Suggestions please .... Compact case for i9 9900K no GPU

Maat

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
Looking for a case that's compact as possible but still able to accommodate an effective top down air cooler.

Overclocked i9 9900K runs too hot for my current setup.

System is used hard which equates to extended periods of high load overclocked operation.

Not particularly interested in water cooling/AIO style coolers.

I'm not a gamer so don't need to consider a discrete GPU.

All suggestions most welcome.

TIA.

Last edited:

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
what air coolers do you consider effective/are you considering?
what is too hot?
what is your current set up?

Peak power in some reviews is showing over 200w running cinebench, users are talking about the noctua d15 which is a 160mm high twin fan cooler to control temps to around 80deg C. Some reviewers just go straight to watercooling.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
If a discrete display card is not needed, then there are many small cases to be considered. However, their smallness also excludes the use of an effective top down cooler which is usually big (eg Dark Force TF or NH-C14S).

Would you consider a 'test bench'. If you would, check out the Streacom BC1 Mini.

Plus: no worry of case airflow management as fresh ambient air is always around, lower noise, small footprint and size
Minus: dust cleaning more often, no pet or kids around

The is how it would like with a NH-C14S on a BC1 Mini.
You can point the cooler the other way around. I have it this orientation to avoid hitting the display card.

Maat

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
what air coolers do you consider effective/are you considering?
what is too hot?
what is your current set up?

Peak power in some reviews is showing over 200w running cinebench, users are talking about the noctua d15 which is a 160mm high twin fan cooler to control temps to around 80deg C. Some reviewers just go straight to watercooling.

Noctua NH-C14S is first consideration unless there's a superior top down air cooler I'm not aware of. What is too hot? Try 90C+ under sustained all core turbo load. Some would go to water cooling but that's not my preference. I9900K leaves it's 'nominal' 95W TDP far behind when used as intended. That's not news for sure. Current setup is CPU HSF that is optimistic at best. Case is too small for sufficient heatsink or enough airflow.

Last edited:

Maat

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
If a discrete display card is not needed, then there are many small cases to be considered. However, their smallness also excludes the use of an effective top down cooler which is usually big (eg Dark Force TF or NH-C14S).

Would you consider a 'test bench'. If you would, check out the Streacom BC1 Mini.

Plus: no worry of case airflow management as fresh ambient air is always around, lower noise, small footprint and size
Minus: dust cleaning more often, no pet or kids around

The is how it would like with a NH-C14S on a BC1 Mini.
You can point the cooler the other way around. I have it this orientation to avoid hitting the display card.

You're indeed correct many cases available but most preclude the use of a large top down due to height restrictions.

Great suggestion regarding an open air system. I've done this before and will consider it as a serious option.

Only downsides are as you mentioned, dust management and exposed components.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
As you have used a test bench before, I am not sure if you would agree with me that the dust issue is not as bad as it is usually perceived.

Dust is carried into a case by case fans' airflow. The higher the volume of airflow, the more dust get into the case. My HAF932 was a huge dust magnet! But an open system has zero case fan, meaning there is no active bringing in the dust. Additionally, due to a constant environment of fresh ambient air, components' own fan(s) usually spins lower, thus less airflow/dust (and less noise).

The big difference between an open test bench and a case is that, for whatever dust specks settle on an open system, you can see them immediately. You are just made more aware of the dust easily. Only a little dust can trigger a 'clean freak' response. Contrarily, a case is simply not opened up that often and so one is led to think it gets less dusty.

Having said the above, dust gets onto an open system mainly not by airflow but by perpetual overnight settlement, from my own experience. So, I either use a piece of cloth to cover it up if I am on an extended vacation or, in recent years, I just use a minute of compressed air on a weekly basis, just like watering my cactus plant. :)

I would argue, in general, an open system remains cleaner than a system inside a case because it is cleaned much often.

BTW, love to see what you finally choose. Post a few pics of your build if you do not mind.

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
Raijintek metis/metis classic any good for you? gives you up to 160 high coolers

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Ho-humm. Rig a Flex ATX PSU into the Lazer LZ7 in place of the GPU? A flex ATX PSU is just as thick as a two slot GPU and the max GPU length is 186mm llong which gives you squeeeeeze enough space for the 150mm long PSU + cables. Ask https://www.geeekstore.com/shop/custom-flex-atx-modular-psu/ whether 186mm long is enough, otherwise use the FSP500-50FSPT or Enhance ENP-7660B 600W according to this thread you need to be above 450W for the fan to begin really making noise (CPU is 250W at 5.0GHz in a torture loop according to https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html). Alternatively hdplex 400W + external 330W brick or the internal Hdplex unit ought to fit (the latter is 180 x 40, just what we need).

As for the CPU cooler, the specs say "Max CPU cooler clearance 70mm" and you have the SFX PSU on top removed so a 133.5mm high top down cooler should fit which is fortunate because the Dark Rock TF is 130.8mm high and that lists 220W TDP. The Noctua NH-C14S with a 15mm fan (Prolimatech Vertex comes to mind) on top also would fit but the included clips IMO can't keep it in place. If you really want to go that way, perhaps zip tie it to the heatsink or even the vents on the case top, there's not much of a difference...

There won't be a lot of empty space in that case after this which makes me think a smaller case is not possible.

Last edited:

Maat

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
As you have used a test bench before, I am not sure if you would agree with me that the dust issue is not as bad as it is usually perceived.

Dust is carried into a case by case fans' airflow. The higher the volume of airflow, the more dust get into the case. My HAF932 was a huge dust magnet! But an open system has zero case fan, meaning there is no active bringing in the dust. Additionally, due to a constant environment of fresh ambient air, components' own fan(s) usually spins lower, thus less airflow/dust (and less noise).

I would argue, in general, an open system remains cleaner than a system inside a case because it is cleaned much often.

BTW, love to see what you finally choose. Post a few pics of your build if you do not mind.

It's certainly true what you have observed regarding dust accumulation. A conventional in case system requires regular cleaning of filters as a minimum.
I think the issue of exposed components is more of a concern as a single negligent moment can result in an expensive mishap.

Open bench is definitely not a solution for every situation but the dismaying lack of compact cases with provision for a sizable top down HSF inclines me to consider it again as an option.

Certainly keep you posted on the eventual solution.

Last edited:

Maat

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
Raijintek metis/metis classic any good for you? gives you up to 160 high coolers

Looks like a well optimized case but appears designed for side mounted fan on CPU cooler. I wonder how good the airflow through the case would be?

Maat

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
Ho-humm. Rig a Flex ATX PSU into the Lazer LZ7 in place of the GPU? A flex ATX PSU is just as thick as a two slot GPU and the max GPU length is 186mm llong which gives you squeeeeeze enough space for the 150mm long PSU + cables. Ask https://www.geeekstore.com/shop/custom-flex-atx-modular-psu/ whether 186mm long is enough, otherwise use the FSP500-50FSPT or Enhance ENP-7660B 600W according to this thread you need to be above 450W for the fan to begin really making noise (CPU is 250W at 5.0GHz in a torture loop according to https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html). Alternatively hdplex 400W + external 330W brick or the internal Hdplex unit ought to fit (the latter is 180 x 40, just what we need).

As for the CPU cooler, the specs say "Max CPU cooler clearance 70mm" and you have the SFX PSU on top removed so a 133.5mm high top down cooler should fit which is fortunate because the Dark Rock TF is 130.8mm high and that lists 220W TDP. The Noctua NH-C14S with a 15mm fan (Prolimatech Vertex comes to mind) on top also would fit but the included clips IMO can't keep it in place. If you really want to go that way, perhaps zip tie it to the heatsink or even the vents on the case top, there's not much of a difference...

There won't be a lot of empty space in that case after this which makes me think a smaller case is not possible.

Indeed that's probably pushing the minimum limit in terms of case volume while maintaining adequate airflow.

Good suggestions thanks. I'll look into those PSU alternatives. Bit concerned about noise with those smaller PSU fans. System currently runs quiet when idle or lightly loaded and noise is an important criteria for me. However HDplex is an option as you state and would essentially be silent.

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
Looks like a well optimized case but appears designed for side mounted fan on CPU cooler. I wonder how good the airflow through the case would be?

I was looking for a small case, which would allow for leeway if the chosen fan Noctua NH-C14S proved to be insufficient, you could bump up to the noctua d15 without having to buy another case.

How good is the airflow, mmm, I have no experience with this case. As with a lot of cases, its a case (pun not intended) of try it and see what happens.

Maat

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
I was looking for a small case, which would allow for leeway if the chosen fan Noctua NH-C14S proved to be insufficient, you could bump up to the noctua d15 without having to buy another case.

How good is the airflow, mmm, I have no experience with this case. As with a lot of cases, its a case (pun not intended) of try it and see what happens.

The NH-D15 is certainly another level in capability although not top down. I like at least some airflow over the board but a well designed case can perform this role too. Indeed might just have to try a few cases to know what works.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Indeed that's probably pushing the minimum limit in terms of case volume while maintaining adequate airflow.

Good suggestions thanks. I'll look into those PSU alternatives. Bit concerned about noise with those smaller PSU fans. System currently runs quiet when idle or lightly loaded and noise is an important criteria for me. However HDplex is an option as you state and would essentially be silent.

That's why I suggested you to use 5-600W PSUs because at 50%-ish load they are still quiet.

Maat

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
That's why I suggested you to use 5-600W PSUs because at 50%-ish load they are still quiet.

I'm not optimistic any of those FlexATX PSU options are quiet at any load. My experience with FSP units in a server environment where noise considerations are irrelevant is those tiny fans are never idle and therefore unacceptable for a noise conscious desktop scenario.

I'm more inclined to take the HDPLEX route with their AC-DC unit and the 400W HIFI DC-ATX and provide it with some case airflow or use a Dell 330W brick if space is tight.

Fitment issues won't be too dissimilar between the FlexATX or HDPLEX options.

EDIT: Actually it seems HDPLEX have added a nasty little 30mm fan to their AC-DC unit. Perhaps it was always so? Regardless that rules it out as a quiet option if forced air cooling is a necessity.