Production The First - Monsterlabo High Performance SFF case & Fanless CPU / GPU

ckychris

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2018
Built my FIRST with 1700/1070/nj520 today. Spent about 7 hours for it.

The packaging and branding design are well done. Case received no damage.

Now, the case.

Build quality: Excellent, thick and study panel, paint and finishes are excellent.

Tools: Screws can be stronger, but overall quality is above average, excellent custom metal parts.

Value: Such a large heat sink and polished case with custom parts, definitely having a very good value especially with low production volume.

Build difficulty: Quite difficult as expected. Not recommend for any beginners, build process are within tolerance. As a first product, it has some use cases and combinations not covered well
  • Part of the VRM heat sink interferes with motherboard if positioned middle, tilting to left required (Lazy me removed it)
  • Support for ATX PSU is limited, often space restricted on cable, positions. (It pushed my GPU a little really)
  • Copper pipes movement are very unpredictable, margin towards case cover too narrow, pressure can form from both inside and outside causing long term usage concern with stress on PCBs.
These problems can be improved and fixed very easily, in it's nature the design is considered well done.

Build log:

Warning about waiting for instructions? I eat Ikea for breakfast!
Happy un-boxing, taking photos.
See! All the tools and screws! Not that bad.
Try to solve a mixed rubik's cube, failed.
Open inside and see heat sink in person, wow.
Try to align GPU and Motherboard. Try to align GPU and Motherboard. Try to align GPU and Motherboard? Try to align GPU and Motherboard! Try to align GPU and Motherboard ... Try to align GPU and Motherboard ...
Ops, this doesn't fit, reversing steps.
USB3 connectors are worst than 12v power and at 90 degrees turn. Go in. Go in! Get in USB 3 connectors!
Ops, this doesn't fit, reversing steps.
Hdmi instead of DP, huh.
Ops, missing back panel before plugging in mouse and keyboard, reversing steps.
Good bye noctua fans!
Benchmark, system idle at ~C42, G49 max out at ~C80, G77
Solved nj520 coil whine by disabled HDAUDIO.
Done.
Happy days!

Thank you guys again for bringing us such as amazing case! Monsterlabo team.

Chris

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@ckychris,

Many thanks for your feedback ! I hope you will enjoy it and make it evolve.
If you have any ideas or any needs please let us know.

Regarding your pictures, maybe a DP cable would be usefull for you ? ;) & a USB for the back ?
We will shoot final video for the first "commercial build" tonight. I hope it will help customer to feel all the assemblies steps.

Waiting for your pictures about rubik's solution !!

ckychris

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2018
@ckychris,

Many thanks for your feedback ! I hope you will enjoy it and make it evolve.
If you have any ideas or any needs please let us know.

Regarding your pictures, maybe a DP cable would be usefull for you ? ;) & a USB for the back ?
We will shoot final video for the first "commercial build" tonight. I hope it will help customer to feel all the assemblies steps.

Waiting for your pictures about rubik's solution !!

2 USB cables will be useful. Don’t think anyone can fit hdmi/DP cable in that area tho, unless that board has audio block removed?

Cool whine starts getting annoying when there is no fan noise, is there a way to block them without compromising performance?

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@ckychris

We are thinking having different designs for the back panel to fit any needs. An exemple of other configuration with power switch on the back.

This could be easily 3D print to allow customer do what they want.
If you are using the bottom position you should be able to mount it. I did it on my setup.
Please send me a message @monsterlabo for the cables if needed.

What is the component making coil whine ? Indeed any other noise is hearable when you have no fan at all.

ckychris

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2018
@yeahe-ml @monsterlabo

Thanks for following up. As you can see, the top slot is blocked by the motherboard. If you have a full size Display port cable that fits under the bottom 3 slots, I am happy to make this build complete. Think you can spare DP x 1, USB x2? my email is ezreal223@gmail.com

Just the usual component making coil whine. CPU VRM, GPU VRM and CPU socket base. I fixed PSU's coil whine by turning off C-states. Now it inaudible unless I lean forward and listen around the top of the case.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Update:
50% has been shipped regarding B1 & some of B2.
A dozen today taken by DHL !

Elisa is still working on the video. Sorry for the time needed ! But she has not seen the light for days ;)

Reactions: robbee

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello, for who interested we are selling our pre-prod samples to make some space.
We had some of them that was used to validate the design but also some that has never been used.

• Same performance - V3 cooling (production version)
  • Back panel fixture holes not made (DIY friendly) / will be provided.
  • Standard top grid or advanced grid (prototype)
  • Mechanical structure not painted
  • Aesthetical V2 in white only + stainless steel
    V3 modification possible -> DIY
    Panel skin support possible
  • Leadtime 7 days+
  • Others characteristics are same than production version.
  • special price :)
Interested ? Contact us directly at "nicolas [at] monsterlabo [dot] com"

cptarrr

Efficiency Noob
Feb 16, 2019
i'm building my ML right now and i've got a little problem.. i'm running my build with a 8700k and a Zotac 1080Ti Mini. That's the reason why i would use the fan but if i am using it i can't mount the power-supply (ATX Seasonic Focus Gold) because the fan and the frame 4 the fan take all the space (about 2.5cm) which i need for my power-supply :(

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
i'm building my ML right now and i've got a little problem.. i'm running my build with a 8700k and a Zotac 1080Ti Mini. That's the reason why i would use the fan but if i am using it i can't mount the power-supply (ATX Seasonic Focus Gold) because the fan and the frame 4 the fan take all the space (about 2.5cm) which i need for my power-supply :(

Indeed, ATX power supply and fan slot are not compatible (yet). It is mentioned in our FAQ but it seems you didn't noticed this topic... Sorry about that!
In the same time, we are thinking of a solution with an additional part, quite similar than the one used for SFX format already mounted into The First. Here first draw of this part:

For now, different solutions are possible:
- you can mount your PSU horizontaly (not really aesthetic when you have a look at the back of the case). This should allow the mounting of the fan slot into the case
- do not mount all aesthetics skins to allow more airflow into the case as long as the top fan option is not released (we are working on it, doing our best to propose it very soon)
- place the fan on the top skin as long as the top fan is not released yet (not really aesthetic but will do the job)

Please, come back to us with your feedback and pictures.

cptarrr

Efficiency Noob
Feb 16, 2019
Indeed, ATX power supply and fan slot are not compatible (yet). It is mentioned in our FAQ but it seems you didn't noticed this topic... Sorry about that!

yeah you updated the FAQ about a month after i bought the case and read all the compatibility-lists etc. :D that's the reason why i thought ATX with a fan would be possible^^ anyway i'll get a new SFX or SFX-L PSU. In the meantime i let the lowest part of the case open and the PSU outside, so i can use my PC to make you a compliment for your really awesome case (now it's super silent in here and i can literally hear the grass grow outside).

Is it normal, that you have to bend the cooler while mounting that much? otherwise the motherboard wouldn't fit in the case. Also on your pictures and videos the board looks really straight mounted on the cooler but in my case (haha) it's crooked as hell.

I will post pictures of that tomorrow.

Last edited: