Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I can't guarantee anything, but I noticed a slight trend where if you're on an Intel mobo, the L12S fits, but if you're on AMD it does not. Slight difference in CPU height, I could be off though.

Reactions: Revenant and Engr62

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Can anyone with this case measure the end-to-end width of the screw holes for the 2 SSD drives mounts on the front ??
Distance between the 2 pipes :)

|---|
.o
....o

.o
....o

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
My Inno3d RTX 2070 is incredibly loud and I am switching to a case that I can watercool it.

Thats sad! I managed to lower the GPU temperatures (and thus also noise) another 5°C by mounting a 100x100x15mm fan on my Gigabyte RTX 2070 and replacing the standard 90x90x10mm fan.

Last edited:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
@nicb6

I am very interested, but I can't find a 100mm ASUS fan on Amazon.

I did find 2 versions of their 95mm fan, a .25 amp version and a .30 amp. Which one would be compatible with the Gigabyte 2070 mini?

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
I bought this one: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=T129025SU&_sacat=0&_sop=15
It's confusing, sometimes the fan is labelled as 95mm fan and sometimes as 100mm. It's the original fan of various older GPUs, for example the HD7970. If you look up those older GPUs on the ASUS homepage, the fans are labelled as 100mm. My guess is that it is a 100mm fan without the frame, which results in approx. 95mm blade span, hence a "95mm" fan.

However, there is a drawback with this fan: the minimum speed of the fan seems to be around 1000rpm, which is not noisy but somewhat annoying that it won't stop spinning when in idle. For some reason, with the MSI Afterburner I'm not able to reduce the RPM below 1000...

Maybe there's a more suitable fan out there (check ebay and aliexpress...). Just make sure it has a 4pin connector so you can use the fan connector of the GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignsvn

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Frz,
Man, it's a pretty close fit. I'll see if I can get a NH-L12S before the nexst batch and do some fit trials.

For reference, I have an ASUS Z370 mainboard with an 8700 non-k. In my MI-6 (Serial number 010), I can fit the L12S. It touches the side panel but does not push it outward. The side panel essentially turns into part of the heatsink. I have the fan in a pull configuration; pulling cold air into the case. It helps with VRM cooling.

The top of the case gets VERY hot (uncomfortable to touch), but the components stay cool inside. An exhaust fan at the top would remedy this, and probably help pull air in through the cooler.

When I get my next MI-6...hopefully in white.... I'll probably run the same cooler setup. If you want to build an XL version of the case that is proportionally the same but a little wider, and taller that would be cool too. Or maybe an MATX version?

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
For reference, I have an ASUS Z370 mainboard with an 8700 non-k. In my MI-6 (Serial number 010), I can fit the L12S. It touches the side panel but does not push it outward. The side panel essentially turns into part of the heatsink. I have the fan in a pull configuration; pulling cold air into the case. It helps with VRM cooling.

The top of the case gets VERY hot (uncomfortable to touch), but the components stay cool inside. An exhaust fan at the top would remedy this, and probably help pull air in through the cooler.

When I get my next MI-6...hopefully in white.... I'll probably run the same cooler setup. If you want to build an XL version of the case that is proportionally the same but a little wider, and taller that would be cool too. Or maybe an MATX version?

If the MB layout could be inverted so the riser passes between the psu & the MB, then it may be possible to create a cutout on top to mount a slim fan
Essentially the CPU/GPU chambers switch places

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I plan to wedge 40mm fan somewhere as an exhaust to remove hot air faster.. I've got the fan but so far haven't got time to try it :p