Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
So I'm curious... What builds are everyone planning for their new MI6?

Right now, my plan is to wait until Nvidia and Intel both go to 10 or 7nm (Late 2020 or early 2021) and do a new gaming/editing machine. I'm waiting because I don't want less than 12 cores / 24 threads. I'm hoping by then that the GeForce 3XXX series will have a mini card with the power of a 2080ti.

My current MI6 was an editing computer (I7-8700 and GTX 1070), but has been repurposed as our living room gaming media PC.

Reactions: rfarmer

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
On the CPU side, I'd like to upgrade to a 3900X, as well as a mobo with dual m.2 slots so I could get rid of my sata drives. I might do the mobo anyways, and throw my current one in a smaller rig.
On the GPU side, I want to go AMD, but there's nothing worth going to from a GTX1070. So I'll keep waiting.

leifeinar

Trash Compacter
Sep 18, 2019
Been testing the 3700x, thought it would be to hot for the MI-6. But have to say, ryzen master is great for fine tuning voltage and heat output. rough examples here, but my chip is doing 3,9ghz @ 1,1v 70c and 3,6 @1.0v 58c (prime95 54c) load in all core F@H. stock cooler with a 1000rpm noctua. Just saying, 3900x og 3950x could be done

Got the gigabyte x570, chipset fan can't be heard. did not expext this :) Expensive, but 2 M.2 slot so i can drop the 2.5 ssd and the cable. running a 1tb MX500.

Gpu,: been waiting for the Navi 14, or a itx 5700 with 1 8 pin power. maby the 1660 super? most important here is fans stop. og a 1650 super with no power cable. or go all in with the Gigabyte 2070 super ??

Hope we get the case before christmas :)

Reactions: Jello and Revenant

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Been testing the 3700x, thought it would be to hot for the MI-6. But have to say, ryzen master is great for fine tuning voltage and heat output. rough examples here, but my chip is doing 3,9ghz @ 1,1v 70c and 3,6 @1.0v 58c (prime95 54c) load in all core F@H. stock cooler with a 1000rpm noctua. Just saying, 3900x og 3950x could be done

Got the gigabyte x570, chipset fan can't be heard. did not expext this :) Expensive, but 2 M.2 slot so i can drop the 2.5 ssd and the cable. running a 1tb MX500.

Gpu,: been waiting for the Navi 14, or a itx 5700 with 1 8 pin power. maby the 1660 super? most important here is fans stop. og a 1650 super with no power cable. or go all in with the Gigabyte 2070 super ??

Hope we get the case before christmas :)
Zotac already has a 1660 Super listed that is dual fan and only 173mm long, would be a good fit for the MI-6. I was watching some reviews on the 1660 Super this morning and looks like there is no reason to spend the extra on the 1660 Ti.

Reactions: leifeinar

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Zotac already has a 1660 Super listed that is dual fan and only 173mm long, would be a good fit for the MI-6. I was watching some reviews on the 1660 Super this morning and looks like there is no reason to spend the extra on the 1660 Ti.

This is a good news, thanks @rfarmer.

I'll be building a living room PC. It has bigger 4K monitor (I know I know, 1660x won't properly push 4K but I don't mind lowering down some graphic settings, or lowering down the resolution).

Edit: any info on diameter of the fans which they use? Just curious.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
This is a good news, thanks @rfarmer.

I'll be building a living room PC. It has bigger 4K monitor (I know I know, 1660x won't properly push 4K but I don't mind lowering down some graphic settings, or lowering down the resolution).

Edit: any info on diameter of the fans which they use? Just curious.
I am guessing 80mm due to the card size.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Anyone here who has a MSI Aero ITX card, have you tried replacing the stock fan and shroud with an aftermarket Noctua fan or something else? I have no reason to do this, it was just an idea that come to my head lol.

Reactions: ignsvn

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Anyone here who has a MSI Aero ITX card, have you tried replacing the stock fan and shroud with an aftermarket Noctua fan or something else? I have no reason to do this, it was just an idea that come to my head lol.

Can't say I've ever thought of doing it to my Aero 1070. Card is pretty quiet as is, and OCs to 2GHZ all day. That said, I would love to see a mod if you're doing it.

Reactions: huddy

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Can't say I've ever thought of doing it to my Aero 1070. Card is pretty quiet as is, and OCs to 2GHZ all day. That said, I would love to see a mod if you're doing it.
A few quick searches haven't led to anyone modding an Aero ITX card at all. I don't really have a reason to mod it, was just an idea.

Frazhna

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
So I'm curious... What builds are everyone planning for their new MI6?

I’m starting to plan a bit of an upgrade for mine. I’m still on an i7 4770k. My main use case is World of Warcraft with some other games thrown in from time to time.

I’m pretty excited about the new AMD CPUs, but I don’t want to give up or mod my Scythe Big Shuriken II. Because of this I’m still considering an i5 9600k instead of the AMD. Given the constraints for CPU coolers in this case, which CPU do you guys think is the better option? It sounds like the performance difference is fairly small, and I don’t care about the price difference either. Just which one will be able to reach its highest potential inside the MI-6? Will one be more noisy than the other?

edit: removed “cooler” I meant to ask which CPU would be a better option given the cooling constraints.

Last edited:

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I’m starting to plan a bit of an upgrade for mine. I’m still on an i7 4770k. My main use case is World of Warcraft with some other games thrown in from time to time.

I’m pretty excited about the new AMD CPUs, but I don’t want to give up or mod my Scythe Big Shuriken II. Because of this I’m still considering an i5 9600k instead of the AMD. Given the constraints for CPU coolers in this case, which CPU cooler do you guys think is the better option? It sounds like the performance difference is fairly small, and I don’t care about the price difference either. Just which one will be able to reach its highest potential inside the MI-6? Will one be more noisy than the other?

I’m fond of the L12S. Very quiet, and can handle 95 watts.

Reactions: rfarmer

Frazhna

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
I’m fond of the L12S. Very quiet, and can handle 95 watts.
I wasn’t sure if the L12S would fit. It won’t fit if the fan is on top of the fins right? Do you pull air in or push air out through the fins? What CPU are you cooling? Is it over-clocked?

Last edited:

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
I wonder if anyone tought about direct die cooling with an air cooler? Der8auer has that neat cpu braked for it. With the 3mm gain trough the missing IHS, something like the 69mm Big Shuriken 3 should now fit, no?

huddy

Caliper Novice
Aug 22, 2018
I wasn’t sure if the L12S would fit. It won’t fit if the fan is on top of the fins right? Do you pull air in or push air out through the fins? What CPU are you cooling? Is it over-clocked?

Fit is very tight but it works with a very moderate bulge to the panel. I have a fan inderneath downdraft style with vengeance LPX RAM underneath. Performance with my stock 3700X has been fantastic. It is difficult for me to search things as this post is from a phone, but one of my earlier posts (believe it was in this thread) show the fit and bulge and such so you can see if it would be objectionable. IMO, it is small enough not to matter.

Last edited:

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

I7-8700 non-k with long term power at 100+ watts. AVX loads typically stay at around 4GHZ all core. Gaming at 4.3 GHZ (max for the CPU). The fan is mounted under, and I have it drawing air in (Pull). There is no bulging, but it does touch the case panel. All components are well cooled.

A long time ago we all were talking about a version 3 of the case. I guess my only change would be about 5mm more CPU clearance to account for Ryzen boards. Other than that, still love the case.

Reactions: ignsvn and rfarmer