Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

eastofnowhere

Cable Smoosher
Jun 25, 2017
May I ask how much that was?
Also targeting doing a rebuild for Ryzen 3 (actually Ryzen 2 cause Ryzen 2 was really more like Ryzen 1.5)
Hopefully the next revision will be done by then. And I'm not gonna waste my time with a Chinese case when it ends up costing the same haha.

I don't remember what was quoted, but I thought it was around 50USD so about 80AUD.

Reactions: DrAwesome95

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up this little gem for $100, as a hold me over until the GTX 1650 ti drops.

HP OEM RX580 4GB card. Only RX580 (that I'm aware of) that will fit in the MI-6.

huddy

Caliper Novice
Aug 22, 2018
Nice find! Let us know what temperatures you get. Pending Navi/Zen2 release dates, I may decide to buy an MSI Aero 1060 6Gb or one of these and am curious how this fares in the case. I know the 1060 has slightly better idle/display/gaming/computer power draws, but would love to just use a single set of drivers.

Picked up this little gem for $100, as a hold me over until the GTX 1650 ti drops.

HP OEM RX580 4GB card. Only RX580 (that I'm aware of) that will fit in the MI-6.

Reactions: LeMoNH3aD

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's an 8gb version...
I don’t believe so. Or I never stumbled across one when searching at least. HP still uses these cards in their new SFF HP Pavilion Gaming workstations. Actually the one I purchased was a new pull from one of those OEM systems. Maybe HP will later come out with a 8GB version.

Reactions: Jello

DrAwesome95

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
Also @LeMoNH3aD , why do you see this as a hold over until the 1650 ti? Based on 1650 performance being below a RX570, wouldn't that be a bit of a downgrade?

Agreed, I think even the 1650ti will be on par with if not slightly less performance than the 580 4GB. I don't think it will have DDR6, which would probably make it interesting.

Either way, I'm yet to see someone swing a Vega Nano in the case. I wish AMD had followed up on that a bit better, I was really looking forward to fitting something other than a 1070 in it.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I was all hot for a Vega Nano until I saw the price at release. It also took a while for them to be available in Canada which was disappointing.

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
I too was stoked about the Vega Nano until I saw the price. Hopefully the RX 580 will hold it’s own for a while. If it’s on par with the 1650 ti it’s a hell of a win at $100. It may be the current best value to performance card for the MI-6.

Reactions: rfarmer and Jello

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

I've run across those on ebay before, $100 is a steal. Performance should be fine for 1080 gaming, it is too bad they don't have a 8GB version.

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Agreed, I think even the 1650ti will be on par with if not slightly less performance than the 580 4GB. I don't think it will have DDR6, which would probably make it interesting.

Either way, I'm yet to see someone swing a Vega Nano in the case. I wish AMD had followed up on that a bit better, I was really looking forward to fitting something other than a 1070 in it.
I have a Vega Nano. I'm still in the process of tuning it; but unless I frame limit it, it runs pretty toasty around 80 degrees or so on average

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Do you have the specs of the power button LED? I'd like to replace it with a different color. Thanks!
miklovin,
Sorry, been a bit busy and didn't get back to you. The LED is part of the push button switch, which is soldered to the board. I do not know the P/N of the switch. You could solder another switch on there, -it just has to be the same size, so the button cap will fit over it.

I have some extra boards. I could just send you one if you pay postage.
-Fire

thel3igo

Trash Compacter
Nov 4, 2018
Just got back from my semester abroad in Ecuador... oh man this case is absolutely beautiful. I love the thicker aluminum walls, this is a big step up from the SG05 that my build is currently stuck in. I am afraid things may get a bit hot with the new hardware I am gonna be putting in (GTX 1060 6GB SC -> GTX 1080, R5 1600X -> R7 1800X, 16GB 1666 -> 32GB 3200, 450W PSU -> 600W PSU), so I am gonna wait til the Summer for those lofts to come out to do a real benchmark (I have a 120mm radiator fan waiting to pull (or should it push?) some air through this thing, hopefully it'll help keep things cool). Current build is stuck at college, won't be able to go get it for about a week, so I'll post an update with how things go in ~10 days. You should be really proud of this case Fire! Great job!

Reactions: firewolfy

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

Great find! I'm jealous! I have a similar RX570 in my NODE 202 but to get the RX580....that's awesome. RX580 is on par with the 1060 or a little ahead in most benchmarks.

Reactions: LeMoNH3aD

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
There's one available on eBay in the USA right now, but the sellers asking price is about 2.5x what they normally sell for.

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
There's one available on eBay in the USA right now, but the sellers asking price is about 2.5x what they normally sell for.
Yeah I just lucked out. It was a brand new pull, the seller upgraded and just didn't need it. The eBay listing was originally BIN at $160, but they took my $100 shipped offer.

I have since threw it up on a test bench and benched it. It gets WARM but never throttles. Apparently the RX cards pegged all run in the high 70's and low 80's celsius. It's a pretty stout card for my needs and after using it for a while, I don't foresee needing to upgrade any time soon.

Reactions: Jello

thel3igo

Trash Compacter
Nov 4, 2018
Update: Finally was able to take a few days to get this thing built. I used rfarmer's technique for the CPU cooler with the 140mm slim fan mounted on the SBS2RB. I also crammed a standard sized 92mm fan into the bottom , and it does help with cable managment as it gives a larger surface that can help with cable routing. I haven't seen anyone do this yet but I used (read: abused) my SSD quickrelease mount as a... reel, I guess, to reduce cable length and overall keep the space above the bottom fan clear. Overall I am very happy with how this build is turning out. Here are some photos:

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
Update: Finally was able to take a few days to get this thing built. I used rfarmer's technique for the CPU cooler with the 140mm slim fan mounted on the SBS2RB. I also crammed a standard sized 92mm fan into the bottom , and it does help with cable managment as it gives a larger surface that can help with cable routing. I haven't seen anyone do this yet but I used (read: abused) my SSD quickrelease mount as a... reel, I guess, to reduce cable length and overall keep the space above the bottom fan clear. Overall I am very happy with how this build is turning out. Here are some photos:

That 2nd batch case looks so much easier to build in than the first batch. Really nice!

Reactions: thel3igo