Concept Tiny-Rix ITX! 5.4L Unibody ITX case, Full Length GPU

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
You can't "adjust" the gap between mainboard and GPU to negative 6mm. If the CPU cooler is 37mm thick, the mainboard (including the m.2 on the back, the CPU socket and the CPU itself) 15mm, the riser 2mm and the GPU 42mm: That's 96mm without any gap between the components or the frame.

I now understand how you want to mount the motherboard to the frame. But I don't think it's a good idea. 50mm standoffs screwed into a 2mm steel strip won't give you the stiffness you want for the motherboard, the torsional force is just to high. Plus I see the standoffs potentially colliding with the riser PCB or limiting GPU height.
(For example: 176mm inner height - 8mm on top and bottom for standoffs - 30mm height of riser pcb leaves you with a max GPU height of 130mm. Depending on how the height is measured an MSI Gaming X might not fit (the 1080 variety, the 1080ti is to thick anyway))
All are what you think man. Why you can think PCIE riser take 30mm height? You never seen some thing like that?:

You never seen some thing thin like that?:

Last edited:

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Water cooler version 7L (300x180x140) is also wolrd smallest:

Size of water cooler version is 7L (300x140x180) and add mid plate between mother board and GPU

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
All are what you think man. Why you can think PCIE riser take 30mm height? You never seen some thing like that?:

You never seen some thing thin like that?:
Not only seen, but actually measured with calipers...
I realize physics or math don't seem to apply to you, but the second riser you linked has exactly the 30mm pcb height I was talking about. The hard, not-flexible part the GPU is slotted in before the flexible cable starts - which increases the overall GPU area height (height as in top to bottom of the case) requirement.
I guess you'll find out once you try to slot in components in the first prototype (if it ever comes to that). ;)

The first riser type could work for you if you find a riser with the right length and can make the 540° worth of tight bends work without breaking it.

But that's really only a side issue - it doesn't really matter if specific GPUs can't fit due to being over-height if non but single slots can fit in the first place due to not enough depth in the GPU area.

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Not only seen, but actually measured with calipers...
I realize physics or math don't seem to apply to you, but the second riser you linked has exactly the 30mm pcb height I was talking about. The hard, not-flexible part the GPU is slotted in before the flexible cable starts - which increases the overall GPU area height (height as in top to bottom of the case) requirement.
I guess you'll find out once you try to slot in components in the first prototype (if it ever comes to that). ;)

The first riser type could work for you if you find a riser with the right length and can make the 540° worth of tight bends work without breaking it.

But that's really only a side issue - it doesn't really matter if specific GPUs can't fit due to being over-height if non but single slots can fit in the first place due to not enough depth in the GPU area.
I don't want to waste time with you, prototype frame will come next week.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm just trying to figure out your marketing plan. Please let me know if I've got it pinned down.

1.) Come in claiming world first design ideas and smallest build volumes that aren't world first design ideas or smallest build volumes
2.) Get defensive when suggestions about obvious design flaws are offered by community members
3.) ????
4.) ???? PROFIT !!!!

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Hey Rolexus.
I'm not the best person to give you tips (I'm as new as you here on the forum, and don't even know if my project is going to succeed), but I would suggest you some things:

- Why reveal so many designs at once? It's already A LOT difficult to develop 1 good SFF case that is "sellable", so it makes no sense. Most designers here (including me) have multiple case ideas too, so you are not unique, but you should definitely focus your efforts on only one case at the start;
- Stop the clickbait titles, please. You have joined the forum this year, so people won't believe (or won't care) those claims. Others like Dan (from dan-cases) makes clickbait titles too, but that's cause HE CAN. He was one of the first big designers here, which is not your case, so be more humble;
- Why are you so aggressive to people making complains about your concept? Those are your potential buyers in the future, so be more supportive. Aside from that, if people are adressing a problem, you should at least consider it, cause there are big chances it is actually a problem;
- It's not ALL about the size bro. It's about the size too (afterall, this is SFF Forum), but along with many other things (visual, quality, airflow, compatibility, etc).

Summing up: focus on only 1 design at first, stop the clickbait claims, be more supportive/polite to people, and consider other aspects aside from the size.
These are just my personal opinions, consider them if you want. I'm only trying to help ;)

Cheers

Last edited:

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
This is what happens when someone feels entitled, without putting out the hard work first of a working prototype, or not campaigning to get user feedback.

Seriously, this click bait title will bite you back in ass if you aren't nicer to criticism.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
This is what happens when someone feels entitled, without putting out the hard work first of a working prototype, or not campaigning to get user feedback.

Seriously, this click bait title will bite you back in ass if you aren't nicer to criticism.

I dont' think it's even about "prototype effort". It's totally fine to reveal a concept here, if you want to gather some feedback before manufacturing (it's expensive to produce small quantity cases, afterall).
But I agree that the LEAST he should do is be more supportive to criticism.

Craiga35

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2017
I'm going to use your power solution in smaller version, but you have to provide a small AC/DC adapter solution with about 400-500W (with fan is OK) or I will do it, I don't want my customer to bring a big size brick (same size with case) follow.

Dude, WHAT? You think @Kmpkt is just sitting on his hands waiting to release a SFF 400w+ AC/DC PSU?

If he had the capability to create something like that he'd already be selling them...

EDIT: There are plenty of 400-500W AC/DC PSU's out there. It's called SFX...

Last edited:
Reactions: Elerek

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Hey Rolexus.
I'm not the best person to give you tips (I'm as new as you here on the forum, and don't even know if my project is going to succeed), but I would suggest you some things:

- Why reveal so many designs at once? It's already A LOT difficult to develop 1 good SFF case that is "sellable", so it makes no sense. Most designers here (including me) have multiple case ideas too, so you are not unique, but you should definitely focus your efforts on only one case at the start;
- Stop the clickbait titles, please. You have joined the forum this year, so people won't believe (or won't care) those claims. Others like Dan (from dan-cases) makes clickbait titles too, but that's cause HE CAN. He was one of the first big designers here, which is not your case, so be more humble;
- Why are you so aggressive to people making complains about your concept? Those are your potential buyers in the future, so be more supportive. Aside from that, if people are adressing a problem, you should at least consider it, cause there are big chances it is actually a problem;
- It's not ALL about the size bro. It's about the size too (afterall, this is SFF Forum), but along with many other things (visual, quality, airflow, compatibility, etc).

Summing up: focus on only 1 design at first, stop the clickbait claims, be more supportive/polite to people, and consider other aspects aside from the size.
These are just my personal opinions, consider them if you want. I'm only trying to help ;)

Cheers
It's product policy, due my production method can do small quantity in short time, so it's able to do many models at one time. If some conditions are possible, I will put it in tradition way (make plan, funding...).I know it's hard for new guy to fund.
My problem solving flow:

Unnecessary argumentation will be solve by testing prototype.
The product is focus to majority, I also provide option for minority.

Reactions: BernardoZ

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Please remember to represent the qualities that have made this forum what it is: Support, collaboration, expertise, encouragement, and education. Does humbleness not cut both ways?

Instead of attacking/defending, take the time to educate and share with others. The time you take to educate will not be wasted. Trust that your expertise will be self-evident in the high-level of discourse you bring to the table. No need to overtly state your strengths. They will shine.

Having said that, I'm sure that our forum members can eloquently explain why some ideas may be derivative. Provide examples, and maybe even engage someone pursuing a passion project in a positive way. Do it deftly with respect, and perhaps we could elicit some unique ideas and earn another valuable contributor here?

Last edited:

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I don't want to waste time with you, prototype frame will come next week.
They are just trying to do his best to help you as best as he can. He's not throwing shots at you.

All of us are just trying to help push anyone's passion from a concept to a reality. Please don't get that defensive against someone who is just trying to help you. Most of us who have replied on this thread have posted some concept, even if all of us haven't gotten everything to work. You can check all of our post histories. We're just trying to help you.

Sorry if I'm coming off strong, that's not the intent. I'm just trying to keep the forum as happy, which is a side-goal for most of us on this forum after the SFF part.

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
They are just trying to do his best to help you as best as he can. He's not throwing shots at you.

All of us are just trying to help push anyone's passion from a concept to a reality. Please don't get that defensive against someone who is just trying to help you. Most of us who have replied on this thread have posted some concept, even if all of us haven't gotten everything to work. You can check all of our post histories. We're just trying to help you.

Sorry if I'm coming off strong, that's not the intent. I'm just trying to keep the forum as happy, which is a side-goal for most of us on this forum after the SFF part.
I know what he want, but you know this is the promotion concept, for a comercial version It will be widely accepted. I will show after finish concept prototype. Let's wait.

orbitalwalsh

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2018
Why do you need to run at 5.2Ghz? I work with many CPU and in almost case OC performance is same stock clock, even you play game 8700K OC is same with 8700 in almost case, if you need render 2X Xeon CPU is much better.
You need tower cooler to make that APU cool.

its a bit like asking why do we need expensive low batch ITX cases when can pick up £30 8L cases- people will always want the best- unique- fastest

worth stretching design to handle 3 slot coolers if it cant already :)

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com

Right after finish lunar new year, almost workers still rest about 5 days.