Concept This is the Smol X1. This is just a render, but I already ordered a prototype. It's 6.65L, and has huge cooling support!

Joonst

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
smolsff.com
A couple pictures: specs and story are under the pictures.

This is Just a render, and I just ordered a prototype. I am planning on launching this one day and releasing it to the market.

A couple months ago, I wanted to build a sffpc myself. Usually the first thing you do when planning on building such a build, is looking for a case. Some were too big, others were really small but had bad cooling support. I just couldn't find a case that suits me perfectly and therefore I would be less satisfied.

So I decided that I would design my own case, with the perfect balance of component compatibility and size. It's vertical (small footprint) with the ports coming out of the back (in my opinion better than how cases like the velka 5 or nzxt H1 do it). It fits in a backpack easily, unlike most other options out there. There are loads of options for cooling, unlike most other options under 9L...

This is the perfect balance for me, for you it might not be. That's why I am planning to design special requests for people who need a slightly different balance. I want this to be a case for everyone. Remember that it's not about business, but about having fun, learning and helping each other. Here are the specs:

Volume: 6.65L
Motherboard size: ITX
GPU: Dual slot max. 183mm
PSU: Flex ATX or SFX(L)
Case size without feet: 245X186X146mm (6.65L)
Materials: 1mm thick steel, making it very sturdy.
Power button: clicky, tactile or linear Kailh Choc switch (one of my favorite parts of this case)
storage: M.2 only for now. Working really hard on 2.5'' drive support.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cooling with flex atx psu:
- Max cooler height: 126.7mm without fan bracket (Noctua NH-D9L recommended)
-120mm or 140mm aio
Cooling with sfx psu:
- 60mm cooler height, but I recommend to leave at least 10mm open for airflow (so 50mm max)
-92mm aio (Asetek 645lt supported)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Layout: regular (no pcie riser necessary)
Additional fans with flex atx psu:
-80mm exhaust
-120mm or 140mm on the fan bracket
Additional fans with sfx psu:
-top 120mm or 92mm

Please let me know what you think of this in the comment section. I am still working on a website, and it's almost done.

Reactions: Root_User

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I replied to this on Reddit. I'll re-post what I said there:

"First, I love the mount for the Flex psu; it's unique and opens up a lot of possibilities.

As others have pointed out, I would add a 140 radiator mount to the front.

I would also seriously consider making the case a bit deeper.... 175mm GPU with rad+slim fan in front and ~210 without. That way, people could squeeze a 3060ti in there. While there are a few ITX sized 3060/ti announced, they have yet to arrive and will be very rare."

To add to the above, I would recommend the Noctua nh-u9s instead as that has been shown to perform better than the nh-d9l. I doubt a Noctua C14 or Be Quiet Dark Rock TF would fit with the positioning of the Flex PSU, but that's fine. Ultimate cooling would be with a 120/140mm AIO with a slim fan.

Reactions: Joonst

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
I agree with the above. Think of the internal layout as like a Sugo SG13, but shortened and flipped on it's side. That way the rad goes in the front but in such a way that it doesn't interfere with the GPU, meaning that the extra 37mm the rad would take up could be converted into additional GPU length, paving the way for cards such as the EVGA 3060Ti XC and maybe even a short 3070 in the future.

Then you can keep the volume low as you can lose the space in the roof that you would have used mounting the rad up there.

Joonst

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
smolsff.com
Is the GPU limitation necessary? Could you not simply mount it vertically?
I could do that, but that would require a riser and the ports would come out of the bottom or the top. I am planning on launching a 'plus' version after the regular X1 launch. That one will have room for a radiator in the front and a 220mm gpu, and is 8L.

Joonst

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
smolsff.com
I replied to this on Reddit. I'll re-post what I said there:

"First, I love the mount for the Flex psu; it's unique and opens up a lot of possibilities.

As others have pointed out, I would add a 140 radiator mount to the front.

I would also seriously consider making the case a bit deeper.... 175mm GPU with rad+slim fan in front and ~210 without. That way, people could squeeze a 3060ti in there. While there are a few ITX sized 3060/ti announced, they have yet to arrive and will be very rare."

To add to the above, I would recommend the Noctua nh-u9s instead as that has been shown to perform better than the nh-d9l. I doubt a Noctua C14 or Be Quiet Dark Rock TF would fit with the positioning of the Flex PSU, but that's fine. Ultimate cooling would be with a 120/140mm AIO with a slim fan.
Thank you! After the launch of the X1 I could make a 'plus' version that does exactly this. It would be 8L.

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
I could do that, but that would require a riser and the ports would come out of the bottom or the top. I am planning on launching a 'plus' version after the regular X1 launch. That one will have room for a radiator in the front and a 220mm gpu, and is 8L.
I understand you can't please everyone. No intent to be abrasive. I just keep seeing layouts where GPU lengths could be increased without sacrificing features or increasing volumes.