Advice SFF Rookie here in need of guidance.

MaxFubar

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 7, 2020
Hi all,

I've built a few PCs in my time as an enthusiast but I've never done anything on the SFF side of things, or not on the ultra small side at least. I upgraded my sister's PC a month ago and kept her Mini ITX board that I had used in her initial build. This is an older Intel board, LGA 1155, but I wanted to play around with an ultra small form factor case for grits and shins. Light emulation/gaming. I have a bigger PC for my gaming rig. That being said, I was looking into pairing this motherboard with an i7 3770K and a 1660 Super or 1650 Super in a small case. I've found several cases I like, but nothing is in stock or will take a looooong time to get in. Just looking for guidance on where you guys buy cases and recommendations on power supplies to match up with them. I'm not super concerned with having it be quiet. I run my gaming rig with 3 Noctua 120s and a 280mm AIO. That being said I don't want it to sound like a hoover vacuum either. Cost isn't a huge concern, but I'd rather get my feet wet here and then I'll go for broke on the gaming rig later if I like what I see.

Thanks all!!!!

MaxFubar

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 7, 2020
I'm looking at a Geeek A31 at the moment, any input on these??? Link

Full disclosure, looking at this 1660 Super. Pairing with this motherboard and an i7 2600K or i7 3770K depending on what I can scrounge on eBay. I'm a little lost on what would qualify as a good flex ATX PSU. I've seen a few things on replacing the stock fan with a Noctua, which I'm not opposed to doing. Sorry if I'm posting "stupid, you should know this already!" or "just google it!!!" questions. I've read a few things, but there seem to be a lot of varying opinions from different sources and just hoping for some insight from someone who's done this before so I can avoid some rookie mistakes. Like I said, I'm recycling a lot of parts already. I may also use an old GPU I have to start out just to keep cost down further. The hope would be to maybe parlay the case and PSU into an upgrade on a Ryzen build with a more robust GPU later on. I have a R5 3600 in my big rig currently with a B450 board, but I'm upgrading the mobo to an X570 this weekend. If I can sell the full size board and upgrade CPU on my gaming rig, I could possibly use the 3600 with an ITX board in this case with a different GPU and M.2 for a portable gaming rig.