The Dynatron R15 and direct die cooling: Is it possible to fit a 25mm fan?

Discussion in 'DAN Cases' started by SilverTurtle, Mar 15, 2019 at 9:51 AM.

1. SilverTurtle

SilverTurtle Cable Smoosher

With the A4's limit of 47mm coolers, combining a 27mm high cooler (such as the Dynatron R15) with a 25mm Noctua fan shouldn't be possible to cool anything with Asrock's x299 ITX board..

That being said, with a delided and direct die frame there would be no IHS and the cooler would be mounted closer to the die, potentially giving more space.. Does anyone know exactly how thick the IHS is for the Skylake X series of chips? if it is approximately 5mm thick, is it possible to make that 47mm of CPU cooler height clearance 52mm by removing that IHS?

2. dfrgu

dfrgu Efficiency Noob

Though I don’t own a Skylake-X CPU, to my experience the IHS are usually no more than 3mm.
    Deliding will help reduce temperature even though you don’t change your cooler at all.

3. dondan

dondan King of Cable Management
    DAN Cases

The noise will be very bad because the fan is too close the vent holes ;)

4. SilverTurtle

Oh there is no doubt, but do you think it is worth a try regardless?

5. HBYR

HBYR Efficiency Noob

How will you make the cooler touch the die in the first place?

6. Vlad502

Vlad502 SFF Lingo Aficionado

#6 Vlad502, Mar 16, 2019 at 11:49 AM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 11:58 AM
  7. SilverTurtle

I've used the Asetek 92mm AIO before with this case and it works really well but I'd prefer to use air cooling if possible.

I know that trying to cool x299 with such a small air cooler/AIO is absurd but it's fun to think about/build, hence why I'm looking into exotic direct die cooling to take it to the next level.

8. dondan

dondan King of Cable Management
    DAN Cases

I think it will be very hard for the R15 to beat the 92 AIO but you can try it. I think the 25mm thick fan idea is not good because the performance increase is not that high, but you can try this:

R15 + A9x14
    R15 + A12x15

If you play with undervolting and long power duration limit the temps will be not that bad.

Maybe also interesting for you:
    https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ock-x299-itx-32-gb-ram-and-a-ftw3.6729/page-2

9. SilverTurtle

I'll give both a try soon and post the results.

mfgillia likes this.