Thoughts on Z390 and Z490?

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
For anyone not in the know, AMD is launching Z chipset motherboards and (not) coincidentally they are going with "Z490" and launching alongside Intel's "Z390" launch. Its not the first time in the space that one or the other has tried to take advantage of people thinking "bigger is better".

Personally I love it, they are pushing that they are competition now. Although it might be confusing for some people come launch. What are your thoughts on it?

Additional details:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3300-hw-news-ddr5-at-4400mhz-amd-z490-intel-z390

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
AMD, love your stuff, but naming convention is...

( /)_(\

Tbh im glad its AMD doing it now. Both Intel and Nvidia have done the same thing to them before (Number jump randomly so it was larger to try and gain market share). Although I can agree that the naming scheme is a bit weird, seeing how the new Z chipset fits between the AM4 X and TR4 X chipsets.

Reactions: VegetableStu

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
AMD's release of competitive chipsets is good but their choice of names is poor. It has to be a deliberate move by AMD to use similar prefix (Z, X, B) and numbers (370, 350...etc) as Intel's. So, the confusion is intentional.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Childishness. It certainly makes me less likely to buy or promote their components.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Its a pretty disruptive technique, I look forward to seeing intel's marketing team actually working on new material, if they actually care about AMD confusing customers with their lineup that is.

dan1337

Caliper Novice
May 7, 2018
Why pay for advertising. Everytime someone searches an intel product an AMD cheaper alternative will be shown.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Its a pretty disruptive technique, I look forward to seeing intel's marketing team actually working on new material, if they actually care about AMD confusing customers with their lineup that is.

Since they hired an old AMD marketing hand I assume it will be a glorious success. :-p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Most computer buyers don't know why a i5-8400 is faster than an i7-8700, except "bigger numbers". Because even less people know how an Intel and AMD relate, the only way AMD could even be considered as an option in the past was by riding on the marketing of Intel. This is a problem with PC hardware in general: most hardware requires quite a bit of knowledge to make a good choice.

Reactions: BrotherStein

Fatimayunas

What's an ITX?
May 10, 2018
the Z490 chipset, which is essentially X470 on steroids (with more PCIe lanes). The guide posted by BlueChip recommends June 2018 dispatch for this stage, considerably sooner than B450 (mid-extend chipset for Pinnacle Ridge).
Different guides affirm 8-center Intel Coffee Lake processors coming this year (June to be exact for building tests). Those arrangements (most likely highlighting in excess of one SKU) will be bolstered by z390 motherboard, intended for the top of the line standard motherboards.
The slides additionally show that Threadripper would preferably get a stage to revive than another chipset. Second era Threadripper (in view of Zen+) is at present expected in August, as indicated by the information given by BlueChip.

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
the Z490 chipset, which is essentially X470 on steroids (with more PCIe lanes). The guide posted by BlueChip recommends June 2018 dispatch for this stage, considerably sooner than B450 (mid-extend chipset for Pinnacle Ridge).
Different guides affirm 8-center Intel Coffee Lake processors coming this year (June to be exact for building tests). Those arrangements (most likely highlighting in excess of one SKU) will be bolstered by z390 motherboard, intended for the top of the line standard motherboards.
The slides additionally show that Threadripper would preferably get a stage to revive than another chipset. Second era Threadripper (in view of Zen+) is at present expected in August, as indicated by the information given by BlueChip.

Second generation threadripper is already here, for a few weeks now. What I dislike about it is that only TWO new motherboards have been released for this second gen. The Gigabyte X399 XTreme and the MSI MEG X399 Creation.