Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Anyone else feel conflicted about cpus and gpus right now?

GPU: ....thinking I can get by with my GTX 1070 and not spend (only) $500 on a 1080, since it seems to handle the games I play, --even though prices are dropping like crazy!
CPU: ....thinking I need a threadripper or an i9 but not sure why, --even though the prices are crazy the other way.

Oh wait, now I remember, so I can be competitive in the the performance-per-liter battle, lol

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

GPU: ....thinking I can get by with my GTX 1070 and not spend (only) $500 on a 1080, since it seems to handle the games I play, --even though prices are dropping like crazy!
CPU: ....thinking I need a threadripper or an i9 but not sure why, --even though the prices are crazy the other way.

Oh wait, now I remember, so I can be competitive in the the performance-per-liter battle, lol

Exactly Fire, I was hoping for a new GPU that would make me competitive in PPL. Hopefully the rumors are wrong but it is looking like the 20 series is going to be quite expensive and the TDP is very high. So any itx cards that do show up will potentially be difficult to keep cool. I was really hoping they would pull the same trick they did with Pascal and we would get a RTX 2070 with the same performance as the 1070 at about 150 watt.

I need to resist the temptation to move to the 9900k, especially with it being compatible with my z370 motherboard. I have a feeling the price is going to be high and the performance increase not enough to justify the upgrade. Time will tell.

Edit: Well looks like I could be wrong, reading this article from Wccftech it looks like the 2070 could have a 40% increase in performance over the 1070, 180w and is predicted to be priced at $300-$500. Now if they can manage that performance increase for under $500 I will probably upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Well a 1080 is 20% or so faster at 180w tdp. So if the 2070 pulls off 40% for 180w then may be worth it. Really thinking that the 20Xx are not going to be that much more efficient. They are a different animal than Pascal. A lot of compute DNA like Vega. Clocks are reporting in around 1200-1550 boost. That tells me that efficiency goes out the window when clocks are ramped up. Fun to speculate but we shall see soon! Eagerly waiting to see how it shakes out.

Bonk

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2018
One question about the natural aluminum top plate: could I powdercoat it later, or is that difficult to do with this surface (Sorry if it is a stupid question, never did this before).

Would it be possible to order 2 top plates with one case, one each color?

(Very happy to have placed the order for one of the cases we’re getting, but having a hard time deciding color for the second )

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016

Similar boat. My R7 1700 is more than powerful enough for my needs, and my 1070 is great for gaming at 1080p, but new hardware is always nice lol. Only change I'd make is to go for an itx AMD gpu, but options are limited while keeping performance similar to my 1070, so I'll wait.

Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yeah it is too bad the PowerColor RX 56 Nano is so hard to come by, would be a great GPU for the MI-6.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
One question about the natural aluminum top plate: could I powdercoat it later, or is that difficult to do with this surface (Sorry if it is a stupid question, never did this before).

Would it be possible to order 2 top plates with one case, one each color?

(Very happy to have placed the order for one of the cases we’re getting, but having a hard time deciding color for the second )

@Bonk,
I don't have the top plate alone as a item to purchase on the webpage, but if you want an extra with the other finish we can work it out with a simple invoice. The top plate would be $22 -- It is one of the pricier parts of the case, unfortunately. Just email me if you want to get this.

Reactions: Bonk

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
I feel you guys. With my actual Lian Li Q21B a GTX 1060 is the maximum that can fit in the case and for my 1440p monitor I could really use some extra GPU power...Any infos about the release date of the first mini / ITX versions of the new nvidia GPUs?

btw. I just ordered a case as well :)

Reactions: Jello

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
I ordered mine yesterday, I'm looking forward to downsizeing from my Node 202. This will be much more portable for me to grab and go!

My next dilemma is the CPU cooler, I'm looking to upsize from the L9a but there aren't that many great AM4 options on the market, or some of the options are pretty obscure and I can't find too much information about them.

Reactions: Bonk

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I ordered mine yesterday, I'm looking forward to downsizeing from my Node 202. This will be much more portable for me to grab and go!

My next dilemma is the CPU cooler, I'm looking to upsize from the L9a but there aren't that many great AM4 options on the market, or some of the options are pretty obscure and I can't find too much information about them.

Even though it is officially too tall at 70mm a couple different users have fit Noctua NH-L12S in the MI-6. Probably your best bet for AM4.

galletabah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
anyone selling his case on europe?
Im was waiting to dan c4 sfx, but I just discover this case and is awesome.
I want it but shipping is like 50€ and customs can be another 100€ easily. And I want it in white and black top cover. sooo. more than 300€ of the case is not cheap.

@firewolfy can you pm? I want to propose a thing!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I'm trying to get a bit creative on the webpage. I think it looks better, but I need some feedback. Thx.

Reactions: ignsvn

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I went to the site today to show a guy I work with my case, I thought wow Fire has made some changes. Thought it looked really good. :thumb:

chriskjr

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2018
I like that it is more vertically inclined, keeping an even smaller desktop footprint. Nice looking case!

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
Just finished swapping out an EVGA Stinger Z270 and swapping in an ASUS Maximus Impact VIII. No longer need a USB 3.0 extension to fit in the MI-6! The little ball o' cables (PSU) is still in the same spot (don't see anything really letting me get rid of it).

Reactions: firewolfy