Temp issues with new mobo and i5 8400

Cel

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Hello!
Since my z370i motherboard from MSI died on me I picked up an Asus Rog strix b360i to use with my i5 8400.
Problem is that after the swap, my temps has gone up considerably.

Before, with nh-l9i i had temps do 65-68 degrees on both CPU and GPU when gaming. That is with 2 X 92mm as intake in the bottom and 2x 120mm on the 1080ti.

Now they are closer to 77-80.
I am now also using the c7 since the l9i was even warmer.

I have tried to set long power limit to 65 with no change to temps .

Why is the temps so much higher with this new board?
Which settings am I missing?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
So, nothing is changed except the motherboard. Fan curves remain the same? I imagine default fan speed setting for your new mobo might be different from the old mobo. Check the BIOS or the Asus software that controls the fans.

Also, do a careful remounting of the heatsink and reapplication of thermal paste. Monitor the idle temp as well. If the heatsink is not installed properly and/or thermal paste is not good, then idle temp should be relatively higher too.

Cel

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
So, nothing is changed except the motherboard. Fan curves remain the same? I imagine default fan speed setting for your new mobo might be different from the old mobo. Check the BIOS or the Asus software that controls the fans.

Also, do a careful remounting of the heatsink and reapplication of thermal paste. Monitor the idle temp as well. If the heatsink is not installed properly and/or thermal paste is not good, then idle temp should be relatively higher too.

I have done so many times now, I gave up and returned the mobo and put out the i5 for sale. Picked up MSI b450i with a r5 3600x instead :)
Thanks for the reply though :)

Mandalorian

Chassis Packer
Jan 1, 2020
i had same issue with i7 8700 and budget motherboard with cheap low quality VRM, mboard would over-volt cpu, while with high quality VRM i got 20C less
quick fix would be lowering voltage but b360 usually won't have lot of offset settings
this is an issue normal atx case, even more with itx where heat dissipation can be challenge