STRIX & Co.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
STRIX & CO.
Hello all and welcome to my second build log!

For those of you that saw my Parvum X1.0 log and enjoyed it I really hope this one will be just as enjoyable.

As money is always a concern for me normally I don't hang on to previous builds. I am in the process of trying to sell the Parvum currently in order to help fund this project. I first wanted to post this to introduce my idea and what parts you can expect from me as well as some ideas for what I have for this project.

The reason the idea for this build came to be is that I was looking for something smaller. The Parvum is quite heavy and not exactly as easy to move as I would like it to be. Also me and my wife are currently in the process of trying to have another baby. Sadly we had a tragic incident last year where mine and hers first child fell victim to a stillbirth and didn't make it through labor. As it's taken time to cope through such and she will always be in our hearts we are trying again. So I am making sacrifices in space to make room in our current living arrangement. So this build log will be more of a build log in that it will also include a whole new desk arrangement. I dedicate this to our angel and may heaven rain diamonds down upon her.

So let's get down to it!

I've been doing research upon research to figure out the best options for my current usage but also want it to be a reliable machine for the next few years.

The motherboard I have chosen for this project will be the B250i Strix. This board may not be out as of yet but that is okay as I am patient. :) Now that the board has been determined let's move on to what we can expect on the CPU end of the scale. As my current usage pretty much just boils down to gaming and maybe some light picture editing strictly for having vinyls cut for my case mods. So nothing too taxing. Currently in my current machine I have a 4690k and as I don't want to really take too much of a performance cut I have decided to go with the Intel 7500. I will be taking a slight clock cut but I will be gaining efficiency which I am more than okay with. Which leads us to what we are going to do for ram currently I am using an 8gb Kingston hyperx fury 2x4gb kit and seeing as it's tried and true I shall be doing the same with this build except for going with a 16gb kit this time around. I will be wrapping them in a nice set of ekwb monarch heatspreaders for paint and aesthetic purposes. More on that later. Onto the VGA card currently I have a GTX 970 mini from Asus and as performance from this still isn't an issue I will be going with a GTX 1060 6gb SC from EVGA. Unless of course the budget ends up allowing for a 1070 then in which I will be going with an aero itx 1070 from MSI. Now onto storage I've been looking into that extremely hard as this is one thing that is always the most expensive and as the case I've decided on doesn't allow for 2.5 inch drives m.2 becomes the only option. It was between the mydigitalssd bpx and the Samsung Evo and as the performance is there on both I've decided on the bpx strictly because of price. Now onto the chassis I've been surfing through these forms for a couple months now and I've had my eye on the S4 and the custommod mini. Seeing as I have cats and don't like the idea of laying the beautiful S4 in horizontal orientation I've decided to go with the custommod mini. And with that being said the psu will be the gunique arch daemon. As I can order the chassis with the psu bundled. Onto color choice. To fit the name and idea for this build I will be going with a RAL 6027 powder coat which is the closest thing to Tiffany blue that RAL colors come to. As this build came from my idea of diamonds I felt like a Tiffany & Co. Themed build was necessary. Thank you all for reading and hope to have some updates for you all relatively soon! :D

TLDR;
Motherboard - Asus B250i Strix
CPU - Intel 7500
RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury
GPU - GTX 1060 / GTX 1070
SSD - MyDigitalSSD BPX 480GB
Case - CustomMod Mini
PSU - G-Unique Arch Daemon 400w
Theme - Diamonds

Last edited:

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Hope you don't mind. Summarizing the parts list from original post.

Motherboard - Asus B250i Strix
CPU - Intel 7500
RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury
GPU - GTX 970 / GTX 1060 / GTX 1070
SSD - MyDigitalSSD BPX
Case - CustomMod Mini
PSU - G-Unique Arch Daemon
Theme - Diamonds- Tiffany & Co.

Looking forward to it!
By all means I was going to do so actually but I started this from my phone and it actually died as I was finishing up almost so wanted to make sure I posted before time was wasted Lol

Reactions: Craxas

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Update 5/20/2017
First small update nothing too awfully exciting since I don't have anything in hand yet but! I did manage to go ahead and pre-order my motherboard :)
(PICS MOVED TO MAIN POST)
Like I said nothing big but it's something also scored some Hyperx Fury ram off CL for a steal so Ill post a picture for that when I get the chance! cheers!​

Last edited:
Reactions: Acalanata

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Update 5/20/2017
First small update nothing too awfully exciting since I don't have anything in hand yet but! I did manage to go ahead and pre-order my motherboard :)

Like I said nothing big but it's something also scored some Hyperx Fury ram off CL for a steal so Ill post a picture for that when I get the chance! cheers!​

Where were you able to preorder the mobo? And why did you go with the B250 over the H270? I'm also just gaming and going to use a i5 7500 but I thought the H270 would add some performance?

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Where were you able to preorder the mobo? And why did you go with the B250 over the H270? I'm also just gaming and going to use a i5 7500 but I thought the H270 would add some performance?
I'm on a pretty tight budget and the h270 doesn't really add much in terms of performance at this form factor afaik it has a couple more 3.0 on the rear io and dual Ethernet as I don't really use anything much to make use of 3.0 and I won't be using dual lan wasn't a big deal to me neither can be overclocked and both only support 2400 for ram and the h270 is the only one that has raid 0 1 5, 10 and Intel srt capabilities none of which I'm going to use. So shaving 10 bucks seemed worth it honestly. As I can only use m.2 ssds in the mini and I've never used raid and don't plan on it since the speed of m.2 is already crazy I just don't see the purpose especially when all I'm going to do is game on it.

Reactions: Jonny727272

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
I didn't think B250 did. Apparently, I was mistaken.
Yeah had that been the case I would have gone with the h270 but the lack of needing any of the extra features it had I couldn't justify the 10 bucks in my budget. Which sounds silly but I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to

Reactions: Biowarejak

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Update 5/26/2017

Another small update that I should have updated a few days ago but I forgot CPU came which I managed to pick up a brand new 7500 for a steal on eBay of 175$ which is impressive to me and I'm very happy about. Free shipping too! GPU has been ordered as well just awaiting that in the mail. Which I'm out of town till Tuesday so hopefully doesn't arrive while I'm gone. Motherboard was supposed to release today according to B&H website but still hasn't shipped and their expected availability thing has an n/a now so who knows when that'll be available or shipped. Not holding my breath for it right now I'll try and be patient or as patient as I can rather. Lol.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Okay so, b&h took way too long. Still hadn't shipped or had the boards in stock so I cancelled my order because shopbiiz had them in stock and I upgraded to the h270i Strix. I have all the other hardware aside from the motherboard right now

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Nice to hear they are in stock somewhere. It may be time for me to pull the trigger...
I'd probably wait till bh gets em in stock. I paid 15 for shipping for standard UPS ground. So idk that its worth paying that much for shipping but I've been without a pc for like almost 3 weeks so I grew impatient

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Well guys small little update
(PICS MOVED TO MAIN POST)
Board came in! Yayyyyy
And then this is what I'm dealing with till my custommod comes and my gury PSU
Gonna pull this crappy antec psu out too soon as the gury comes. Since I ordered the PSU seperate it should be here a tad sooner.
(PICS MOVED TO MAIN POST)​

Last edited:

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
I think you need to move your build log to the space inefficiency thread until your Custommod mini arrives. That is some serious sacrilege right there.
Right? if I hadn't sold the Parvum I think I'd be in great shape. I had it setup on my desk on my mobo box but my cats don't know how to leave anything alone I really need to get myself an itx bench. Was looking at geeekstores but they've been out of stock for a while now :( and I'd make my own but I'm sadly out of acylic RN. That and I can't find my soldering iron to melt the standoffs into a piece even if I had any.