The Learning Japanese thread

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
Actually I think the loan words are where the legacy of the Rangaku that Aiboh mentioned can be seen visibly, as I read that words such as pinto (=focus) and supoito (=dropper) that we commonly use in Japanese came from Dutch.

Last edited:

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
I'm also somewhat curious if the "obsession" with Germany in a lot of Anime stems from WW2 or if it goes even further back. It comes up in so many anime, both populair shows and the regular shows.
As I don't watch anime I'm not familiar with the obsession you're talking about, but if it really stemmed from WWII then wouldn't there be obsession with Italy as well? I can't speak for all the Japanese people but maybe a lot of us here have traditionally associated Germany with hi-tech and have a special respect towards them. I'm sure USA and GB have had equally significant if not more impact on Japan in the westernization/industrialization process but somehow many of us have also formed this stereotype that Germans are more serious people and that somehow helped bolster our view of them having strong affinity to technology.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Today I successfully went across the first group of Hiragana, writing & reading, without hesitation (a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko).

Acquired fundamental hiraganas: 10/46

There're the variations then ...
  • The 25 dakuon
  • The 36 yôon
... and then the Katakana :confused: ... And finally the 2000+ Kanji :\

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
I imagine katakana would be easier to learn than hiragana due to the random curved strokes hiraganas are made of?
Kanji...well...blame the ancient Chinese for making so many characters and blame also the ancient Japanese for adopting so many of them. ;)

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Awesome Apps on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mindtwisted.kanjistudy

Features:
  • Flash card memorization
  • Multiple choices quizzes
  • Character drawing practice
  • Kanji and Kana
  • Daily goals (10mn a day)
  • Etc.
The free app is so great in itself that I bought the 7.99€ upgrade.

Else, I memorised the 2nd group of Hiraganas.

Acquired Hiraganas: 21/48
  1. あいうえおかきくけこ
  2. さしすせそたちつてと

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Acquired Hiraganas: 25/48
  1. あいうえおかきくけこ
  2. さしすせそたちつてと
  3. なにぬねの
Acquired Dakuons: 15
  1. がぎぐげご
  2. ざじずぜぞだぢむでど
Edit: The android app I mentioned on my previous post really boosted my learning.

The flashcard coupled to the stroke drawing are efficient ... Well, below 3s per card is nightmare, so I disabled timeout for my current level of knowledge.

Last edited:

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
I'm not sure yet whether I'll learn kanji or stop to kana. Kanas alone require daily work and commitment. As a padawan, Courage lack I might XD

If you really want to write/read Japanese, you have to learn Kanji. Newspapers, street signs, and even restaurant menus are in Kanji. Since I can speak well with a good accent, I got around by asking people. Btw, Japanese people are very nice and helpful.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
If you really want to write/read Japanese, you have to learn Kanji. Newspapers, street signs, and even restaurant menus are in Kanji. Since I can speak well with a good accent, I got around by asking people. Btw, Japanese people are very nice and helpful.

I allocate 20-30 minutes a day to Japanese, to write Kanas multiples times while pronouncing them:
  • 10 minutes in the morning.
  • 10 minutes before going to bed.
The last one is the most important one IMHO.

I have a great book for Kanji, advised by a friend who took Japanese at university.

Kanji to Kana:

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
I allocate 20-30 minutes a day to Japanese, to write Kanas multiples times while pronouncing them:
  • 10 minutes in the morning.
  • 10 minutes before going to bed.
The last one is the most important one IMHO.

I have a great book for Kanji, advised by a friend who took Japanese at university.

Kanji to Kana:

That's great. I was too busy with work while living in Japan, therefore couldn't get any time to learn Kanji. May be next time.

Tatari

Efficiency Noob
Jul 23, 2016
I find that a good way (in my experience anyway) to learn kana/kanji is to read things (in addition to getting foundations down by rote learning). Children's stories or simpler things, and without the romaji/furigana so you get used to it, referring to the reading only when you're stuck. It sort of reinforces your memory too by association to words.

Well of course, the most important of all is to keep at it.

がんばってね!