Discussion Stupid Ideas time....Modifying 10+ year old netbook

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
ok, this is going to come across a little stupid, but its technically a SFF pc. I have an old netbook, Lenovo S10 which i think is dead, or battery is flat. Its very slow when it works and really not very good in todays day and age.

What i was wondering with all the small gear today and the billion tiny laptops around, is there a site, program or anything else that may be around to give me an idea if there is a similar size MB/CPU that i could transplant into this machine? for me i like the 10 inch laptop and would like to see some newer gen hardware ie over the last 5 years and wondering if there are any gems on aliexpress i could get. Maybe a low powered I3 or ryzen etc.. My thoughts were that there is so maybe mobile units that potentially there is one with a similar footprint.

Could be a candidate for the dumbest post of the year, but hey i like the look of this thing and wondering if i can keep it off the e waste rubbish pile.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
The Steam Decks mainboard + cooling solution is pretty small and has phenomenal price/performance. Even if you don't sell the rest of the base model as spare parts... 400€ for 16GB LPDDR5, 4C/8T Zen 2 and 8 RDNA 2 CU's. Outside the Deck any 2280 M.2 SSD would fit...

Maybe you can get only the board as a spare part.. but the differnce in price might not be worth it. Spare parts, more stuff to harvest (battery, speakers,...) and you could at any point cancel your project and put the Deck back together.

I remember the very first Netbooks (Asus eeee?) only had 7 or 8" ;)

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
a similar size MB/CPU that i could transplant into this machine?

Maybe you could somehow mod the Onexplayer for your project... that board is also really tiny...

Last edited:

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
both great ideas, that refurbed Onex looks pretty good, but i couldnt hack it up....The steam deck didnt have anywhere i could find for a replacement board either.

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
Maybe you could somehow mod the Onexplayer for your project... that board is also really tiny...

Just thinking of hand helds, but whats the views on one of those beelink things that has a fanless quad core celeron, they are only 100-120 AUD. Just not sure how to hook the monitor/screen/keyboard etc to it.