The Infographic/Data Visualization Thread

Don't want to clog up server space, so: Interested in this thread?

• Not really...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, aboslutely!

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Couldn't care either way.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Since we have so much access to useful information, and I love to learn or observe something new as often as possible - I have a child-like fascination with infographics. Personally, I think they are a fantastic way to combine information-density with design, layout and efficiency (see the theme?) Forgive me in advance for looking at things through my GIS/cartographer lens.

So - let me kick it off! This is Cosmic Journeys (by Sean McNaughton, Samuel Velasco, 5W Infographics, Matthew Twombly and Jane Vessels, NGM (National Geographic Magazine) staff, Amanda Hobbs).

Exploration missions to space are being mapped here. The spatial element of the map is present but not the most fundamental element. A simple 1 for 1 ratio is used as each line to concentric circle represents one mission. The interesting information is the amount of trips to specific bodies, the nations associated with the mission, the success or failure, and the type of excursion.

From a design perspective the map is very attractive and easy to quickly get the crucial information. The quantitative elements are immediately clear due to the use of lines not as proportional symbols but as cumulative structures around the specified bodies. The creatively placed scale also being used as a rectangular inset map is a particularly interesting touch. The use of color, although well constrained within the line structures are far too numerous in use to be easy to discern and breaks the rule of 'fewer is better.' The partitioning of the inner solar system to deep space is also helpful however could use some refining to draw the readers attention to the thrust of the maps intentions instead of an immediate dosing of lots of information which could be overwhelming to some. Everything else like typography, spacing, and shape is straightforward and well adjusted for the thematic purpose of the map.

Original image here. And also embedded. I am new to the SFF method for embedding media and images and so any pointers help. I have Flickr and Dropbox, but it doesn't look like SFF Forum supports the latter.

Please share!

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
IMGUR is the go to image host, with Youtube for videos. XenForo seems to handle both with ease. Just paste the link and it's autoconverted for albums, for images I always manually add the IMG tags.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Kmpkt

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
IMGUR is the go to image host, with Youtube for videos. XenForo seems to handle both with ease. Just paste the link and it's autoconverted for albums, for images I always manually add the IMG tags.

Thanks for letting me know!

Reactions: Ceros_X

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Can't have an infographic thread without this. It shows the Napoleon's trail to conquer russia.

Explanation video:

Reactions: Soul_Est and bledha

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Can't have an infographic thread without this. It shows the Napoleon's trail to conquer russia.

Explanation video:

This is quite a famous one! Very interesting design elements, and wonderful simplicity. I just saw an article on NatGeo now about him, and some other designs of his. Check them out here. Some really cool stuff came out of Charles Minard.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Let’s say this is a living infographic.

One of my absolute favorite global simulators is the EarthWindMap . This is a visualization of simulated wind patterns globally that update every few hours. The map is not limited to wind, however, it can also show (through data and simulation) ocean currents (sea surface), atmospheric particulate matter, and more. A very interesting tool. It is also beautiful.

Reactions: confusis and Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Earth.nullschool.net is a daily visit for me - living in the clutches of the Pacific Ocean, it's important to keep ahead of the weather. In fact, there's a high chance the cyclone near Tonga/Fiji right now will end up hitting my area.

Reactions: bledha

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Earth.nullschool.net is a daily visit for me - living in the clutches of the Pacific Ocean, it's important to keep ahead of the weather. In fact, there's a high chance the cyclone near Tonga/Fiji right now will end up hitting my area.

Wow! What an amazing resource, thanks for sharing that John.
Just took a look at what's going on in the NOrth Atlantic on that page, as it's pretty windy this week - just a bit of red out there.
I then scrolled to North of you, and that red cyclone looks menacing even on that simulation map :eek:
I hope it stays away from you in NZ

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Just took a look at what's going on in the NOrth Atlantic on that page, as it's pretty windy this week - just a bit of red out there.
I then scrolled to North of you, and that red cyclone looks menacing even on that simulation map :eek:

@bledha mentioned it first!

Very good chance that red cyclone will hit us, but we'll be fine :)

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017

You may also notice that what is going on in the North Atlantic has been going on for some time, and that is because we are in a specific phase of the North Atlantic Oscillation. This really represents a number of converging meteorological phenomena, leading to that large and seemingly never ending cyclonic activity off the east coast of Greenland and surrounding poor Iceland. More information on the NAO can be found here, and how it affects the weather in the Atlantic. Data for its index value can be found as tracked by NOAA here.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
@bledha. Thank YOU for posting it, I have been enthralled ever since it appeared on my PC.
Thank also for your additional info on the North Atlantic activity - I'll look into that further.
We seem to have had an extended period of gales in the UK and a more disturbed winter than I recall of late.