News Thermalright AXP90

It looks like Thermalright is working on a new heatsink in the sub 50mm height class:

Last edited:

Salulu

Efficiency Noob
New User
Dec 13, 2019
Any tests on the graphene coated version? Just pulled the trigger on one from superbuy

From what I was able to find on chinese forums these aftermarket graphene coats they put on are useless for cooling and just an IQ tax as they put it.
In fact it's possible it makes the performance worse depending on how it's done.
None of them use pure graphene since it would be extremely expensive, It's all just composite stuff, if it's graphene at all.
On a worse case scenario the coating is actually just black paint and potentially releases toxic fumes once heated up.
Other users said the graphene coating started chipping off on theirs, and if it really is graphene.. well it's extremely electrically conductive, so have fun with electrically conductive flakes landing on your motherboard.

I wouldn't risk it with these aftermarket coatings personally. Just save the extra few bucks and get the aluminum or pure copper versions.

EDIT: Here's the link to one of the forum topics about it. https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2142096-1-1.html

Last edited:

Teduh

Chassis Packer
Nov 21, 2019
From what I was able to find on chinese forums these aftermarket graphene coats they put on are useless for cooling and just an IQ tax as they put it.
In fact it's possible it makes the performance worse depending on how it's done.
None of them use pure graphene since it would be extremely expensive, It's all just composite stuff, if it's graphene at all.
On a worse case scenario the coating is actually just black paint and potentially releases toxic fumes once heated up.
Other users said the graphene coating started chipping off on theirs, and if it really is graphene.. well it's extremely electrically conductive, so have fun with electrically conductive flakes landing on your motherboard.

I wouldn't risk it with these aftermarket coatings personally. Just save the extra few bucks and get the aluminum or pure copper versions.

EDIT: Here's the link to one of the forum topics about it. https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2142096-1-1.html

Should be very unlikely it's pure graphene, so we shouldn't have to worry about conductivity right?

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I am not worried about any possible adverse effect of having a graphene coating if it was applied by Thermalright. If it is done by an individual, then we should exercise caution. But I understand the coating is done by Thermalright, so it should be trustworthy. Toxic vapour is highly unlikely to be released from a warmed heatsink as this necessitates a boiling point of, say, around 40C for the material.

Whether it can provide any thermal benefit, I am not sure. If it does, it is probably 2-3C, minimal benefit (that is what I have read in the past). But I think, if you do not like the colour of the copper, then having a black coating is an option, aesethetically. Additionally, the graphene coating should work as a protective layer to prevent oxidation, leading to 'ugly' colouring in some people's eyes. So, if you want a full copper version (wanting its thermal performance) but dislike the natural colour and/or oxidation colour, this is an option.

Reactions: scatterforce

Salulu

Efficiency Noob
New User
Dec 13, 2019
I am not worried about any possible adverse effect of having a graphene coating if it was applied by Thermalright. If it is done by an individual, then we should exercise caution. But I understand the coating is done by Thermalright, so it should be trustworthy. Toxic vapour is highly unlikely to be released from a warmed heatsink as this necessitates a boiling point of, say, around 40C for the material.

Whether it can provide any thermal benefit, I am not sure. If it does, it is probably 2-3C, minimal benefit (that is what I have read in the past). But I think, if you do not like the colour of the copper, then having a black coating is an option, aesethetically. Additionally, the graphene coating should work as a protective layer to prevent oxidation, leading to 'ugly' colouring in some people's eyes. So, if you want a full copper version (wanting its thermal performance) but dislike the natural colour and/or oxidation colour, this is an option.
It's not done by Thermalright, that's the issue. These coatings are all aftermarket done by the sellers on taobao. What's actually in it is the question.
The toxic vapour part is probably being way over-cautious I admit, but the rest of the points should be enough concern whether to risk it with these for a possible 2-3C benefit, if even that. As far as I've read, (and I could be wrong I'm open to correction here), if the graphene isn't applied correctly it actually has a negative impact on thermals, as it's entirely dependent on how the graphene layer is formed on the surface.

Should be very unlikely it's pure graphene, so we shouldn't have to worry about conductivity right?
That I don't really know. But even if it is just a composite, it still has some amount of graphene in it that could short something out I would imagine.

Avalon

Case Bender
Dec 17, 2019
It's not done by Thermalright, that's the issue. These coatings are all aftermarket done by the sellers on taobao. What's actually in it is the question.
The toxic vapour part is probably being way over-cautious I admit, but the rest of the points should be enough concern whether to risk it with these for a possible 2-3C benefit, if even that. As far as I've read, (and I could be wrong I'm open to correction here), if the graphene isn't applied correctly it actually has a negative impact on thermals, as it's entirely dependent on how the graphene layer is formed on the surface.

That I don't really know. But even if it is just a composite, it still has some amount of graphene in it that could short something out I would imagine.
aftermarket coatings are what I’ve been reading as well. I’ve ordered a return and put in an order for the copper variant to be on the safe side.

there really is no mention of any graphene version from the apparent product description.
Edit:
on a sidenote, is the “owl” fan from taobao which I understand to be a noctua, be a legitimate product?

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

Are you 100% sure each individual Taobao seller does his own graphene coating, independent of a common source?
Each seller buys some heatsinks (from Thermalright) and then applies the coating himself and then resell them?
If so, then there is no guarantee of the quality of the material used and the workmanship as well.
And this will void the Thermalright warranty.
This is, of course, possible but is unlikely.

I would rather believe that Thermalright does the graphene coating (at least for their AXP-100) with full warranty . The AXP-100 graphene version was released by TR as limited edition back then with coating applied by their New Taipei City factory. (Just checked the official Thermalright sales channel where the AXP-100 Graphene version is still available. So, it does not make sense if TR buys back graphene coated coolers from these sellers to sell on TR official channel.)
Not sure about the AXP-90. I see no reason why TR does not do it themselves but I have not yet seen one available from an official channel.

Note the white sticker on the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

ASCii

(ツ)
Jan 7, 2017
I received my AXP-90 today (Intel), here are some photos for whom are interested.

Dropped my temps more than 10c vs the Noctua l9i

Here are my load temps (handbrake) | 4790k non load averages 34c
Admittedly my system gets quite loud under this load when the Noctua NF-F12 iPPC ramps up though.

Last edited:

Spook

Cable Smoosher
Feb 24, 2017
I've purchased 2 through taobao so if anyone has questions I will try my best to answer them when they arrive.

Reactions: Mako

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Love this axp90, especially with am4 socket where you can choose best heatsink orientation.. :)
To be honest only issue is to buy it?
Is it possible to use 25mm fan on it?

ASCii

(ツ)
Jan 7, 2017
A 25mm fan would fit, however the clips would need to be sourced... Noctua clips might work?

I guess it's possible the ones it comes with could be stretched?, I don't think I would recommend it though.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Ok thanks a lot.
I just realised that axp 90 heatsink is 33mm thanks to your pictures.
It won’t fit in my sm550 even with my mod..:)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Ok thanks a lot.
I just realised that axp 90 heatsink is 33mm thanks to your pictures.
It won’t fit in my sm550 even with my mod..:)
Unless you mod it to sit shorter(filing down the top of the heatsink), or mod panel to stick out another ~2mm. :)

ASCii

(ツ)
Jan 7, 2017
A 25mm will probably fit in my case (it will be close), I might give it a try with Noctua clips some time just to see.

Last edited:

Tashi

Trash Compacter
Jun 15, 2019
Love this axp90, especially with am4 socket where you can choose best heatsink orientation.. :)
To be honest only issue is to buy it?
Is it possible to use 25mm fan on it?
Are you sure you it can be rotated? Looking at the picture from the cold plate side I don't see how that is possible.