theHACK's Dancase

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
A neat lil' build I did. This is going to the permanent home for my 2600X and GTX 1070. Components:

- Dancase A4-SFX

- 2600X

- EVGA GTX 1070

- Asrock B350

- NH-L9a

- 100mm slim fan (no poop here!)

- Silverstone SFX 450W (it's crap, I hate it but I'm working on a 12V DC-DC solution)

- 500GB m.2

- Special* 24pin Plug in DC Board. Turns that 24 wire into 2!

The plug in DC board does have the unforunate side effect of keeping the 12V rail powered on. Since fans connect directly to it, it does leave them on when the computer is "off." It's fine so I just turn my computer to low power mode. I would be switching to a 250W external PSU build for silence in a couple months when I finish my DC-DC project.

I started with a black DC fan, but decided to see how my thermalright fan looks. 3d print a fan funnel just to help keep the warm air away from the intake. Not sure if it helps much but it looks neat.

P.S. poop fan sucks.

Future plans? Switch to a Meanwell 250W external PSU + internal DC-DC board.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
So that's a 24pin direct plug unit wired up to an SFX PSU? Wow lol
Did you do that to reduce the cable clutter inside?

Do you have any plans for what to put in the space left by the SFX PSU once you do Meanwell externally? Why external? I've been considering one of those Meanwell PSUs so sorry for the bombardment of questions :)

Also, what is the bearing noise like on those 100mm fans?

Reactions: Thehack

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Do you have any plans for what to put in the space left by the SFX PSU once you do Meanwell externally? Why external? I've been considering one of those Meanwell PSUs so sorry for the bombardment of questions :)

1. Yes. I turned 24 10" wires into 2 4" wires. I hate 24 pin cables and I have been waging war on them since I've joined this forum.

2. I'm going external to showcase my DC-DC board. Point to show so that people can cram a 120mm rad in there. I can also go internal as well, as I do have a 300W unit here.

3. 100mm fan is excellent. It gets drowned out by the crappy Silverstone unit, but I can't be bothered to get a different SFX unit when my money is going towards the DC project.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Thanks for you response. I'll keep an eye on your projects since I'm very much in favor of 12v PSUs and direct plug DC-DC units :)

Edit: what is roughly the RPMs you usually run the 100mm fan at?

Last edited:

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
would love to see how ya wired that all up cause I been looking at using a sfx (or atx since my sfx died..) to power a dc/dc inside the case an have maybe cable sets going into the case : dc/dc power, gfx power, sata

Reactions: NateDawg72 and BaK

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
would love to see how ya wired that all up cause I been looking at using a sfx (or atx since my sfx died..) to power a dc/dc inside the case an have maybe cable sets going into the case : dc/dc power, gfx power, sata

Funny enough, I'm designing a kit that will do exactly that:

It has 8 pin input, and a picokit to allow you to use external PSUs. The only gotcha is I will only rate it for 300W - enough for an 8400 + 1070 (you can push more, but it'll be on your luck ;)).

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I'm glad to see progress on that project/kit :)

Is the rating limited by heat or simply down to the components used? Looks like a pretty small unit so I'm guessing the latter. I'm using Ryzen 2600 & 1080 so I'd be pushing it I think

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm glad to see progress on that project/kit :)

Is the rating limited by heat or simply down to the components used? Looks like a pretty small unit so I'm guessing the latter. I'm using Ryzen 2600 & 1080 so I'd be pushing it I think

The rating is based on cooling and actually the connectors. If you use the industrial terminals that are on the board, you can use the max board rating, which is 400W.

Reactions: NateDawg72

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Alright. I'll move this discussion to the other thread if you think it belongs there, but let me ask another question to make sure I understand.

This kit would allow me to use something like the EPP-400-12 to power a build, with a picu unit on the 24 pin and GPU synced through the kit? And I'd need to provide cooling for both the kit & Meanwell PSU and wire up a C14 plug to the Meanwell PSU?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Alright. I'll move this discussion to the other thread if you think it belongs there, but let me ask another question to make sure I understand.

This kit would allow me to use something like the EPP-400-12 to power a build, with a picu unit on the 24 pin and GPU synced through the kit? And I'd need to provide cooling for both the kit & Meanwell PSU and wire up a C14 plug to the Meanwell PSU?

The kit just need some air flow around it, so avoid putting it in a heat pocket. You do not have to provide direct cooling.

Otherwise for the meanwell yes, you need to direct some airflow do it to do 400W.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Slight update: added a 100mm fan to cool the motherboard side, since it wasn't getting any airflow. I attached the fan by placing two magnets CPU block mounting screws and using two screws on the fan. This allows it to just sit on the magnets.

Did some light gaming test: at 70W CPU consumption, my temp was 65C, at a very respectable noise level. To be honest, it's not that much better than my NH-L9a, but I'm doing it because I can. :)