Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
Does anyone know where to find this case? I know they finished their run, but I'm really interested in it or a viable clone if anyone knows of one.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
According to some some leaks, the 6700 XT is listed at 150W and 6800 XT at 200W, so looks like there's some hope for <190mm cards.

Reactions: Revenant

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Does anyone know where to find this case? I know they finished their run, but I'm really interested in it or a viable clone if anyone knows of one.

The current production run has ended. I've volunteered to assist free of charge if he does another run. Unfortunately there are no plans right now, and there are only about 300 cases in the wild. You may have to wait until one comes up used.

That said, there are a few alternatives, though nothing exactly like it. Jonsbo has a few worth looking at. The NCASE M1 is larger, but quite nice. Dan A4-SFX is good as well. There are several console style cases. Custom Mod might have something close to it. You might also be able to have a one-off made if you can partner with the manufacturer and get the schematics. However, I imagine it would cost a lot more than $200.

Reactions: Engr62

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
The current production run has ended. I've volunteered to assist free of charge if he does another run. Unfortunately there are no plans right now, and there are only about 300 cases in the wild. You may have to wait until one comes up used.

That said, there are a few alternatives, though nothing exactly like it. Jonsbo has a few worth looking at. The NCASE M1 is larger, but quite nice. Dan A4-SFX is good as well. There are several console style cases. Custom Mod might have something close to it. You might also be able to have a one-off made if you can partner with the manufacturer and get the schematics. However, I imagine it would cost a lot more than $200.

Thanks, I've already got a Dan A4, a K39, and a Salvo S402 (great 9.7 L console case). Any idea how to contact the manufacturer? I reached out through the website to no effect. I'll have to check Custom Mod too, I'm mostly interested in something like the Mi-6 with the 120mm tophat.

daedos

Caliper Novice
Jun 11, 2016

Shame production ended as it was a fairly unique proposition. Taobao is your best bet for a clone, the 6.7l ZS-A4L stands out and the maker has recently joined sff.net. No front IO unfortunately.

ZS A4L v2

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
There are many from Taobao, ZS-A4L V3 above is one, there are also Metalfish T40, Acat S1, Sunmilo S01, SeaDamaged SE Mid Mini, Captain S. V6, LGK3S, AKKLA A3, LZMod F1-SFX. Look at the SFF Case List in my signature for the links.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
There are many from Taobao, ZS-A4L V3 above is one, there are also Metalfish T40, Acat S1, Sunmilo S01, SeaDamaged SE Mid Mini, Captain S. V6, LGK3S, AKKLA A3, LZMod F1-SFX. Look at the SFF Case List in my signature for the links.
Good list. I really like the look of the Sunmilo S01 personally, I like the top fan mount.

Reactions: prayogahs

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020

Second the above, really great list. Thank you.

Reactions: prayogahs

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
That is a heck of a list. Thanks @prayogahs for all the hard work! Lot's of variety, some with some pretty good designs.

Seeing all the Chinese cases shouldn't be all that surprising, with their industrial base and all. But it does make me wonder why we don't have a bunch of contenders from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin and other industrial states in the U.S. By comparison, for the MI-6 I had only 5 or so sheet metal fabricators to chose from around Phoenix, that would consider doing low-volume work. Makes ya wonder.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
Dude, it’s a huge bummer that they ripped of your case. The original is really awesome and much nicer feature wise than the Chinese versions. Do you have any plans to make any more?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Dude, it’s a huge bummer that they ripped of your case. The original is really awesome and much nicer feature wise than the Chinese versions. Do you have any plans to make any more?
Thanks for the kind words brother. The case wasn't perfect but it was a fun design, and sorry but no, no plans for more cases. There might be someone around looking to sell tho.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
That's sad to hear. Really bummed I missed the bus on the case. out of curiosity, did you have any users able to do a custom loop with the 120mm tophat? If I can't find a used one for sale, I might pull the trigger on one of the chinese ones (sorry but really wanna build in this form factor) and it seems like a 3070 FEish sized pcb card might be viable with a water block and 120 mil rad.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
That's sad to hear. Really bummed I missed the bus on the case. out of curiosity, did you have any users able to do a custom loop with the 120mm tophat? If I can't find a used one for sale, I might pull the trigger on one of the chinese ones (sorry but really wanna build in this form factor) and it seems like a 3070 FEish sized pcb card might be viable with a water block and 120 mil rad.
I didn't hear much back on the tall tophat users as far as a custom or AIO loop. I did a Corsair 120mm AIO --fact it's running right now.
You think a 3070 pcb is short enough to fit?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Been working on the house, the yard, the cars, which never seems to end, lol.

Such is life :) But good to know you keep yourself busy with some fun activities!

How have you been? Good to see you as a mod, keeping us in line.

Got busy with a new family member, got a little paycut.. well life is currently a roller coaster ride, but considering we're in the middle of Covid-19 pandemic, I guess I'm generally OK.

I've been here for 4 or 5 years & have learned a lot from many of you in the forum - so I decided to contribute in return in the way I can. And it's nothing really - there are many people who contribute the same or even more: defusing tension, fostering interesting discussion, welcoming new members, etc. They are "the mod without the badge", and we're really thankful to have them here in the forum.

How is it going there in.. FL, if I remember correctly?

Reactions: Revenant

leifeinar

Trash Compacter
Sep 18, 2019
OMG :) check out preformace pr watt. and other numbers are amazing, just need someone to go ITX.... :)