Stuffing a Sugo SG13

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
A while back I bought a Sugo SG13 and modded to host an SFX PSU. I thought it was a good idea at the time but it turned out that the PSU I have (a semi-passive corsair) heats up A LOT and I ended up with a pretty hot rig despite I could place a bigger fan on the CPU.

So back to square one. I took some measurements and it looks like I can put the PSU on the front of the case... and actually I could go as far as using a full size ATX PSU. Doing so I would also have a full popping 160mm available height for the CPU cooler. This is something I HAD to try!

The components:
- Seasonic ATX PSU
- Noctua c14s CPU cooler
- MSI Aero 1060 (mini GPU)
- Asus strix z270i motherboard
- Samsung 960 pro M.2 SSD

So basically:

Challenge accepted! :)

I'm sure someone already did something like that, let's see what I can do I just hope everything actually fits :)

First step is to find a way to hold the PSU in place. On the bottom there are 4 very cute holes for an HDD I guess. I can put them to good use!

All left to do is to design a support for the PSU that holds on those 4 screws. I ended up with this design

To the 3D printer! See you later and wish me luck.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
So weirdly enough, it worked at first try.

The support holds the PSU pretty well, not rock solid but good enough. I will probably add some support to the top somehow. The front is full of holes for a 12-14cm fan so it should be easy enough.

Since I was at it I also added the power cord extension and made a hole for it on the back (in the only spot I had available). Full gallery follows

all left to do is to check if everything actually fits :p

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Brilliant! As you can see from my thread a few months ago, I have been looking at front mounting an SFX PSU into my SG05.
I was thinking about aluminium and maybe angle pieces, but your 3D printed mount block blows all my ideas away!
Great work, I look forward to seeing how this works out.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
My question could be harsh...don't be offensed...looking at your setup, why didn't you choose hdplex 300w + dell 330w/hdplex ac-dc instead of atx psu?

Maybe too easy for integration...:)

Anyway i'm eager to witness final result..:)

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
I was thinking about aluminium and maybe angle pieces, but your 3D printed mount block blows all my ideas away!
Great work, I look forward to seeing how this works out.

With an SFX PSU you have definitely more options. I was also thinking to use the front side screw holes, but at the end the bottom ones seemed the easiest solution.

My question could be harsh...don't be offensed...looking at your setup, why didn't you choose hdplex 300w + dell 330w/hdplex ac-dc instead of atx psu?

lol why harsh? :) well... the reason is simple. If the wonderful platinum seasonic fits... why not?! I mean the whole point of hdplex is to build a smaller case, but if the case already fits an ATX PSU the only reason to put an hdplex would be because it's easier and we don't do "easier" here :) I also have an SFX PSU, using that would be definitely easier and cable management so much better!

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
So everything fits!

You can't add a needle to it, and the GPU was a tight fit... but I'm so happy with the end result!

The only CPU cooler orientation is with the heatpipes facing the back of the case... and they protrude a few mm out of what was the PSU hole. That's not a problem I'll build a backplate to cover everything. Something like this:

The holes in the middle are for the heatpipes.

Now, since everything went so smooth I want to also rebuild the front panel. The main reason is that I want to customize the I/O ports. The motherboard supports usb 3.1... so why not?! I also want to add an SD card reader and since we are at it, add some supports for cable management.

This is how it is going to be

I've also built a nice power button based on a cherry mx green switch! This is going to be a looong print

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
that's cool. how are the temps?

so far so good. I haven't tested it under stress but at standard usage (internet/video/mail/...) CPU is at 34°C and GPU 43°C (ambient is 25°C).

Hey very nice!

Will you publish these files? If so I may have a go at it too :)

sure no problem, just the PSU rig or the front panel too? it is very customized for my needs.

Reactions: Soul_Est

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
The front panel ended up wonderfully and it fits like a glove on the case. Don't blame me, I only had orange spool available.

All in all it was a pretty smooth build, I just made a small alignment mistake on the SD card reader, but nothing a sharp knife couldn't fix. Also added the back plate to cover the ex-psu-hole. The cherry-mx power button also came out wonderfully, completely flush on the top side. And since I was at it, I added some RGB led because the mobo supports it and so why not?

Gallery follows

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Damn I found those orange ugly...but definitely you are king of 3d printer..:D

ps : I love black & red theme..ahah

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Damn I found those orange ugly...but definitely you are king of 3d printer..:D

ps : I love black & red theme..ahah

lol, yeah that orange is rather bright, but at the end I kinda like the end result. I can always paint it black if I feel inspired. I bought more filaments though. Next time should be better. Now I have to design a case for my wife and I think I'll build it around hdplex stuff...

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
What filament is the orange stuff? Any concerns about heat from the components warping it?

the orange filament is PLA+, but the plastic bits are far away from where heat happens. Also I made the pieces rather thick.

The black filament for the PSU support instead is ABS since that part is supposed to get hotter.