Time for a new build - Advise needed

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
NH-L9a Chromax or NH-L12

I have had both (L12S, actually) cooling an R5 1600 and only the L12S was dead silent on load. L9a is very silent, but it is audible on load (not on idle). Might be something to consider, but both are good choices :)

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
It's rant Time ! It looks like desktop Renoir APU will be for pre-built only until an undetermined time...

In a move to expand its penetration into the massive pre-built system market, AMD announced that its opening salvo of the hotly-anticipated Ryzen 4000 'Renoir' desktop APUs are aimed directly at OEM builders. That means these Zen 2 chips won't be found in the retail market and won't contend for our list of Best CPUs. Instead, they'll be available only for pre-built systems from OEMs. AMD says it will deliver unspecified next-gen APUs for the DIY market (400- and 500-series motherboards) at an undetermined time.

I'm sorry AMD, but you just lost a customer, been post-poning that build refresh for way too long, hoping those APU would be the heart of my new machine for the next few years.

I'll get that nice IMB-1213 and an i7-9700T (I can still drop a dGPU if needed and it solves the DC-DC question).

catawalks

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2019
It's rant Time ! It looks like desktop Renoir APU will be for pre-built only until an undetermined time...

I'm sorry AMD, but you just lost a customer, been post-poning that build refresh for way too long, hoping those APU would be the heart of my new machine for the next few years.

I'll get that nice IMB-1213 and an i7-9700T (I can still drop a dGPU if needed and it solves the DC-DC question).

I feel the pain as well, but I'm in no rush to upgrade. I understand that with limited yield it makes the most sense to supply their money making market first, so I'm OK with waiting another few months after that for the APUs to come as stand alone units. I'm looking to upgrade an Asrock A300 which isn't even verified to work with that APU anyways which means I might be completely out of luck and have to buy an entire new motherboard for it. Meh, it is what is it.

Are you in a particular rush for the new build? It seems like if you've gone 5 years with the old build waiting another few months (hopefully) isn't much more to wait. Unless of course you have needs that need to be met sooner.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Are you in a particular rush for the new build? It seems like if you've gone 5 years with the old build waiting another few months (hopefully) isn't much more to wait. Unless of course you have needs that need to be met sooner.

At the moment, my "computer" is an old ultrabook running a 1.6GHz ultra low voltage core2duo. I can't wait indefinitely for something that might ... or not ... Be available one day.

My 4th gen 35W i7 went to the missus parents. I have an 8th gen i7 laptop from work with since COVID, but that's only a short term situation and I no admin priviledges on it.

I'm not gaming, so Intel or AMD is fine. I just wished it could be team red that time...

Reactions: catawalks

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
If you want silent, can I recommend a case based on your needs? Could you go with a HDPLEX H1?

Allows a completely passive CPU (up to 65W TDP), amazing build quality and allows some different configs with internal PSU's.

I own a V1 which is slightly smaller but the latest V3 supports NUC's, thin ITX & single slot GPU or standard ITX boards.