remove it if you are just stowing the case under the seat in front?

was thinking could it (?) pry the board in two if it stayed mounted in and there's a drop shock somehow, but then there's the problem of the case and the heatsink...

airlines with a 7kg weight limit

... totaling 6.4kg to begin with (and all the other on-board requirements and rules) ,_,

Maybe check it in, but in a bag before I stuff it in the luggage

Last edited:

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
was thinking could it (?) pry the board in two if it stayed mounted in and there's a drop shock somehow, but then there's the problem of the case and the heatsink...
Maybe check it in, but in a bag before I stuff it in the luggage

Well, I've quite a few flights so far, and the roughest landing I've had is the famous hong kong kai tak curb approach landing, I think I was 8 years old back then when it was still open.

Anyway, even for that landing I think it would be fine to leave it attached. If the weight of the heatsink isn't too great ( like a dark rock pro tf)it should be ok.
If you place the case so that the back of the motherboard is parallel with the floor, it shouldnt be a problem even on rougher landings.

Reactions: VegetableStu

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
To secure a big heatsink, an Instapak or similar would work: they're sealed plastic bags full of expanding foam. Pop one in the case, trigger it, put on the side panel and it will expand to fill the cavity around the heatsink and take the load during any movement.

Just remember to take it out before powering on again!

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Instapak is neat stuff, but it doesn't fill tight spaces as well as you'd think so I'm not sure how useful it'd be for securing the heatsink in a tight SFF case.

BTW, has anyone had trouble with security flying with their rig? When I took Jolokia I had a lady working at the line for the X-ray machines ask if it was a really small PC when I put it in the bin, but otherwise it was uneventful.

Reactions: VegetableStu

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
This is my conversation with BHX Airport.

Me to BHX:

This is a general question.
I use Birmingham Aiport quite frequently so I am asking here for a general opinion.

Can a liquid cooled computer be brought as hand luggage.
Certain laptops, tablets, and portable desktops use liquid cooling, and this is becoming more and more popular in recent years.
Such computers use cooling systems that are closed loops and cannot be modified by consumers without voiding warranty.
Would these be ok to bring onboard as hand luggage.
This is a typical example of closed loop cooling system that is used in portable desktops
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/hydro-series-h55-quiet-cpu-cooler

There are cases where custom made cooling systems are used in special built computers but these can be easily drained of liquid before transport.

With best regards,

XXX

BHX to Me:

Hello Mr XXX
Thank you for your query regarding liquid cooled components through security.
I have asked our compliance section and they have said that portable electronic devices that contain a liquid cooling system are permitted, however they will be subject to the same screening process as other electrical devices and may be further subject to additional security checks.
Regards
XXY
Customer Relations - Security

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
When I took Jolokia I had a lady working at the line for the X-ray machines ask if it was a really small PC when I put it in the bin
Normal person: yes, how may I help?
redditor: no it's a bomb slash s

Seriously looking forward to replies about PCs in airport security though. Although I have this irrational fear of baggage handlers going WHAAAAY FREE PC on luggages

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Normal person: yes, how may I help?
redditor: no it's a bomb slash s

Seriously looking forward to replies about PCs in airport security though. Although I have this irrational fear of baggage handlers going WHAAAAY FREE PC on luggages

That fear is as rational as can be. Especially when you travel to countries with different jurisdictions and laws. Before the internet was a thing it was not uncommon for you to have to bribe shady passport control so you could enter/leave their country.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
When I was using my Ncase I bought a bad with storage under the seat in the smallest plane Southwest flies, which is an MD-80 iirc.
Found the dimensions of the under seat space in it once and aimed for that.

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
I think I'm going to buy a Pelican case for each of my builds when my NFC S4 Mini and DAN Cases A4-SFX v2 get fully built up. Toss in a portable monitor and hopefully they will be small enough to fit under an airplane seat.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I feel like a pelican is overkill for carry on.

I have crowdsourced ergonomic backpack ( Joey)and basically being able to fit my sff, monitor, iPad, Nintendo switch, power brick, and a few underpants is the goal.