Part This sounds crazy, but can the USB-C multiport adapter be used in reverse?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Basically:

Or does anyone know how does one meld USB power and displayport to a USB-C based Displayport monitor?
Trying to scratch this itch this past hour and I can't seem to find any answers on whether such a thing is doable or not

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
No, that doesn't work. This adaptor expects signals from a Host on the male USB-C plug, but the Display is a Device/Function, not a Host.

USB-C monitors that are using the alternate mode for native DP signals ("DisplayPort over USB-C") would require a special adaptor cable, or a GPU with a C-Type connector. The Laptops this screen (it looks like the MB169C+ in your picture) is designed for are able to supply both power and the DP signal via a single cable.

I don't know whether something like a regular USB-C to DisplayPort adaptor would also work in the other direction, but even if it did, it wouldn't supply any power to the display.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Yeah that's where my lookup is right now. I don't think there's like USB-C Y-cables with USB 3A and DP heads for now.
This is just a passing curiosity search, not something I'm looking to fix, so I'm not too bothered by it (hopefully I'll stop thinking about it by the next day, LOL)

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Won't work. I purchased that monitor two months ago and tried every which way to get it to work and it wouldn't. If you check Asus website you'll see the compatible motherboards and laptops that the portable monitor is compatible with. Very few....also contacted Asus and they confirmed it would not work with all the other variations I presented to them. Returned the monitor until something better comes out using Displayport or HDMI so that I could connect it to my GPU.

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I HAVE LATE NEWS:

found in: