Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
I didn't do a lot of testing but with stock voltage you should reach a GPU clock around 1900 to 1950mhz and with 0.862V I was able to get 1750mhz stable. So yeah around 150 to 200mhz lower GPU clock...but fortunately you can still overclock the memory clock even with the lower voltage. I happily accept this little loss of performance in favor of lower temps and noise.

Reactions: rfarmer

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
@firewolfy @rfarmer
Well reapplying the thermal paste yielded only about 2°C. But undervolting from stock 1.05V to 0.862V made a huge difference with around 13°C less! So in total 15°C cooler. But in fact, I still accept temps around 78-80°C, but the fan runs with 1000rpm less :)

Any idea what the temp change was with the same fan rpm?

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
Thats how I tested it...I fixed the fan at 60% rpm and the GPU clock at 1750mhz. Then I run the GPU-Z render test for 15min with 1.05V and with 0.862V. As I mentioned before I got 13°C lower temps with the same fan rpm.

Reactions: Jello

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
I tried to lower the temps of my GPU even more and removed the shroud and mounted a Scythe 120x120x12mm fan on it. Note this did NOT work, I had significantly higher temps with a lot more noise due to fan being close to the case opening:
https://ibb.co/g3V3PVK [/IMG]

Can't recommend doing this. ;)

Reactions: ignsvn

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I tried to lower the temps of my GPU even more and removed the shroud and mounted a Scythe 120x120x12mm fan on it. Note this did NOT work, I had significantly higher temps with a lot more noise due to fan being close to the case opening:
https://ibb.co/g3V3PVK [/IMG]

Can't recommend doing this. ;)

Shame it didn't work, but good to know.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
https://hardforum.com/threads/ccd-mi-6-performance-in-less-than-7l.1882784/page-34#post-1044092799

He successfully installed 4 x 2.5" drives.

I remember I had some discussions with @firewolfy about providing as many drive space as possible. Even then the general conclusion is that only 3 is possible at one time.

Somebody give this guy a medal LOL.

Yeah I saw that post, looks like he used the Ncase stacking brackets to add a second drive. I have 2 sets of those bracket but no real need to add anymore drive, but still a great idea for anyone need more.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yeah I saw that post, looks like he used the Ncase stacking brackets to add a second drive. I have 2 sets of those bracket but no real need to add anymore drive, but still a great idea for anyone need more.

Yup I'm thinking of somebody who need a kind of powerful NAS or media server, or hell some digital artists.. image, sound, video and game projects can grow quite big.

Edit: @firewolfy - with permission you probably can add his build log on the MI-6 thread front page over at [H] and here. You know, to let people know the unique potential of MI-6.

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Ok, I have pretty much finished the design and dimensioning of the lofts. Here are some renders of the lofts:

--This one with the textured black powdercoat of the MI-6 SE and the top plate brushed natural aluminum:

--This all textured black powdercoat.

And here are the 60mm lofts:

Since there are 3 different finishes on the MI-6 cases (FE - black brushed alum, FE - black PC, and SE had black textured PC), I'm working on how to get these lofts with finishes that will look good with all cases.

I'll be sending out an email to get opinions and preferences from all the current MI-6 owners.

-Fire

rahl07

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
What does the tophat get us? I must have missed it in the last 60 or so pages of info lol.

But reallistically, I think your horizontal plates on the "loft" would look best in just a gloss black powdercoat to contrast the rougher texture on the rest of the case. Naked aluminum is just a little too bright in the mockups you posted.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
What does the tophat get us? I must have missed it in the last 60 or so pages of info lol.

But reallistically, I think your horizontal plates on the "loft" would look best in just a gloss black powdercoat to contrast the rougher texture on the rest of the case. Naked aluminum is just a little too bright in the mockups you posted.

The shorter loft is designed for either 120x25mm or 2x92x25mm fans. The larger loft is for 120mm AIO.

Reactions: thel3igo

vn01587733

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 24, 2019
The shorter loft is designed for either 120x25mm or 2x92x25mm fans. The larger loft is for 120mm AIO.

I think slim fans will be better. It will not make the case so much taller than regular fans.
Or the Mi-6 case ver 3 should have room for slim fans on top.