Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Do realise that the closer a fan is to the vents, the more turbulence noise it will generate. I generally like to have at least 1 cm between the vents and a fan. If you're worried about recycling hot air, you could make a fan duct.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yes, x65; I got case #64, and guess it stuck hahaha. I have nicknamed my case MI-ntendo 64. If anyone has the minimal style case #64, I will trade for my #61 or #62 XD.

Thanks for the input! Will probably go for the safe option NH-L9x65 rather than worry about having to slightly bend the L12S.

I am guessing from your choices that you are going with AM4? If so remember that the Big Shuriken doesn't have AM4 mounting brackets.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@firewolfy
Received all of my beautiful cases on Wednesday, just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the extremely quick turnaround (I ordered the Ghost S1 through Kickstarter and it was quite the ride to say the least)!

Would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding choosing a cooler between:
Noctua L12S
Noctua NH-L9a
Noctua NH-L9x64 SE-AM4
Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B

I know the L12S technically is oversize, but seems to provide the best cooling.

Personally was thinking of going for the NH-L9x64 SE-AM4 as it would place the fan close to the vents, hopefully improving cooling by pulling air from the outside. Or maybe it would be more effective at pushing air out... :S

Thanks for the kind words.
I have run the L9-65 and the Shiriken. The Shiriken has a bit better cooling, but I like both of them. I have seen posts, 1 recently, where the L12S is used successfully.

picov

Chassis Packer
Oct 28, 2018
@firewolfy
Received all of my beautiful cases on Wednesday, just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the extremely quick turnaround (I ordered the Ghost S1 through Kickstarter and it was quite the ride to say the least)!

Would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding choosing a cooler between:
Noctua L12S
Noctua NH-L9a
Noctua NH-L9x64 SE-AM4
Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B

I know the L12S technically is oversize, but seems to provide the best cooling.

Personally was thinking of going for the NH-L9x64 SE-AM4 as it would place the fan close to the vents, hopefully improving cooling by pulling air from the outside. Or maybe it would be more effective at pushing air out... :S

If you plan to use a CPU above i7-8700 (even not K) probably your only options are Noctua L12S and (perhaps) BIG Shuriken 2 (read this https://tekeverything.com/intel-core-i7-8700-review-benchmarks/ )

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Right, I forgot to mention the disclaimer:

CPU cooler clearance area is officially 68mm.

Any CPU cooler taller than that is subject to your luck on production tollerance and is on case-by-case basis :)

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Waiting for my tracking number...

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Batch Update--
Shipping Started Jan 7.
As of Jan 14, 29 cases have shipped, 19 to go. All should be out by Jan 17, unfortunately ti's a few days later than planned.
Tracking info emailed automatically.

-Fire

Reactions: Jello and Prothea

picov

Chassis Packer
Oct 28, 2018
Right, I forgot to mention the disclaimer:
CPU cooler clearance area is officially 68mm.
Any CPU cooler taller than that is subject to your luck on production tollerance and is on case-by-case basis :)

@firewolfy
I think that the "official fit" of Noctua L12S (70mm) should be addressed in a next revision of the case. L12S is in fact an almost mandatory choice for any CPU above i7-8700 and is one of the best and quietest cooler on the market.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@firewolfy
I think that the "official fit" of Noctua L12S (70mm) should be addressed in a next revision of the case. L12S is in fact an almost mandatory choice for any CPU above i7-8700 and is one of the best and quietest cooler on the market.
Good point. I'll have to do some thinking on that idea.

Reactions: thel3igo

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Batch update--

Looks like finishing and shipping the last 19 cases will take a few more days. Got feedback from my fab shop that they need a few more days to remake some chassis'.

I found a problem last week with the bends on some chassis', and they have been re-making them from scratch. They targeted getting them to me by the start of this week, but the date has slipped. They are busy with higher-volume work, and my small batch has to wait sometimes.

I will update as I find out more

Reactions: Jello and thel3igo

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Well,
Somehow email alerts didn't happen for over 50% of the shipments. The USPS shipping website has been having problems, so maybe that was one of them. I sent out tracking numbers to everyone who is still waiting for delivery. Sorry about that guys, really stinks to wait and be in the dark.

Fred