News Thermalright AXP90

It looks like Thermalright is working on a new heatsink in the sub 50mm height class:

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Mounting on my 5600x on a Gigabyte X570 ITX, the rubber washers on the bracket standoff rer nowhere near touching the MB surface and as such the threads did not protrude too far on the back side.

I ended up tightening down with an equal amount of thread protruding through the nut and left it at that.

Performance wise, I back to backed against my old Noctua L9a using the Noctua fan.

Case: XPROTO (open case)

Paste: Conductonaut

BIOS: PBO enabled with manual PBO limits of PPT 95w, TDC 70 , EDC 120 and same fan profile 100% at 65degC all to keep the variables to a minimum.

Test: Cinebench R23 Multicore 15mins warm up and then average temp and Freq for the first full render after the 15th min.

Noctua L9a
Temp: 81.2degC
Freq: 4443Mhz

AXP90 Full copper
Temp: 72.3degC
Freq: 4490Mhz
The Noctua NH-L9i/a are mighty little coolers but the AXP90, especially full copper, is on another level. Thanks for sharing your results.

Ziggy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 17, 2021
The Noctua NH-L9i/a are mighty little coolers but the AXP90, especially full copper, is on another level. Thanks for sharing your results.
Interesting, to touch, in use the APX90 is much cooler than the L9a, which was always hot to the touch.

On my in-use Curve Optimised BIOS profile I've now managed to increase my PPT to 110 watts, TDC to 75 EDC to 125. Still around 80degC after 10mins R23 muti-core and picked up 200points.

Reactions: hyshka and rfarmer

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Interesting, to touch, in use the APX90 is much cooler than the L9a, which was always hot to the touch.

On my in-use Curve Optimised BIOS profile I've now managed to increase my PPT to 110 watts, TDC to 75 EDC to 125. Still around 80degC after 10mins R23 muti-core and picked up 200points.

The AXP90 x47 is bigger with more mass than the L9a, thus will most likely be better, and the full copper variant would only benefit the AXP90. Bigger coolers are typically always better, the L9a is a great cooler, and I would think it should be used only if you can't fit anything else bigger.

The AXP90's stock fan is kinda loud but spins faster though, the NF-A9x14 is still one hell of a good fan.

I did some tests with some of the coolers that I have on my 5600X, if you are interested in seeing my totally unscientific methods. My 5600X isn't the best binned, and could only hold a very minor negative CO, and the L9a hard crashed a few times (with CO and slight increased in PPT) during my tests.

Reactions: hyshka and Phuncz

hyshka

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2020
Mounting on my 5600x on a Gigabyte X570 ITX, the rubber washers on the bracket standoff rer nowhere near touching the MB surface and as such the threads did not protrude too far on the back side.

I ended up tightening down with an equal amount of thread protruding through the nut and left it at that.

Performance wise, I back to backed against my old Noctua L9a using the Noctua fan.

Case: XPROTO (open case)

Paste: Conductonaut

BIOS: PBO enabled with manual PBO limits of PPT 95w, TDC 70 , EDC 120 and same fan profile 100% at 65degC all to keep the variables to a minimum.

Test: Cinebench R23 Multicore 15mins warm up and then average temp and Freq for the first full render after the 15th min.

Noctua L9a
Temp: 81.2degC
Freq: 4443Mhz

AXP90 Full copper
Temp: 72.3degC
Freq: 4490Mhz

Thank you for the direct, and thorough, comparison @Ziggy!

hyshka

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2020
Has anyone here ordered the AXP90-X47 FULL from aliexpress as linked previously? I want one but am hesitant based on one review on the product page that said there was no backplate.

I am tempted to pull the trigger, for science, but don't want to get burned with the old model since one key feature I want is the ability to rotate it 90*.

Edit: I tried contacting the aliexpress store but did not get a clear reply:

"Hello, can you confirm that this is the updated model of the AXP90-X47 FULL which includes a back plate and is able to be rotated so that the heatsink fins are parallel with the RAM modules on AM4? http://thermalright.com/product/axp90-x47-full/" - Me

"您好,是的,这款是AXP90-47 FULL,支持AM4已经INTEL
Hello, yes, this is AXP90-47 FULL, it supports AM4 already INTEL" - Ruiyi Cooler Store

Another Edit: I ended up ordering one "AXP90-X47 FULL" from this store for $80 CAD shipped. I expect it to be a long while before I have my hands on it but will do some benchmarks against my l9i when I get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: scatterforce

painterkev

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 15, 2022
Got my hands on the new AXP90-X47 and the PPLANE AMD brackets that were mentioned a bit earlier this thread (thanks for the lead!)

I will benchmark the following over the next few weeks whenever time allows. Planning to do open bench, closed case and some combinations of 90 deg rotation and non-rotation using a 5950x, B550i Aorus, Velka 7 and NF-A9x14
  • AXP-90R Full (copper)
  • AXP-90R Full Black (copper, coated black)
  • AXP90-X47 (aluminum)
Also, some interesting changes on the latest AXP90-X47 I noticed
  • It's slightly narrower (2mm)
    • Translates to 3 less fin rows
  • Larger cold plate
    • The new AM4 brackets will not be compatible with the older revisions
  • No Full (copper) version yet, even for the Black edition

(Excuse the stained copper, I should have worn gloves lol...)

(Mounting mechanism on the PPLANE brackets look much better, you can bring your own M3 screw if length is an issue)
I got those brackets the other day and found that the heatsink heatpipes would not clear MOSFETS? in either orientation. That was with ASRock B550M-ITX/ac with more clearance say than a x590 itx. It made me wonder if it would fit any itx board. Am I not Mounting correctly?. Should you fit other screws to bracket first? Was trying to figure out if I could add washers to lift it the few mm's needed to clear. But wouldn't that just leave no contact between CPU and heatsink

Edit PPLANE AMD brackets for AXP-90R full

Last edited by a moderator: