Prototype MVL-R7 - 9.5L Mini-ITX, 70mm cooler, CNC-it-yourself

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Hi there!

After unsuccessfully shopping for a case fitting some of my existing hardware and expectations, I decided to make a case myself. I have some experience in CNC and water cutting projects, albeit a few years ago and not much of it.

Here are my design principles:
  • mostly flat panels
  • big 2-slot GPU
  • 70mm cooler - Noctua L12S
  • SFX PSU
  • single 2.5" SSD mount
  • option to put three 120x15mm fans (chimney effect with positive pressure) with mesh on the bottom intakes
My biggest inspiration were the Sunmilo cases and Carrotcakee's Sleek 8.7liter case (thanks again for the reference files). Of course I'm not hitting the same level of craftsmanship, but I'll do my best.

The case itself is planned to be built out of 2mm aluminum panels and L-shaped aluminium profiles.

The to-do list for now contains:
  • top and side panel with ventilation (the design itself is quite time-consuming)
  • figure out the side panels mount, probably magnetic like the Louqe Ghost
  • figure out how to attach the front panel without going through
The plan is to find a makerspace in my city with a CNC machine and mill the panels out of powder coated 2mm aluminum. I'd love to have the black powder coat on the surface and bare aluminum on the inner cuts, and making chamfered edges on the panels.

This is not a commercial project. I'll probably make 1-2 extras if I'm happy with the end result. I will be sharing the SketchUp files on request, for non-commercial use as well.

I'd love to get any feedback on the design, look and any technical issues you guys may see. This is a personal challenge for me, so I already have a lot of fun doing it.

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
I implemented all of your feedback, guys... Just kidding :)

The case project is ready for cutting. The internal volume ended up at 9,5L, external around 10L.

Some more pics:

The total BOM will hover around 180 EUR for a one-off case as I am doing it. This includes laser cutting and powder coating of the aluminium panels, all of the screws, L-shaped supports (painted gray), high quality PCI-E riser, front panel elements etc. Cost of the fabrication goes down dramatically with number of cases made (60% price at 3 pcs).

Initially I won't make the side panels, as I'm not sure out od what to make them, aluminum, wood, acryl glass... We'll see!

Hope you like it! Every piece of feedback would be really appreciated!

If anyone is interested in the sketchup files, PM me.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I implemented all of your feedback, guys... Just kidding :)

The case project is ready for cutting. The internal volume ended up at 9,5L, external around 10L.

Some more pics:

The total BOM will hover around 180 EUR for a one-off case as I am doing it. This includes laser cutting and powder coating of the aluminium panels, all of the screws, L-shaped supports (painted gray), high quality PCI-E riser, front panel elements etc. Cost of the fabrication goes down dramatically with number of cases made (60% price at 3 pcs).

Initially I won't make the side panels, as I'm not sure out od what to make them, aluminum, wood, acryl glass... We'll see!

Hope you like it! Every piece of feedback would be really appreciated!

If anyone is interested in the sketchup files, PM me.

IMO, move the bottom fans to the top. The PCIE riser will block plenty of possible airflow.

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Would love to see a real world example, once you've finished yours.

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
I got the panels just before christmas and I'm currently slowly assembling the case. I'll make an update when I'm done with it.

Reactions: robbee

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Here you go gang, some photos of the finished case.

Some bulletpoints about it:
  • I'd rate my success rate at 60%. The case is completed, it houses the hardware as it should and is structurally stable. But, that said, 'll probably make a v2 with all the things I learnt.
  • The quality of the laser cut wasn't really that great. In the end I made 2 sets of panels, and gave the better ones to my buddy who will build the case of his own. My bottom and top panels are off by a few millimeters, which really shows. The quality of the powder coating is also kinda bad. But for 45 EUR per set I can't complain that much to be honest.
  • Idea of making bends on a 2mm aluminium panel with a vice and a hammer? Forget about it. the whole PSU/SSD holder went to the toilet, replaced by 2 pieces of L-shaped profile. The GPU mount snapped when bending, currently replaced by the ugly-but-working contraption.
  • My accuracy in terms of drilling holes etc is really bad. the distances are uneven, so the whole thing is a little crooked. Looks good from a meter away, but up close it can be better.
  • Front panel is currently sticking on a double sided tape. I'm yet to figure out how to attach it well and without external screws.
  • I won't advise shortening PSU cables without having the crimper tool. I soldered each and every connector, making a 3h job a 6h one.
  • The case feet will be replaced with higher ones.
So, what would I want to modify in v2?
  • Add every screw hole possible to the laser cut project.
  • Change the GPU mount to something not requiring bending.
  • Redesign of the PSU/SSD mount to use L-profile instead of bending.
  • Having the L-profiles which make up the construction of the case pre-cut by the company. I did a really bad and unprecise job of cutting them.
  • Mark the hole positions in the L-profiles on the sketchup files. Bad calculations were a thing in this build as well.
The build is currently as follows:
  • Intel I5-6600k delidded with liquid metal @ 4.3 GHZ, around 70C stressed
  • Noctua L12S, 2x Noctua A12x15
  • 16GB Corsair 3000MHz DDR4
  • MSI GTX 1080 Armor
  • 30cm shielded PCIE riser from China/Amazon
  • Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
  • Corsair SF600 Platinum with shortened cables (DIY)
  • Samsung 970 EVO NVME 256GB
  • Samsung 860 Pro 120GB (will be replaced with a bigger one)
  • Samsung 27" 144Hz 1440p IPS display, old Dell 1080p IPS as a secondary
  • Logitech swag, G Pro wireless and G903 mice with Powerplay mat, G840 XL mousepad, G710+ Keyboard (Cherry Brown), G933 headset
Mostly parts that have been lying around or bought used with a really good price. The build is decent but will get upgraded this year, if either Intel or AMD will show something worthwile.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
group buy?

This is a one off DIY project, I'm more than happy to share the project files :)

Good job!
Would be awesome if there was a version with space for a 240mm radiator on top :cool:

Not a problem at all to modify the project. I just decided against water cooling for this build as it generally is a PITA to work with in such a constrained space and makes the case have higher volume. My temps are acceptable to me, and the Noctua a12x15 fans are really quiet.

AfterInfinity

Chassis Packer
Dec 7, 2018
afterinfinity.no
Not a problem at all to modify the project. I just decided against water cooling for this build as it generally is a PITA to work with in such a constrained space and makes the case have higher volume. My temps are acceptable to me, and the Noctua a12x15 fans are really quiet.

I wrote that totally wrong, meant to say that if it had 240mm aio it would be my dream case. Was probably distracted while typing that. But totally agree with you on that, it’s a real PITA setting up water cooling with that space. Good to hear you liked the results! :D

What are your temps?

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
The CPU stays around low 70s in prime95 @ 4.3 GHz. Not pushing it too hard. It is delidded with liquid metal though.

GPU never exceeds 75 degrees.

Keep in mind I'm running it without the side panels. Still haven't decided what material to choose for those, aluminium, wood or plexi.

Those would be heavily ventilated like the rest of the case, so I'm not expecting a massive jump. The upward draft made by the Noctuas seems to help a bit.

AfterInfinity

Chassis Packer
Dec 7, 2018
afterinfinity.no
Sounds pretty good for such a small space!

For the side panels, if you are traveling a lot or moving your PC often definitely go for the aluminium side panels.
If not, I'd definitely go for the acrylic side panels. Maybe smoked color panels.

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Sounds pretty good for such a small space!

For the side panels, if you are traveling a lot or moving your PC often definitely go for the aluminium side panels.
If not, I'd definitely go for the acrylic side panels. Maybe smoked color panels.

It basically stays in one place. It'll either be wood or acrylic glass. We'll see, this is a slow moving project and I never know where it takes me.

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
To the people who requested access to the project files - I am still making progress on them. Just uploaded a big update with most of the things mentioned for the v2 above. I'm not done with the PSU mount and the side panels, but the pre-made screw holes and the new GPU mount is ready. All of the case sizes are now correct, meaning accurate to the full millimeters.

I'll update the case again when the final V2 fixes will be done.

I'll be designing a 2x3.5 inch drive mount to go in place of the designated GPU, as my V1 case will be retired as the NAS case, replacing a smurf blue Bitfenix Prodigy. The ITX NAS build currently in it (Pentium G4500, AsRock H110I, 12GB RAM, 500W Bronze SFX PSU, 2x3.5" WD Reds) takes 1/3 of its total volume.

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Oh it just occured to me I didn't post any pics of the first iteration of the case in flesh.

The current components are:

AMD Ryzen 3600
Asus Strix B450I
Noctua L12S
32GB DDR4 3200MHz
EVGA RTX 2080 XC
Corsair SF600 Platinum
Samsung 970 EVO 256 OS SSD
Samsung 960 EVO (I think) 1TB storage
Silver plated PSU cables from Aliexpress, shortened to length
2x Noctua NF A12x15 as intake
Cheapest addresable leds I could find (think less than 10 bucks)

The version 2 of the case is completed and available at the repository for download. I hope to get it made in the next month or so.
Currently it's still an open air case and I like it as such. Will make some side panels, the V2 has them.

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Oh it just occured to me I didn't post any pics of the first iteration of the case in flesh.

AMD Ryzen 3600
Asus Strix B450I
Noctua L12S
32GB DDR4 3200MHz
EVGA RTX 2080 XC
Corsair SF600 Platinum

The version 2 of the case is completed and available at the repository for download. I hope to get it made in the next month or so.
Currently it's still an open air case and I like it as such. Will make some side panels, the V2 has them.

Looks great. Out of curiosity, what is the ratio of open space on your side panels?

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017

AMD Ryzen 3600
Asus Strix B450I
Noctua L12S
32GB DDR4 3200MHz
EVGA RTX 2080 XC
Corsair SF600 Platinum

Where is the link to download the files?

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Like, how much open ventilates area relative to total side panel area.
Oh, you mean the panels themselves. I'd say it's around 40% - about 20% of the panel has no ventilation, and the pattern is around 50% open. But, then again, no side panels have been made up until now, I run it as an open case, as it's sufficiently quiet for me and I dust it with canned air once a month.
Where is the link to download the files?
I don't provide it openly. If you're interested, shoot me a PM, I have a github repository.