Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

thel3igo

Trash Compacter
Nov 4, 2018
That 2nd batch case looks so much easier to build in than the first batch. Really nice!
I went and made it a bit more difficult by using the scythe cooler. i saw some others in this thread use the L12... I wouldn't even know how to get the motherboard in the case with that behemoth on. Mad respect to those folks

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
I went and made it a bit more difficult by using the scythe cooler. i saw some others in this thread use the L12... I wouldn't even know how to get the motherboard in the case with that behemoth on. Mad respect to those folks
I actually have a NH-L12 on my i5-8600K that's in my first batch MI-6 (with the bottom 92mm fan only, of course). It helps to have the fan on the underside of the heat sink to keep it running quietly since the fan is far away from the vented side of the case. But, I really like the way you've used the Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B heat sink with a Cryorig slim 140 mm fan. I happen to have a BS2RB laying around that I had in this case when I was running an i7-4790K in it. I also have a Cryorig slim 140 mm fan from my Cryorig H5 Universal.

Reactions: Weredawg

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Personally, building in this is very easy because the minimum internal frame structure.

The only difficult part is dual staggered drives config which may partially block the SATA power connector. However there's no issue if you use custom cable. I know it's an extra cost, but there are already a lot of sacrifice in going SFF, so might as well go all the way :)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I actually have a NH-L12 on my i5-8600K that's in my first batch MI-6 (with the bottom 92mm fan only, of course). It helps to have the fan on the underside of the heat sink to keep it running quietly since the fan is far away from the vented side of the case. But, I really like the way you've used the Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B heat sink with a Cryorig slim 140 mm fan. I happen to have a BS2RB laying around that I had in this case when I was running an i7-4790K in it. I also have a Cryorig slim 140 mm fan from my Cryorig H5 Universal.

I'm one of those with 1st batch MI-6 + 1st batch NH-L12. Yeah it's darn quiet with the fan at the underside of the radiator. However, living in tropical area, I feel sometimes it's not fast enough to bring cool air in & get hot air out.. Not a deal breaker though.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hey guys, I finally got a bit of testing in with the Noctua NH-L12S, comparing it to the L12 and the Big Shuriken2.
I just tested the max cooling case: CPU and case fans at 100%. A bit noisy, but a comparison point. Below in the first graphic is the L-12S added.
Temps about the same as BS2, which I guess is to be expected since they are similar sizes and 120mm fans.

P.S. The cover does touch and push on the L-12S, but the L-12S seems to flex the 2mm or so easily. There is no cover bulge. The HS flexes pretty easily.
I can recommend using the L-12S, with a caveat about cover contact.

Last edited:

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Yes the SSD mounting was tight, I also used short SATA cables that are barely long enough to plug in properly lol. For the sake of building in SFF cases, would be nice to have a 4tb m.2 that's affordable. I gotta eventually get some pictures of my build to share.

Reactions: ignsvn

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yes the SSD mounting was tight, I also used short SATA cables that are barely long enough to plug in properly lol. For the sake of building in SFF cases, would be nice to have a 4tb m.2 that's affordable. I gotta eventually get some pictures of my build to share.

I agree with that. I just bought a 1TB M.2 for $109 and that I consider affordable.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Yes I paid roughly around that. My board has a single m.2 slot, but my next build will definitely have a board that has dual m.2, the ideal setup would be a 2Tb nvme drive, and a 4tb sata m.2. That would be purely for future proofing. Case wise, Mi-6 is ideal for me.

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017

Update on the OEM HP RX580. It was getting a little warmer than I would like, so I stripped it down and applied thermal grizzly kryonaut. I also ramped the fan curve earlier. Thermals are much better now, and I’m very happy with the turn out. This case has a phenomenal build quality, and I’d highly recommend it to anyone!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Sorry guys, I have not been on the forums much lately. I have been working some behind the scenes some, mostly making the lofts as easy as possible to install and work on. I was also working on tweaks to the case, but realized that they were pretty minor, -revising the PSU vent opening for example. Not worth the trouble, really.

So getting closer to another run of the MI-6 SE case. The plan is still to also offer the short and tall lofts. I'm cleaning up loft drawings to get them out for final quote. Then we can move forward! The ordering window will open at the end of June, if not earlier.

-F

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I don't need a 2nd MI-6.
I don't need a 2nd MI-6.
I don't need a 2nd MI-6.
I don't need a 2nd MI-6.
I don't need a 2nd MI-6.

Sorry guys, I have not been on the forums much lately. I have been working some behind the scenes some, mostly making the lofts as easy as possible to install and work on. I was also working on tweaks to the case, but realized that they were pretty minor, -revising the PSU vent opening for example. Not worth the trouble, really.

So getting closer to another run of the MI-6 SE case. The plan is still to also offer the short and tall lofts. I'm cleaning up loft drawings to get them out for final quote. Then we can move forward! The ordering window will open at the end of June, if not earlier.

-F

Glad to hear that!

If I may suggest some improvements:
- Give more distance to the staggered drives so normal PSU SATA cable can be used. (If possible. If there's no space to do it then yeah the current distance OK)
- Put more vent holes on the back side, nearby the mobo IO, under the back power switch. My theory is that it'll help to dissipate heat from the interior.

What's the current projected price point btw?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

-F

....and it will be available in white with a black top? ?

Reactions: rfarmer

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I don't need a 2nd MI-6.
I don't need a 2nd MI-6.
I don't need a 2nd MI-6.
I don't need a 2nd MI-6.
I don't need a 2nd MI-6.

Glad to hear that!

If I may suggest some improvements:
- Give more distance to the staggered drives so normal PSU SATA cable can be used. (If possible. If there's no space to do it then yeah the current distance OK)
- Put more vent holes on the back side, nearby the mobo IO, under the back power switch. My theory is that it'll help to dissipate heat from the interior.

What's the current projected price point btw?

Drive distances -- I was just going over that today. --couldn't find a way to increase the distance between those paired mounting locations without increasing the case length. Kinda hoping that there are enough other options: flipping 1 of the 2 drives end-to-end to separate the connectors, or putting just 1 thick drive there (up to 15mm), putting 1 in a quick release bracket on the front wall, putting 1 at the bottom instead of a case fan, and maybe using M.2 jacks on the MB.

Adding vent holes by the MB -- Again, that was a change I was contemplating. But I don't think it will give enough benefit. I mean, to use the case for a std 8700k or higher for future-proofing, adding those vents isn't enough. The main limit seems to be the heat sink performance: the NH-L12S and Big Shuriken are about as high performance as will fit in the case. So the lofts are plan. Short loft to move lots of air out of the case. Tall loft to go to 120mm water-cooling.

Those are my thoughts, but always open to better thinking.

You need more MI-6s

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Drive distances -- I was just going over that today. --couldn't find a way to increase the distance between those paired mounting locations without increasing the case length. Kinda hoping that there are enough other options: flipping 1 of the 2 drives end-to-end to separate the connectors, or putting just 1 thick drive there (up to 15mm), putting 1 in a quick release bracket on the front wall, putting 1 at the bottom instead of a case fan, and maybe using M.2 jacks on the MB.
You need more MI-6s

Ah it's alright then. The current solution good enough.

Adding vent holes by the MB -- Again, that was a change I was contemplating. But I don't think it will give enough benefit. I mean, to use the case for a std 8700k or higher for future-proofing, adding those vents isn't enough. The main limit seems to be the heat sink performance: the NH-L12S and Big Shuriken are about as high performance as will fit in the case. So the lofts are plan. Short loft to move lots of air out of the case. Tall loft to go to 120mm water-cooling.

It won't be a big factor, but nevertheless it does help especially when cooler fins are horizontal (parallel with the case top). I understand it involves additional cost - any ballpark figure how much it'll add?

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I’d kill for one of these in steel with a loft and unfinished I feel like this would look so good with some rust >.< that sounds weird but I love forcing rust and then sealing it so beautiful