That stupid metal thing and other PITA issues

laughing man

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
1) What is up with with that stupid metal thing that goes around the mother board ports?
I mean it isn't even mentioned in the instructions. Am I supposed to leave some of the metal tabs on? Is it for grounding (doesn't seem likely as my case is painted)? What happens if I busted off the tab over the HDMI completely? Why didn't they just bust out the right holes qt the factory? Only some holes were busted out. I had to bust out some.

2) I am damn glad I now have a ESD mat. Attaching the heatsink would have been a PITA and dangerous without it. My stock heat sink came with a fleck in the paste... had to replace it all.

If it were for that heat sink and that stupid metal thing I would be done now. >:[

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
What is up with with that stupid metal thing that goes around the mother board ports?
yeah more boards should do what ASUS does

unfortunately not a simple solution for thin-ITX boards though, having to consider two IO outlines

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Am I supposed to leave some of the metal tabs on?
yes

Is it for grounding
iirc yes, it grounds the shield to the port (static protection perhaps) and provides some level of EMI / RFI shielding. NFI how critical it is, i have in the past and continue to run a pile of systems w/out an I/O shield, its fine. Im no expert though so perhaps someone w/ more knowledge on this could chime in.

hat happens if I busted off the tab over the HDMI completely?
meh, should be fine.

Why didn't they just bust out the right holes qt the factory?
An I/O shield that isnt punched out properly!? pics?

My stock heat sink came with a fleck in the paste... had to replace it all.
Speaking generally, the pre-applied TIM is garbage anyway and worth replacing w/ basically any other paste.

laughing man

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
I already puched out the bit of metal. So all you would get is pictures of the metal bits. Plus there is no way to add an attachments and I don't feel like signing up for a photo sharing site.

Reactions: Biowarejak

laughing man

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
For future reference, never call biostar on the phone. No one speaks english. Literally. I gave up trying to get them to understand what an I/O plate is. Why isn't this information in the instruction manual? Why?

And does the plate have to touch the hdmi port? Is this for grounding or does it matter?

Reactions: Biowarejak