Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
If the MB layout could be inverted so the riser passes between the psu & the MB, then it may be possible to create a cutout on top to mount a slim fan
Essentially the CPU/GPU chambers switch places

Interesting...but I love the look as it is now. I’ve said before: I’m impossible to please because I want the impossible. ^_~

Reactions: ignsvn and rfarmer

DrAwesome95

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
Gday fellas/ladies/apache helicopters
So I'm a bit late to the party but I'm Aussie so thats my excuse.

1) Is there going to be another batch in 2019? the site has been pretty dead for a while.
2) Can we PLEASE include a top 80/92mm fan mount. Either a notch in the MB tray or a 15mm height increase. <3 Fred

EDIT: did not read previous comments, but it seems alot of you are already asking for the top fan mount :)
Inverting the motherboard also seems a neat solution to get the riser out of the way, but it could cause some cable routing headaches.

PS: @firewolfy is it shipping to Australia a possibility\?

Last edited:
Reactions: renecop545

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
IIRC a top loft is one solution being considered so people can use top fan. Not only slim top fans, but thicc ones, as well as small AIO.

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
I dunno what people were talking about with the L12S not fitting in AMD systems, I've got mine over a Ryzen 1600 just fine.

My largest concern with the case after I initially bought it was cooling in the GPU chamber -- the Vega Nano is a hefty, power hungry boi, and it gets pretty damn hot in there. But I'm getting much better results after I cap my max FPS in the Radeon settings to 75Hz, so the card doesn't just keep pumping out frames I can't even use with my monitor and continue to get hotter.

Also still have some coil whine, but I'm not sure if that's due to the GPU or the PSU, and I know it could be from either after a bit of research. Regardless, I'm happy with my choice. It's a powerful system I can easily throw in my backpack, and I can't wait to see what I can throw in it with Zen2 around the corner.

Reactions: Jello

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I dunno what people were talking about with the L12S not fitting in AMD systems, I've got mine over a Ryzen 1600 just fine.

My largest concern with the case after I initially bought it was cooling in the GPU chamber -- the Vega Nano is a hefty, power hungry boi, and it gets pretty damn hot in there. But I'm getting much better results after I cap my max FPS in the Radeon settings to 75Hz, so the card doesn't just keep pumping out frames I can't even use with my monitor and continue to get hotter.

Also still have some coil whine, but I'm not sure if that's due to the GPU or the PSU, and I know it could be from either after a bit of research. Regardless, I'm happy with my choice. It's a powerful system I can easily throw in my backpack, and I can't wait to see what I can throw in it with Zen2 around the corner.

What PSU are you using?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
SF600 Gold. On desktop applications the noise is minimal, no louder than a normal fan, but anything as intensive as a video game or more gets it to start going.

That's too bad, I have used my SF600 Gold with 5 different video cards and never had any coil whine. I have been lucky with this one anyway not having a loud fan either.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
That is my main gripe about the NCASE M1... it's so easy to strip the screws holes (happened to both screw holes for my graphics card mount). I love the steel thread inserts in the CCD MI-6.

I currently have builds in the NCASE M1 (Ryzen 7 1800X -- but may be putting my i7-8700K system that's currently in a NZXT S340 Elite in there soon as I want to go minimalist for my main system), the CCD MI-6 (i5-8600K), and a Dan Case A4-SFX v2 (Ryzen 7 1700). Of the three, I like the CCD MI-6 the best as far as looks and portability. I take this system with me when I travel to visit my daughter in another state so that I can work remotely--I do finite element analysis work, and even a powerful laptop gets way too hot when performing an analysis that can run for several hours.

Here are my +/- for each of the cases:

NCASE M1
+ CPU cooler height (130 mm)
+ removable panels (I have a set of silver and a set of black that I can swap)
+ full length GPU
+ quiet-running (due to support for tower coolers and full length GPUs with more than one fan--even when on full load)
+ cable management (room to tuck away cables)
- screw holes are easy to strip (no steel thread inserts into the aluminum)
- removable panels (Yes, this is a minus also -- they come off too easy when picking up the system for transport.)
- fingerprint magnet (on the black panels)
- size (although the larger size allows for tower CPU coolers and large GPUs, it's not as easily transported as the other two)

DAN A4-SFX (v2)
+ size (easily fits in backpack)
+ screws to help hold side panels on (I'm not a fan of quick remove panels--I'm not afraid to use a screwdriver from time to time)
+ full length GPU
- CPU cooler height (48 mm) -- this really limits your CPU choice if you are air cooling (you can delid your CPU if you are so inclined to run a beefier CPU, or you can go the 92 mm AIO route)
- PCIe riser is mounted too high so taller GPUs with top power plugs are tough to deal with (makes it really tough to get the 6/8-pin power connectors to my MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X bent enough to attach the top of the case)
- cable management (tight space really makes custom length cables a must)
- fingerprint magnet (mine is black)

CCD MI-6 (1st batch, minimalist case with no USB/power on front)
+ size (easily fits in a backpack--has the smallest footprint of the three cases)
+ steel thread inserts (Yay! No stripping of threads)
+ powder coat finish (doesn't show finger prints easily, although can get a little scuffed when transporting in a backpack)
+ lid/sides attached with screws (everything stays on until you want it to come off)
+ GPU retention bracket on back (absolutely fantastic way of securing the GPU bracket--a single tool-less screw secures the bracket)
+ ventilation (good opening-to-metal ratio for better cooling)
+/- CPU cooler (65 mm) -- can fit a Noctua NH-L12 (with 92 mm fan only) -- without CPU delidding, you are still somewhat limited on how powerful a CPU you can adequately cool in this case. I'm running an i5-8600K with a -0.050 V offset and a NH-L12 (92 mm fan only), and my full load temperatures get to 78 to 79 C. I had to turn off the XMP profile of my 3000 MHz RAM and run it at 2133 MHz to keep my CPU temperatures below 85 C.
- Short GPUs (although some powerful GPUs are available in ITX form, options are somewhat limited)
- cable management (tight space really makes custom length cables a must--bunching cables have also kept me from utilizing the extra 2.5" drive mount)
- not quiet (On full load, the single-fan GPUs can get quite loud. If your CPU fan is on top of the heat sink and is close to the sides of the case, air turbulence can make a full load system pretty loud. The 92 mm fan being on the bottom of the NH-L12 helps with this, but can still be relatively loud.)

I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer air coolers over liquid cooling (especially for systems that I have to travel with--you won't be taking a liquid cooled system in a carry-on onto an airplane).
I'm curious why you listed stripped threads as an issue on the M1 but not the A4. Given that they're both made by Lian Li and use the same aluminum and screws, and AFAIK the A4 doesn't use threaded inserts anywhere, you'd expect to have the same problem.

In any case, this is something I'm addressing for M1 V6. It wasn't possible to add threaded standoffs to the PCI retaining flange itself, but I was able to work out a way to get them in using a separate piece. There are also standoffs added in a couple of other locations in the case.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
I'm curious why you listed stripped threads as an issue on the M1 but not the A4. Given that they're both made by Lian Li and use the same aluminum and screws, and AFAIK the A4 doesn't use threaded inserts anywhere, you'd expect to have the same problem.

In any case, this is something I'm addressing for M1 V6. It wasn't possible to add threaded standoffs to the PCI retaining flange itself, but I was able to work out a way to get them in using a separate piece. There are also standoffs added in a couple of other locations in the case.

You're right, I should have listed the possibility of stripped threads on the Dan A4-SFX as well. I guess I didn't think to since I haven't had any stripped on the Dan yet.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015

@Necere ,
Why don't you give a link to your thread where you discuss the threads.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
@Necere ,
Why don't you give a link to your thread where you discuss the threads.
I don't have a thread on that topic, nor do I think it's noteworthy enough to make a new one.

It wasn't my intent to derail, but as it was already being discussed here I didn't think it would be a problem to chime in. I guess it is though, so I apologize.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I don't have a thread on that topic, nor do I think it's noteworthy enough to make a new one.

It wasn't my intent to derail, but as it was already being discussed here I didn't think it would be a problem to chime in. I guess it is though, so I apologize.

Necere,
Thanks. The M1 is a great case and I have no problem with links to related topics, discussions and comparisons.

I am sometimes tempted to go to simpler aluminum threads, but I'm generally pretty happy with putting inserts everywhere. The shop I'm using does it as a bread-and-butter part of their sheet metal business, so the pricing isn't too bad.

-F

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

I don’t think it’s a derail but a natural progression. Glad you’re addressing the stripped threads though.

It’s also great to see you in other builds and cases!

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

Maybe it’s mainboard related? What mainboard are you running? Anyone else running a L12-S with Ryzen?

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Maybe it’s mainboard related? What mainboard are you running? Anyone else running a L12-S with Ryzen?
It's an Asus B450i. It's in contact with the side panel of the case, like you said yours was, but I'm having no major issues so far. Most of the heat comes through the top of the case, and my temps so far in 60-75Hz gaming is respectable at the 60 degree range at high-ultra settings.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
It's an Asus B450i. It's in contact with the side panel of the case, like you said yours was, but I'm having no major issues so far. Most of the heat comes through the top of the case, and my temps so far in 60-75Hz gaming is respectable at the 60 degree range at high-ultra settings.

Sounds about right. Are you running the fan as an intake or exhaust?

eastofnowhere

Cable Smoosher
Jun 25, 2017
Gday fellas/ladies/apache helicopters
So I'm a bit late to the party but I'm Aussie so thats my excuse.

1) Is there going to be another batch in 2019? the site has been pretty dead for a while.
2) Can we PLEASE include a top 80/92mm fan mount. Either a notch in the MB tray or a 15mm height increase. <3 Fred

EDIT: did not read previous comments, but it seems alot of you are already asking for the top fan mount :)
Inverting the motherboard also seems a neat solution to get the riser out of the way, but it could cause some cable routing headaches.

PS: @firewolfy is it shipping to Australia a possibility\?

I'm from Oz and I have the case from the first batch so no excuses for being late! The delivery fee was pretty good I reckon, from memory was only a little more than trying to express ship a bulky package from Melb to Brissy.

So how has my case holding up? Apart from being a little dusty, looks brand new. With a Ryzen 1700 CPU and a 1070, I don't feel a need for a top fan mount even while gaming. It gets warm but not the 'I can cook things' warm. I haven't needed to do surgery on it yet but have an eye on a CPU upgrade when the new AMDs comes out.

DrAwesome95

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
only a little more than trying to express ship a bulky package from Melb to Brissy.
May I ask how much that was?
Also targeting doing a rebuild for Ryzen 3 (actually Ryzen 2 cause Ryzen 2 was really more like Ryzen 1.5)
Hopefully the next revision will be done by then. And I'm not gonna waste my time with a Chinese case when it ends up costing the same haha.