Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Normally I would totally agree with you but I need to find a way to lower the temps on my new 2070 by 4 to 5C. Up to 80C fan runs at 2500 rpm is very quiet, once it gets above 80C fan immediately ramps up to 4300 rpm and turns into a jet turbine. Tried a custom fan profile but had no effect. I am hoping with a top exhaust fan I can keep the temps below 80C otherwise I am going to have to try a fan mod.

Oh that sounds bad. Yeah loft probably will help. I assume an exhaust fan can help removing hot air faster (FYI I'm still using the bottom 80mm fan to exhaust)

Since you had both, in general is RTX2070 hotter than GTX1070Ti, or is this simply because your RTX2070 "sticks" to the front panel?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Oh that sounds bad. Yeah loft probably will help. I assume an exhaust fan can help removing hot air faster (FYI I'm still using the bottom 80mm fan to exhaust)

Since you had both, in general is RTX2070 hotter than GTX1070Ti, or is this simply because your RTX2070 "sticks" to the front panel?

Temps seem to be the same as with my 1070, 82C max in benchmarks.

huddy

Caliper Novice
Aug 22, 2018
Excited to see cases shipping; I had hoped AMD would announce a concrete release date for Zen 2 at CES but alas, it's looking like a fall build for me. On the positive, Newegg had a $20 MIR on the Corsair SF450W gold yesterday (may still be there) so my power supply on the way also!

picov

Chassis Packer
Oct 28, 2018
Yeah the lack of high end mini AMD cards is disappointing, hopefully that turns around with this generation. I too have the upgrade itch, but since I'm looking to upgrade my monitor, my first choice is a 1440p ultradwide with Freesync, which would be the main deciding factor to switch to an AMD card.

Does the PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB HBM2-NANO Edition (https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1527477130) is the best mini/nano/SFF AMD card you can buy today?

Reactions: Jello

huddy

Caliper Novice
Aug 22, 2018
650W minimum power requirement?

*Fainted*

I would like to think that PSU requirement is a bit excessive in a SFF scenario if you are capping your CPU at a given TDP. It's probably spot on with a 9900K and system with a lot of Drives/memory/RGB. I'll take Navi or a 2050/1160 and ~75 GPU consumption

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm running mine with the sf450 psu...seems like it's been ok

It made me revisit the Vega 56 spec. Yeah seems that good 450W psu can run it, although a bit close to it's maximum capacity.

I wonder if this can be undervolted with the default Radeon software & BIOS, or you do you need special BIOS to do so?

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Don't think you need a special bios, should be like any other Vega card, some good software like MSI afterburner should allow for undervolting.

Reactions: ignsvn

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Great news Gigabyte RTX 2070 now available at Newegg, $499 too which is the lowest price currently for the 2070.

Edit: Damn you get Anthem and Battlefield V with purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: firewolfy

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@firewolfy
Were you able to send out all cases this week? :)
I suppose you can't provide a tracking number for each order?

Still working on assembling and shipping. I was hoping to get everything shipping by 1/14, but will probably run until 1/17.

Every order gets a tracking number and a USPS tracking email sent to the buyer.

vvv

Trash Compacter
Nov 1, 2018
@firewolfy
Received all of my beautiful cases on Wednesday, just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the extremely quick turnaround (I ordered the Ghost S1 through Kickstarter and it was quite the ride to say the least)!

Would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding choosing a cooler between:
Noctua L12S
Noctua NH-L9a
Noctua NH-L9x64 SE-AM4
Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B

I know the L12S technically is oversize, but seems to provide the best cooling.

Personally was thinking of going for the NH-L9x64 SE-AM4 as it would place the fan close to the vents, hopefully improving cooling by pulling air from the outside. Or maybe it would be more effective at pushing air out... :S

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@firewolfy
Received all of my beautiful cases on Wednesday, just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the extremely quick turnaround (I ordered the Ghost S1 through Kickstarter and it was quite the ride to say the least)!

Would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding choosing a cooler between:
Noctua L12S
Noctua NH-L9a
Noctua NH-L9x64 SE-AM4

I know the L12S technically is oversize, but seems to provide the best cooling.

Personally was thinking of going for the NH-L9x64 SE-AM4 as it would place the fan close to the vents, hopefully improving cooling by pulling air from the outside. Or maybe it would be more effective at pushing air out... :S

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with these, as in the temperature diff are minimum. Just get whichever is the cheapest & readily available:

Noctua L12S (Or non S)
Noctua NH-L9x64 (x65 you mean?)

vvv

Trash Compacter
Nov 1, 2018
Personally, I think you can't go wrong with these, as in the temperature diff are minimum. Just get whichever is the cheapest & readily available:

Noctua L12S (Or non S)
Noctua NH-L9x64 (x65 you mean?)

Yes, x65; I got case #64, and guess it stuck hahaha. I have nicknamed my case MI-ntendo 64. If anyone has the minimal style case #64, I will trade for my #61 or #62 XD.

Thanks for the input! Will probably go for the safe option NH-L9x65 rather than worry about having to slightly bend the L12S.