First time designing

Nightmare_Moon

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
Hey guys, I've built a few mini ITX gaming rigs, however I'm tired of the old "cool-factor" in gaming cases and I've been looking for something more on the beautiful side. The only cases that had the mojo didn't have the specs (no ATX PSU, no space for GFXCard). . .anyways after looking and looking I decided to make my own. . .
I'm starting from scratch so bare with me. . .I would really like some input on the design and I had a few questions about features I'd like to add:

1. Design input, can you guys criticize my design so far? It's still early and I've changed a few small things, but the outside has remained the same. Note: cable comes out from the bottom, raised 3" which should suffice most DVI/VGA cables I've seen so far.

2. I am planning on adding a docking station underneath the base (Behind the front I/O). I already designed the board for the I/O which is fairly simple, however I am not sure about how a front-panel docking station (SATA) is wired. is it just connected to the standard SATA ports in the motherboard or is there a special connector? what about power? should I just connect it directly to the PSU or does it need some circuitry in-between?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Not to stand in the way of your vision, but the layout is reminiscent of an upside-down FT-03 mini or oddly oriented SG-05/13... Might be better off starting with a Sugo and modding from there?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The look reminds me of the Streacom db4...

While I kind of like it aesthetic, your layout is not very space efficient. ATX PSU and huge tower heatsink are to blame.

ZA Design

Trash Compacter
Sep 7, 2016
It is very visually pleasing, but what are the dimensions? It seems rather massive, especially to the standards of this forum. There is a lot of space that can be optimized while easily retaining all the functionality you desire. For example, the cpu cooler can be replaced by an AIO liquid cooler with a silent fan, and the psu brought over the motherboard.

Last edited:

Nightmare_Moon

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
Thanks for all the input, to answer some of the comments:
Dimensions are roughly 11"x10"x11", and yes it's very similar to that DB4 you linked, however that DB4 uses a proprietary OEM PSU which is a big no-no for me.
- One of the purposes of my build was to allow for a standard ATX PSU, I have a very good platinum PSU that I'd rather re-use since it's relatively new.

- Thank you for the suggestion on the liquid cooling, I will revisit the design thinking of that, originally I tought of making it air-cooled since the whole case itself is made of aluminum and would act as a heat-sink itself, making Air cooling more than sufficient to keep the whole system cool. Plus, I was hoping to put the exhaust on the top and intake on the bottom, which would reduce dust acuumulation on the top.

*EDIT*
I'm jam-packing it. . .but I'm afraid there's not enough air flow and things will overheat, am I just overthinking this? I mean just having a radiator on the top would barley make enough to cool down the CPU. . .but with the PSU there I'm scared the temperature would be going up over time. . .
thoughts?

Last edited:

ZA Design

Trash Compacter
Sep 7, 2016
You can still make the intake on the bottom ;) if you would like, I could make you a very rough mockup?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Makes more sense about the ATX PSU. An AIO closed loop with allow for a thinner design.

About the aluminum chassis, may I advise vertical grooves instead of horizontal ones ? Natural convection works better with fins being vertically oriented .... And horizontal strokes make a cube looks wider than it is. On the opposite, vertical ones make it looks taller, and in your case, thinner.

Last edited:

Nightmare_Moon

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
That's a good point Guille, altough now that I'm thinking if I do them vertically I feel it's going to be an exact replica of that DB4. . .but maybe I'll do it anyways. . .mine will be better :p

Nightmare_Moon

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
Hey guys, sorry for the double post, wanted to bump this:
- This is the new design! I hope you like it. . .let me know your thoughts!

Nightmare_Moon

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
As of right now I'm thinking machining , it's going to be 4 panels. Originally I wanted to do a 1 long panel +backside with the indents and bend it but a friend told me it might not be such a good idea

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Machining and then bending one big piece of aluminum like that would probably be too expensive. Machining 4 panels won't be cheap either though.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
What thickness are the panels? That would matter a lot, and will determine what options you could take.

I'm in the process of making a custom case with aluminum myself, but using hand operated tools, with no external sourcing for fabrication. I would say if it's 14 gauge or thinner you can make the essential cutouts (like I/O) using a Dremel with ease.

You can cut somewhat thicker sheets such as 11 gauge using a jigsaw, but mostly for cutting the sheets to size, as it's not as effective for very small details like vents. I also used a table saw as shown on this article on bending metal sheets at home to cut grooves on thicker sheets where you want to make the bends.

Last edited:

Nightmare_Moon

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
I might look into doing it myself, I have a friend who owns a CNC shop, I'll see if I can pull some strings when hes not busy, or i'll talk to my college professors, they had a CNC lab for student use

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I might look into doing it myself, I have a friend who owns a CNC shop, I'll see if I can pull some strings when hes not busy, or i'll talk to my college professors, they had a CNC lab for student use
This sounds like candy land to many people here !

You could read up on @Aibohphobia 's case project thread for some clues about making manufacturing easier and cheaper by being smart.
For instance, I'd think about those 4 side panels als one or two panels that are cut into panels later on. Also consider using different manufacturing processes and materials for the outside and another for the inside of the panels. The bottom part of the case with the I/O is going to be very similar to Aibohphobia's case project regarding manufacturing and considerations needed.

The panels for the Streacom DB4 seem like cast aluminium, it would probably be too expensive to use with CNC for mass-production, but it may be worthwihile for a one-off.

ZA Design

Trash Compacter
Sep 7, 2016
Now you're talking. The space efficiency is much better now!
Still can be improved a bit, but I'm not going to complain ;)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The panels for the Streacom DB4 seem like cast aluminium, it would probably be too expensive to use with CNC for mass-production, but it may be worthwihile for a one-off.

The Streacom outer shell is probably extruded: