Production The First - Monsterlabo High Performance SFF case & Fanless CPU / GPU

dudeperm87

Caliper Novice
Mar 10, 2019
I think monsterlabo has a moral obligation to give the beast to the backers of the old Kickstarter campaign (fanlessfan.com) for free!

their wages were paid by that blood money ?

bbalex

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2018
@dudeperm87, I'm one of the Kickstarter supporters and I don't agree with you. When you take part in a Kickstarter campaign, you have to be fully aware that it might fail, and sadly it did so. Not because they did not try to manufacture a case, but they were overly optimistic back then on how easy it was going to be to do it.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hi @dudeperm87 ,
If it would be possible, we would definitely do that or help the backers to get one at discount price.
But honestly, after more than 3 years, do you still think that it's an engineering problem ? Really ?
An employee is not responsible of the strategy, business and what is done with the cash.
It's why we are our own boss now...

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any question. We always answer !

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
Btw,
The Beast looks great. But it is on a big side, is there any plan to revisit the first for better cooling in relatively compact chassis after the beast will in active production?

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Nice pictures, thanks !

Btw,
The Beast looks great. But it is on a big side, is there any plan to revisit the first for better cooling in relatively compact chassis after the beast will in active production?

Sure if we are still alive !!
We have some ideas to a gen 2 we more HP, more Fins, more spreader, upside down, no back panel ..... :)
Now we need to do a good work on The Beast and try to sell enough to start working fulltime. This will help the dev.
Also we have still enough The First on stock for the year.

Anyway, a new video about The First

A new video about The Beast

Reactions: REVOCCASES

MaxusValtron

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 24, 2020
Hey all, I've got a question about The First.

TLDR: how much do the thermal limits change with more airflow?

With a top and bottom fan running well outside the realm of "silent" (like, say, a Noctua Industrial-ppc 140mm fan running at full blast) will the thermal headroom increase? Or is there a some other limit that the heat pipes hit at 200W where no amount of airflow can help.

For context: I love the design of The First. I've been looking all over for a SFF tower type case and there's honestly not a lot of great options out there. Things like the Phanteks Evolv Shift or NZXT H1 get bad reviews for their thermals, and the Sliger SV590 just isn't my favorite for design, but The First is amazing.

I love the concept of making the PC case itself into the majority of the heatsink for your build, but honestly I'm not really as concerned with the "fanless and silent" aspect of The First. (I obviously care about sound a little bit, but I've currently got a Vega 56 blower card in a Zaber Sentry so I'm sort of used to its ear-splitting 4000rpm jet engine) Instead, I dream of a the heatsink being the heart of giant pillar of air cooling my PC to glory!

It seems to me that with a heat sink that substantial though, you should be able to get some amazing performance with the right fans. With the 200mm add on fan on top, and a hefty fan on the bottom, I'd think that cooling could be quite good. I saw on thingiverse there's even a design for a 200mm fan mount on the bottom, or saw the other person on this thread that built a wooden base that housed a fan. And I've seen the mods of adding in small 40mm noctua fans that blow constantly over the VRMs that work well too to solve some of those issues.

I've currently got a liquid metal-delidded 8700K and someday I'd like to put something like a 6800XT in The First, but I'm just not sure enough of the design of it to know if that's feasible even if I abandon any notion of a "silent" PC. Hopefully somewhere here (or someone from Monsterlabo themselves!) can chime in!

Thanks for reading all that!

SwedishDeathLlama

Case Bender
New User
Dec 1, 2020
6800XT has a 300W TDP which makes me think no way in The First, which has a listed limit of 160W TDP for the GPU with 1 fan up top. I don't think 1 more fan of any size is going to add 140W of cooling capacity.

However with 2 fans up top and 2 fans down bottom in The Beast the TDP limit for GPU is theoretically going to be 320W. It might work in that case.

Anyway, I say that fans are the devil! I'm targeting a fanless setup in The Beast with an RX 6800 (250W TDP). Fingers crossed! My outstanding question is whether or not I'll be able to use liquid metal on the heatsinks to save a degree. Originally they were going to be plain copper so liquid metal was a no go, but now I'm not sure with this finish they announced will be used on the copper. It's not nickel though, so I bet it's still a no on the liquid metal.

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
6800XT has a 300W TDP which makes me think no way in The First, which has a listed limit of 160W TDP for the GPU with 1 fan up top. I don't think 1 more fan of any size is going to add 140W of cooling capacity.

However with 2 fans up top and 2 fans down bottom in The Beast the TDP limit for GPU is theoretically going to be 320W. It might work in that case.

Anyway, I say that fans are the devil! I'm targeting a fanless setup in The Beast with an RX 6800 (250W TDP). Fingers crossed! My outstanding question is whether or not I'll be able to use liquid metal on the heatsinks to save a degree. Originally they were going to be plain copper so liquid metal was a no go, but now I'm not sure with this finish they announced will be used on the copper. It's not nickel though, so I bet it's still a no on the liquid metal.
There is no issue except visual for while using LM with copper:
GN test

I use LM in my laptops for years now

SwedishDeathLlama

Case Bender
New User
Dec 1, 2020
Haha well I know, thermally. But I don't like it pitting my heatsink! Especially on something like The Beast's heatsink. Maybe I need to get over it if I want a passively-cooled RX 6800 :D

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@MaxusValtron
Nord1ing said it right ! The maximum power that can transport the heatpipes of The First are 180W for GPU...
But this is the load inside the pipe itself.
Some of our customers has achieved to go to 220W by using both 140mm Fan & 200mm Fan (500RPM) and machined VRM heatsink.
By the way, he is the First to put a 3070 into The First ! Even before us ;)

@SwedishDeathLlama
I'm not sure I would recommend to put liquid metal grease also... but what I can say is that if you have any troubles or aspect default you can still sand a littile bit the copper. We have some (quite important) thickness, don't worry ;)
Regarding GPU and what I tested this can remove around 4/5 degrees on the chip. Is it worth ? I can't say but regarding GPU performance, maybe it's better to decrease the power output for some watts.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello guys,
I don't know if there is still somebody active here for The First topic.
We are making some place for the reception of The Beast, our second product.

I have one PC The First "pre prod" version for free.
The case is in pretty good condition and will be delivered complete with cooling & fixtures etc ...
Shipping is free in EU.
Please let me know who is really interested and have already electronics to do the build.
Just a message here: "nicolas @ monsterlabo . com"

BR,

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
I have also:
- Red Ferrari
- Green Apple
- taupe grey

They a really nice and available at B grade price

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello guys,
I don't know if there is still somebody active here for The First topic.
We are making some place for the reception of The Beast, our second product.

I have one PC The First "pre prod" version for free.
The case is in pretty good condition and will be delivered complete with cooling & fixtures etc ...
Shipping is free in EU.
Please let me know who is really interested and have already electronics to do the build.
Just a message here: "nicolas @ monsterlabo . com"

BR,

Still avaialble today