speaker isolation

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
question for the audio people in here just got some new speakers for christmas and want som advice on what (feet/pucks/absorbers/spikes) i should buy to isolate them from the desk they are sitting on

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
Hi steelfractal,

It really depends on your setup, how much room you have to position your speakers, and intended listening experience. For example I don't have a lot of room on either side of my monitors, or distance from the wall behind the desk and I have a set of Vanatoo T0's intended for Near Field listening while gaming etc. Since I can't place them at head height, and they are already angled up slightly in their default configuration, I just got some medium foam wedges that serve as isolation pads, and help angle them properly to head height. Personally the pads do a great job of isolating the speakers from the desk, however I must note that my speakers are a 2.1 setup, and they have a crossover that sends all the low frequencies to the sub so that helps keep the mids and highs clear and less vibration on the desk.

I think pads/absorbers are a good starting point and cost effective too.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
What is your use case, and what speakers do you have, and are they intended for use as near fields?

People can get very tunnel visioned into placebo effect chasing phantom gains. The number of performing Talent out there who don't know about this stuff would astound you--and their butts get saved by the audio engineer.

I use some Audioengine DS1 speaker stands that are basically plastic/rubber wedges; rather than proper elevated speaker stands. They up-angle my near-fields well and do the job. And those near-fields are cabinets not designed to project up at all, do note. And I have cats around and a desk not big enough for elevated stands anyway. OTOH, working in the acoustics realm, I'm enough of an insufferable expret to know how things should sound when they're functioning right.

Reactions: steelfractal

steelfractal

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 15, 2019
What is your use case, and what speakers do you have, and are they intended for use as near fields?

People can get very tunnel visioned into placebo effect chasing phantom gains. The number of performing Talent out there who don't know about this stuff would astound you--and their butts get saved by the audio engineer.

I use some Audioengine DS1 speaker stands that are basically plastic/rubber wedges; rather than proper elevated speaker stands. They up-angle my near-fields well and do the job. And those near-fields are cabinets not designed to project up at all, do note. And I have cats around and a desk not big enough for elevated stands anyway. OTOH, working in the acoustics realm, I'm enough of an insufferable expret to know how things should sound when they're functioning right.
mostly homeuse listing to musik watching youtube playing a bit of games and my setup is a pair of dali oberon 1s and a yamaha wxa 50 amp

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
mostly homeuse listing to musik watching youtube playing a bit of games and my setup is a pair of dali oberon 1s and a yamaha wxa 50 amp

If you can get the speakers to converge at a comfortable sitting height, the DS1s are perfect in this use, and no need to drill holes in the wall:

There are other similar products out there too:

If the relationship of your desk and ears is just wrong...I'd otherwise get some speaker stands, Here's another, or wall mount them if you can put holes in the walls.....looks a bit tidier on the desktop, if that matters to you....ofc most PC speakers and bookshelves don't have wallmount hardware in the cabinets, so some creativity would be needed.

Reactions: steelfractal

steelfractal

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 15, 2019
If you can get the speakers to converge at a comfortable sitting height, the DS1s are perfect in this use, and no need to drill holes in the wall:

There are other similar products out there too:

If the relationship of your desk and ears is just wrong...I'd otherwise get some speaker stands, Here's another, or wall mount them if you can put holes in the walls.....looks a bit tidier on the desktop, if that matters to you....ofc most PC speakers and bookshelves don't have wallmount hardware in the cabinets, so some creativity would be needed.
narrowed it Down to the Fluid Audio DS 5 the kanto s6 and the Audioengine DS2
i measured and the s6 and ds2 fit the size of my speakers better than the s2 and ds 1

thank you vere much for narrowing it down and give me recommendations that i completely missed that are way less expensive than the stuff i was i was originally looking at was in the 100-160$ range