Faster OS for my celeron netbook

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Choidebu, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Choidebu

Choidebu King of Cable Management

I was gifted a quite recent convertible laptop/tablet with innards that of a netbook level. It's an hp spectre x360 11-ab035tu, don't let the spectre moniker fool you, this sloth of a pc is dog slow. Cold boot to win10 takes 5 minutes. 15 minutes if microsoft decides it needs an update.

What's inside is celeron N3060, dual core 1.6 GHz with boost up to 2.3 GHz, and 4 gigs of ram.

I'm thinking of turning it into my kid's play tablet, ideally running android just so it can do youtube and some drawing/painting apps, take photos and such.

Linux might be the easiest, but Idk any flavor which interface is optimized for tablet and if there's any drawing programs easy enough for kids to use.

I did found RemixOS, but it's discontinued. Android-x86 has horrible website I can't figure out if it'll work at all.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

2. Choidebu

Hmm searching r/Androidx86, only found one redditor installed the thing in his 11-p007la... an even shittier yesteryear model... maybe I'll try after all...

Anyone knows a guide somewhere? I'd like to dualboot if possible. Or even install it on an sd card is fine.

3. Dstrm

Dstrm Cable Smoosher

Androidx86 isn't worth the time of day imho. Just throw Linux ( Fedora or Ubuntu ) on it and call it good.

thewizzard1 likes this.
  4. sheepdog43

sheepdog43 Minimal Tinkerer

Windows isn't your biggest issue, that internal hard drive is, it's a very, very low speed budget hard drive. It's one of the slowest drives made in the last few years.

Swap it with a low end SSD and you will see that laptop come alive. It will never be fast due to the ram (cpu is not terrible), but spending $30 or so here on an ssd will make a world of difference in usability. My advice, install the cheapest ssd you can find from a known brand then install something Ubuntu based since Ubuntu has some of the best power management among Linux distros. I wouldn't even worry about the ssd size as the new OS won't take up nearly as much space as Windows did.

thewizzard1 likes this.
  5. Valantar

Valantar Airflow Optimizer

Yeah, get an SSD in there and Windows will work perfectly fine - certainly better than any Linux distro off an HDD. Even a budget cacheless drive will be miles better than a HDD.

6. rfarmer

rfarmer King of Cable Management
    Silver Supporter

I picked up a 120GB Adata SSD for my Deskmini 110 for $20, really hard to beat at that price.

7. Choidebu

Why?

Thanks for the suggestions people, can't believe I didn't think to check whether it's ssd or hdd inside. But I still think the cpu's kinda slow for chrome - youtube, it stutters and struggles with each click. I wonder how paint fares...

8. Soul_Est

Soul_Est SFF Guru
    Silver Supporter

I would recommend a SSD like many have mentioned above and Linux on that machine. Pop!_OS or Manjaro to start.

9. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Chief Procrastination Officer
    Moderator LOSIAS

Recycled my wife Netbook (low end AMD fusion APU). It was struggling under windows 10, even after I switched the HDD for an SSD, tried Windows 7 too with no luck.

Solved the problem by installing Manjaro (with KDE Plasma DE).

Soul_Est likes this.
  10. Choidebu

Linux's good and all, but this laptop is touchscreen so that's why I thought Android would be a better choice. And a drawing tablet for a toddler.

How's touchscreen on Linux these days?

11. Windfall

Windfall SFF Guru

On UBUNTU with Gnome, it's great! Free painting software, there's Mypaint, which works good.

Soul_Est and Choidebu like this.
  12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Chief Procrastination Officer
    Moderator LOSIAS

Krita is great for digital painting.

Soul_Est likes this.
  13. Valantar

Valantar Airflow Optimizer

I'm willing to bet quite a lot that a major Linux distro with a touchscreen is better - or at the very least less bad - than Android outside of a smartphone. I love Android phones, but their large-screen interface is terrible, and app support for non-phone screen sizes and interfaces is borderline nonexistent. And a phone UX on a >10" display is bad.

Soul_Est likes this.
  14. Smanci

Smanci SFF Lingo Aficionado

I had one of them n3150 (4c4t) desktop boards with 4GB dual channel 1066Mhz. Nearly unusable on Ubuntu/7/10 paired with 7,2k drive but completely alright with SSD.

Soul_Est likes this.