Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Good News Everyone! I dropped my temps 10-20c!

Tonight I swapped out my Noctua NH-L12 for the Noctua NH-L12S. For those that don’t know, the L12 uses a 92mm fan underneath it to cool the CPU, while the L12S uses a thin 120mm fan. The L12S is technically out of spec for this case by a few mm, but does fit. It does touch the case side.

Both coolers had the fans in a pull config; pulling air in from outside the case.

My CPU is an i7-8700 non-k. At stock it’s a 65 watt TDP CPU. However, at stock settings it will clock down pretty hard in Blender and Prime 95 AVX. As such, I set the long term TDP to 110 watts. This locks it in at 4,3ghz on all 6 cores.

To compensate for the increased heat, I undervolt the CPU. I set the BIOS to adaptive VCORE at a -0.110. This is Prime 95 AVX stable 24-7.

My temps with the L12 were in the mid 90C range in Prime and Blender. With the L12S I’m now in the mid 80s in Prime and Blender. Gaming in BF1 got the biggest drop of nearly 20C. I believe that this is because the side of the case is now essentially part of the heatsink, and the larger fanmoving more air. The side of the case now gets quite warm where as before it was cool.

Additionally, the CPU fan now blows directly onto the M2 socket which dropped its temps by 15-20C.

Overall, the L12S just rocks for this case.

Nice improvement and it is nice to know that the NH-L12S does fit. I would have gone with one but didn't think I had the clearance.

Reactions: Weredawg and Bonk

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
Hey Fire, I'm going to send you a PM but just wanted to check here that you're okay with me using images of your case in my thread.

I do still plan on using your case as the basis for my project if possible, but I'll remove my references to it if you'd prefer that I do.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hey Fire, I'm going to send you a PM but just wanted to check here that you're okay with me using images of your case in my thread.

I do still plan on using your case as the basis for my project if possible, but I'll remove my references to it if you'd prefer that I do.

No problem, bro. If it helps you come up with ideas, I'm all for it.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thought I would let everyone know that @Thehack has an online store which sells parts for low profile coolers, one of those parts is a Yates Loon 92mm slim black fan with sleeved cables. I just ordered one for my MI-6, should look much better than the brown ID-Cooling one.

Thanks @Thehack :thumb:

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thought I would let everyone know that @Thehack has an online store which sells parts for low profile coolers, one of those products is a Yates Loon 92mm slim black fan with sleeved cables. I just ordered one for my MI-6, should look much better than the brown ID-Cooling one.

Thanks @Thehack :thumb:

Oh hey! Just saw your order. It'll be shipped out tomorrow. Thanks for shopping.

Keep in mind, the cable is short which should not be a problem, but let me know if it doesn't work out.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Oh hey! Just saw your order. It'll be shipped out tomorrow. Thanks for shopping.

Keep in mind, the cable is short which should not be a problem, but let me know if it doesn't work out.

The way this case is designed the fans is only 2.5" from the fan headers, I have a sleeved extension cable if I really need it. Thanks for the quick shipping.

Reactions: Thehack

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
Is it possible to convert a 1st generation MI6 with the loft so that I can have a Mini-ITX Volkswagen Vanagon too?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Is it possible to convert a 1st generation MI6 with the loft so that I can have a Mini-ITX Volkswagen Vanagon too?

You will be able to attach either size loft to either fe or se case. The first edition just doesn't have a cutout for aio tubing, so you'd need to do a cusrom loop in that case.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Got the Yate Loon 92mm slim fan from @Thehack shop installed, as you can see the black looks much better in the MI-6. Has a nice sleeved cable which is 150mm in length which is plenty as long as your fan headers are at the top, or I should say bottom in the MI-6, of your motherboard. Fan is non PWM but my Gigabyte has voltage control that works just fine. Max speed is 2600 rpm and as you would expect is quite noisy, mine idles at 1670 rpm and is very quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boil and Jello

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Got the Yate Loon 92mm slim fan from @Thehack shop installed, as you can see the black looks much better in the MI-6. Has a nice sleeved cable which is 150mm in length which is plenty as long as your fan headers are at the top, or I should say bottom in the MI-6, of your motherboard. Fan is non PWM but my Gigabyte has voltage control that works just fine. Max speed is 2600 rpm and as you would expect is quite noisy, mine idles at 1670 rpm and is very quiet.

Glad to see it make it. Sorry about the wait.

It looks nice and stealthy there!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015

@rfarmer,
Very nice. Did you use any fan spacers? It looks like the fan is up off the floor there just a bit.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
How close are we to getting the second production run going?

@Jello
Well, funny you should ask. I put this up on the webpage Thursday night:

As of August 16, there are only 10 pre-order openings left for the next batch, so we are getting close! Pre-ordering will be open until we reach 100. The target is still August to start taking payments and kick off production.
So we be close

-Fire

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@Jello
Well, funny you should ask. I put this up on the webpage Thursday night:

As of August 16, there are only 10 pre-order openings left for the next batch, so we are getting close! Pre-ordering will be open until we reach 100. The target is still August to start taking payments and kick off production.
So we be close

-Fire

Good news Fire, glad the production run is going so well. :thumb: