Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Update 19-4-2016:
Latest main frame design:

18-4-2018:

Change design to unibody, Dimension: 280x186x100mm, inside: 272x178x96mm:

Main frame:

Tired with duplication idea? Today I will show you a design that you never seen before: Tiny-Rex ITX.
Tiny-Rix is ITX case only 4.7L (inner), specifcation:
-Inner dimensions 296x176x90.
-Max graphic card size : Length 298mm, Height 42mm.
-Max CPU cooler height : 37mm.
-Support Flex ATX PSU.
-Support 1x92mm front fan.
-Structure 2mm stainless steel sheets with LegoFab connection method, it makes case to be smallest, easy to fabricate, good cost and high quality.
It's really small and cool as well, size is same with graphic card box!!

MOD EDIT: Removed clickbait title

Last edited:

FullForceRainbow

Trash Compacter
May 12, 2016
I don't feel like you are showing an idea that we have never seen before, I think you are showing an inferior version of an idea that we have all seen before.

Flex ATX power supplies are not particularly popular here for a reason--they tend to be loud and are difficult to find in high wattages. In order to shave off a couple of litres I think you've forgotten about usability and quality. In the renders of the case, the power cord is coming out of the top-middle of the chassis! I can't see anybody being willing to have a power cord sticking out of the middle of their case.

Its not really worth saving a couple of centimeters of desk space if you are going to loose basic functionality, quiet operation, and attention to detail.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
One of the 2.5" drive mounts appears to block the exit vent holes for the FlexATX supply. and those are airflow-starved to start with. Not all FlexATX designs use this, but a lot of the 'short case' units do. Some feet will definitely be needed for the underside to prevent the PSU being air-starved, and custom cabling will likely be mandatory (the only 'free space' to shove excess cable into would be below the PSU choking it of intake air).
Having the entire case be flat-packable could save significantly on shipping cost, something that is normally only seen with Acrylic-sheet designs.
How does the 'support midplane' (the backplate the motherboard and PCIe extension mounts to) attach to the chassis shell?

Reactions: RoLexus

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I remember I was doing something like this. This looks like a smaller version of @Hahutzy's Hassium/Hutzy HS. Also, what's LegoFab?

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
That max 37mm cooler height will only allow l9 CPU coolers, and it will be stupid amounts loud and inefficient due to turbulence.

This is cool and all, but this design is nothing new, remember this audience is a highly informed and technical group, so pls leave your marketing bs at the door.

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
Well, well, I certainly wasn't expecting an A4 clone after the first sentence in the OP.

I wonder: How would the case even work? It seems to have some kind of inner frame that is welded(?), which can't really be the case because with a height of 176mm and the frame having an about 20mm structural "border" the hole on the motherboard-side would be to small to fit a 170x170mm itx mainboard through.

So the structural frame would either have to be assembled around the motherboard and GPU (which somehow can be 2mm longer that the inner dimensions of the case?!) - which seems like a really bad idea considering computer parts aren't exactly know for their ruggedness - or have some sort of structurally reinforced spine the mainboard and GPU are fixed to that runs through the case and is connected to the back so it can slide in - which isn't displayed and there seems to be no space for it either.

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2018
Are you planning to keep the power outlet cable connected from the top of the casing?

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
The longer I look at the numbers, the more I think it must somehow generate some alternate space dimension inside.

Adding the max CPU cooler height of 37mm, the PCB height of 2mm and the height to the IHS of 8mm to the max GPU height of 42mm. We would need AT LEAST another 2mm for the thickness of the riser cable and 5mm for the m.2 on the back of the motherboard.

Which results in 96mm with the back of the motherboard glued directly to the GPU (why this is a bad idea should be obvious :D). You want something structural there (+2mm = 98mm) and at least 2mm space on either side so nothing shorts out (= 102mm) when the case flexes a bit.

Yet, the (inner) width of the case is supposedly 90mm...?

Reactions: Elerek

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
It's kinda like this but in computer case form!

I'm going to use your power solution in smaller version, but you have to provide a small AC/DC adapter solution with about 400-500W (with fan is OK) or I will do it, I don't want my customer to bring a big size brick (same size with case) follow.

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
The longer I look at the numbers, the more I think it must somehow generate some alternate space dimension inside.

Adding the max CPU cooler height of 37mm, the PCB height of 2mm and the height to the IHS of 8mm to the max GPU height of 42mm. We would need AT LEAST another 2mm for the thickness of the riser cable and 5mm for the m.2 on the back of the motherboard.

Which results in 96mm with the back of the motherboard glued directly to the GPU (why this is a bad idea should be obvious :D). You want something structural there (+2mm = 98mm) and at least 2mm space on either side so nothing shorts out (= 102mm) when the case flexes a bit.

Yet, the (inner) width of the case is supposedly 90mm...?
Due the gap between motherboard and graphic card is adjustable and isolated by 0.2 mm plastic sheet, the higher cpu cooler is possible as well:

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
One of the 2.5" drive mounts appears to block the exit vent holes for the FlexATX supply. and those are airflow-starved to start with. Not all FlexATX designs use this, but a lot of the 'short case' units do. Some feet will definitely be needed for the underside to prevent the PSU being air-starved, and custom cabling will likely be mandatory (the only 'free space' to shove excess cable into would be below the PSU choking it of intake air).
Having the entire case be flat-packable could save significantly on shipping cost, something that is normally only seen with Acrylic-sheet designs.
How does the 'support midplane' (the backplate the motherboard and PCIe extension mounts to) attach to the chassis shell?
There are 3 mm gap between Drive and PSU, but I will test for thermal performance depending on result I will modify some thing.
The motherboard is mounted to GPU side frame by long standoff so no need mid plate, GPU and Motherboard is isolated by slim plastic sheet.
Pcie riser cable is free, but it is problem, I will mount it to bottom plate.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
@Necere made a concept case like this, FlexATX PSU with full size graphics card. But he made his especially for blower GPU coolers since the card was facing inwards towards the mobo and not outwards towards the wall.

It's certainly a familiar layout, but with more space saved to make it narrower than the A4. With the room you have, I think in a pinch you could use the HD-PLEX 300W AC unit as well. Slightly smaller dimensions and you could route the AC outlet at the back, and no noisy fan to deal with!

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
@Necere made a concept case like this, FlexATX PSU with full size graphics card. But he made his especially for blower GPU coolers since the card was facing inwards towards the mobo and not outwards towards the wall.

It's certainly a familiar layout, but with more space saved to make it narrower than the A4. With the room you have, I think in a pinch you could use the HD-PLEX 300W AC unit as well. Slightly smaller dimensions and you could route the AC outlet at the back, and no noisy fan to deal with!
I'm waiting for Hdplex to provide 400-500W AC/DC power solution, they can't provide 400W DC/DC with 300W AC/DC, full size GPU need at lest 400W pure power PSU, 60mm fan with speed ~1000 RPM is really silent, or I will use a couple HDPLEX AC/DC 300W to my case.

orbitalwalsh

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2018
seeing more and more smaller cases- then look at my i7 8700k needing a 360 rad to cool it at 5.2ghz .
and then the switch tio 2.5/3 slot GPU coolers gaining traction - think 80% of Ti models or 2.5/3 slot designs
hopefully all these new small cases can be fulfilled by AMD Ryzen chips going forward

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
seeing more and more smaller cases- then look at my i7 8700k needing a 360 rad to cool it at 5.2ghz .
and then the switch tio 2.5/3 slot GPU coolers gaining traction - think 80% of Ti models or 2.5/3 slot designs
hopefully all these new small cases can be fulfilled by AMD Ryzen chips going forward
Why do you need to run at 5.2Ghz? I work with many CPU and in almost case OC performance is same stock clock, even you play game 8700K OC is same with 8700 in almost case, if you need render 2X Xeon CPU is much better.
You need tower cooler to make that APU cool.

Last edited:

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
Due the gap between motherboard and graphic card is adjustable and isolated by 0.2 mm plastic sheet, the higher cpu cooler is possible as well
You can't "adjust" the gap between mainboard and GPU to negative 6mm. If the CPU cooler is 37mm thick, the mainboard (including the m.2 on the back, the CPU socket and the CPU itself) 15mm, the riser 2mm and the GPU 42mm: That's 96mm without any gap between the components or the frame.

I now understand how you want to mount the motherboard to the frame. But I don't think it's a good idea. 50mm standoffs screwed into a 2mm steel strip won't give you the stiffness you want for the motherboard, the torsional force is just to high. Plus I see the standoffs potentially colliding with the riser PCB or limiting GPU height.
(For example: 176mm inner height - 8mm on top and bottom for standoffs - 30mm height of riser pcb leaves you with a max GPU height of 130mm. Depending on how the height is measured an MSI Gaming X might not fit (the 1080 variety, the 1080ti is to thick anyway))

Reactions: Elerek